• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU won’t alter SA curfew despite Boykin’s 2015 bar fight

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU won’t alter SA curfew despite Boykin’s 2015 bar fight

BY CARLOS MENDEZ
cmendez@star-telegram.com

TCU will return to San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl with the same curfew and bed check procedures as two years ago, when Trevone Boykin was arrested and sent home following a bar fight, coach Gary Patterson said.

“It was tight last time,” he said Friday after practice when asked if curfew restrictions would be tighter for this trip. “We had bed check. He was in bed check. We knew what we were supposed to do. You can’t control knuckleheads.”

Boykin received a year’s probation and was fined $1,500 by a Bexar County court on June 30, 2016. He was charged with assault of a public servant for an incident at a San Antonio bar early on the morning of Dec. 31, 2015, days before TCU was scheduled to play Oregon in the Alamo Bowl.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article190160689.html

ShreveFrog

Having no inside knowledge, I had no reason to worry about TB's off-field habits. Still no inside knowledge but feel that KH now has his wheels set straight. Hope all the Frogs do.

But man, I remember. After TB arrest, I didn't really feel like going to the game, but hell, we had tickets and a hotel. Long drive to SA. Rain and cold on drive. Get there. Rains the whole time, including walk to the stadium in our panchos. Down 31-0 at half. Had to loot bottles of water from an unmanned, unlocked concession stand because the concession sitchyation was ridiculous. (I'm not proud) Back to my seat. Miserable. See Coach P come out in a purple shirt. I started laughing. And then ...the magic began.

So dang glad I went. Thank you, Bram! Thank you Frogs!

Beat the hell out of Stanford!

Moose Stuff

Having no inside knowledge, I had no reason to worry about TB's off-field habits. Still no inside knowledge but feel that KH now has his wheels set straight. Hope all the Frogs do.

But man, I remember. After TB arrest, I didn't really feel like going to the game, but hell, we had tickets and a hotel. Long drive to SA. Rain and cold on drive. Get there. Rains the whole time, including walk to the stadium in our panchos. Down 31-0 at half. Had to loot bottles of water from an unmanned, unlocked concession stand because the concession sitchyation was ridiculous. (I'm not proud) Back to my seat. Miserable. See Coach P come out in a purple shirt. I started laughing. And then ...the magic began.

So dang glad I went. Thank you, Bram! Thank you Frogs!

Beat the hell out of Stanford!
Unfortunately I was not surprised at all that he got in trouble (didn’t think he’d punch a cop). My oldest was a freshman at the time. TB liked to have a good time and didn’t really try to hide it.

Last edited:

BleedNPurple

Would be nice to have the team alsontreat this as a business trip. The Fiesta bowl bust due to over partied receivers who stayed out all night ruined that experience. While it’s a reward for the players the fans would like to see their real team show up. I can’t imagine this team wants to go out with another loss after the embarrassing azz whipping OU put on us. I’m hoping for a good game and a Frog win!

jake102

Unfortunately I was not surprised at all by that he got in trouble (didn’t think he’d punch a cop). My oldest was a freshman at the time. TB liked to have a good time and didn’t really try to hide it.

It was more shocking that it took until his last game as a Frog for it to happen. I knew a grad assistant during his freshman/sophomore years and was told that he was pretty rough.

MTfrog5

Didn’t read the article but I feel like it’s a dumb article to write. He snuck out after curfew. If curfew was 8 or 11, he still would have been out.

French Frog

Unfortunately I was not surprised at all that he got in trouble (didn’t think he’d punch a cop). My oldest was a freshman at the time. TB liked to have a good time and didn’t really try to hide it.
I remember that in almost every game TB played he would start cramping up sometime during the game. I always wondered if he had been drinking alcohol the night before, subsequently leading to dehydration and cramping on game day. Playing at this level these kids need to learn how to take care of their bodies.

For TB, cramping ended up being the least of his problems.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Would be nice to have the team alsontreat this as a business trip. The Fiesta bowl bust due to over partied receivers who stayed out all night ruined that experience. While it’s a reward for the players the fans would like to see their real team show up. I can’t imagine this team wants to go out with another loss after the embarrassing azz whipping OU put on us. I’m hoping for a good game and a Frog win!

I don’t know, when I was working I always tried to treat business trips as mini-free vacations. But I know what you are saying...

maximilian

I remember that in almost every game TB played he would start cramping up sometime during the game. I always wondered if he had been drinking alcohol the night before, subsequently leading to dehydration and cramping on game day. Playing at this level these kids need to learn how to take care of their bodies.

For TB, cramping ended up being the least of his problems.

I remember TB's recommitment to eating better playing a big part in his resurgence after the new OC's arrived. He stopped eating fast food, IIRC, and lost something like 10-15 lbs. prior to the 2014 season.

He just enjoyed partying and living it up. It is what it is.

Limp Lizard

Apparently it was San Antonio and not Boykin that was at fault? No mention of tighter restrictions before last year's bowl game. In a city known for its nightlife. Dumb question, IMO.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
You could make the curfew earlier if you want. But Patterson did the best thing could have possibly done to correct the behavior: kicked Boykin out of the game. Lesson to everyone.