• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU's Patterson embraces new path to Big 12 title

Endless Purple

There's no reason to declare an outright champion, just do it like every league did until they split into divisions, call them co-champions....because that's what they are. Why should the winner of the HTH team's loss not essentially not count, it was a conference game just like all the others. In every other sport if two teams tie for the best record in the league, they either play it off with another game or consider them co-champions. In basketball if Kansas goes 16-2 in conference play with 2 wins over Oklahoma and Oklahoma goes 16-2, they share the regular season conference championship. And that's how it should be.
QUOTE]
I have no problem with split championships, as I also prefer that. Just that everyone in power seems to think that a single champion is necessary and for that scenario, H2H is the best option.

In your last sentence you're suggesting OSU wasn't one of the best 4 teams? Did you not watch them manhandle Alabama and Oregon in the playoffs? TCU fans like to point out that our hammering of Ole Miss was proof that we were one of the best 4 teams. Well, why can't that same logic be used for OSU? I've said this before, as everyone on here already knows I'm sure, but I don't know why OSU is the target of all the bitching. They had a better resume than Oregon, and I think pretty much proved they were a better team than Oregon. But nobody here wants to complain about Oregon, I guess because they don't quite fit the "ESPN is in the tank for the Big 10 and blue-bloods" narrative.

If anything, if the CFP committee should be getting ridiculed, it should be for having OSU #6 (or #5, whatever it was) prior to the last week of the season because they were clearly much better than that.
I think FSU was the worst team (Oregon next), but they were undefeated and I would not have kept them out. As far as OSU, you are using games after the decision to justify the decision - that assumes they can see the future. Before the playoffs, OSU's resume was not better than TCU's, close but not better. The B1G was very down that year. I try not to assume based on hindsight what the decision should be based on facts at the time. Same as when I laugh when people say Louisville should have been invited with TCU and WVU.

PS. This sight is a royal pain to post on when only some the letters I type actually show up and auto is changing some words. Only on this sight.

SwissArmyFrog

I don't buy that a bunch of old farts who've been in football all their lives for some reason can't make a decision about which teams they truly believe are the top 4 after an entire season of football.

They're going to put in who they want to put in. One year, they'll float the idea that a deserving team didn't get in because it didn't have a CCG. Another year, they'll put in a team that didn't even make it's CCG because they were "deserving". They'll make decisions, and then find excuses to justify those decisions, no matter how (ir)rational.

MN Frog

The rematch isn't any big deal, but I still think this game is unnecessary. The same thing could be accomplished by just beefing up OOC schedules, starting with not allowing FCS opponents. Instead of promoting the uniqueness of the conference because of the round robin format it's like we're the weak kid trying to be like the everyone else.

This isnt a viable solution. The Big XII already plays a tougher schedule than many in the SEC. 9 P5 conference game and typically another P5 school a directional school and an FCS. Most SEC teams play one less P5 school with their 8 conf game plus 1 P5 schedules. Many of them schedule 2 directional schools and an FCS.

Boren wasnt wrong to say we are disadvantaged at 10 teams. I still believe adding 2 teams is the way to go.