• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU to focus on more than NIT while in New York

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: TCU to focus on more than NIT while in New York

BY JIMMY BURCH
jburch@star-telegram.com

TCU travels Sunday to New York to begin is NIT preparations, with men’s basketball coach Jamie Dixon planning to mix in a few life lessons and sight-seeing opportunities for players as part of the process.

With the NIT venue, Madison Square Garden, also serving as the site of this weekend’s Sweet 16 games for the East Region of the NCAA Tournament, the Horned Frogs (22-15) will have two practices in other area venues before a Tuesday morning shoot-around at the Garden.

TCU will practice Sunday at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, N.Y., where Dixon’s sister Maggie served as the Army women’s coach before her death in 2006.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports...niversity/article140413758.html#storylink=cpy

FrogCop19

West Point should be a great experience for the team. Everyone should visit once. The men and women are true examples of what honor, duty and country mean. Toss in the sacrifice, dedication and discipline they have shown and these are some of the most impressive people in our country.

I know it's a pipe dream and would never happen, but I was really hoping that the Big XII would drop Baylor and add in the three military academies. Air Force and Navy are vastly improved over the past few years, and adding in that level of discipline and respect into the conference would be nothing but a positive.

TCUdirtbag

Per article, other than the West Point visit/practice, the other practice will be at Baruch College. NIT has one official dinner. Planned trip to ground zero/9-11 memorial, and a late night gyro street vendor stop. BParrish lobbying for a trip to the Central Park zoo.

tcumaniac

Didn't know about Jamie's sister. Sounds like a really sad deal.

After her team lost their first round game, Maggie attended the men's Final Four in Indianapolis, then flew to the women's Final Four in Boston. She attended a Nike party in Boston on Monday, April 3 with a number of other coaches, including Geno Auriemma, and WBCA president Doug Bruno. The following day, Maggie returned to West Point, where she watched the women's final game with her brother. The following day, she collapsed and was rushed to the base hospital. She was next airlifted to Westchester Medical Center in nearby Valhalla, New York.[4]

Doug Bruno changed his flight plans to fly to New York to see his former assistant. She was still alive when Bruno arrived, but she died the following day from what her brother described as an "arrhythmic episode to her heart."[4] Dixon died a little over a month shy of her 29th birthday. An autopsy revealed that Dixon had an enlarged heart and had a problem with a heart valve.

lento-maggie-jamie-dixon.jpg

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Didn't know about Jamie's sister. Sounds like a really sad deal.

After her team lost their first round game, Maggie attended the men's Final Four in Indianapolis, then flew to the women's Final Four in Boston. She attended a Nike party in Boston on Monday, April 3 with a number of other coaches, including Geno Auriemma, and WBCA president Doug Bruno. The following day, Maggie returned to West Point, where she watched the women's final game with her brother. The following day, she collapsed and was rushed to the base hospital. She was next airlifted to Westchester Medical Center in nearby Valhalla, New York.[4]

Doug Bruno changed his flight plans to fly to New York to see his former assistant. She was still alive when Bruno arrived, but she died the following day from what her brother described as an "arrhythmic episode to her heart."[4] Dixon died a little over a month shy of her 29th birthday. An autopsy revealed that Dixon had an enlarged heart and had a problem with a heart valve.

lento-maggie-jamie-dixon.jpg
Come on man, the story was posted here in 2006.

Nick Danger

You too good for food trucks? Too good for gyros?

I think it's awesome
Exactly, that would be a more singularly memorable activity for the team, as would going to the Central Park Zoo, than the requisite visit to the 9-11 Memorial, which strikes me as more of a PR stunt for the school.

Last edited:

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
Glad the team is getting the opportunity to enjoy the NIT ride. So much better than an NCAA one and done like SMOO got.

Hornedfrog431

Exactly, that would be a more singularly memorable activity for the team, as would going to the Central Park Zoo, than the requisite visit to the 9-11 Memorial, which strikes me as more of a PR stunt for the school.

Is that a joke? Pr for the school?

I've never been to the memorial but I will some day and I'm assuming that's the same for half of the players. I don't think that's a PR move.