• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU ready to replace Hughes' leadership

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/04/06/20...leadership.html

[SIZE=14pt]TCU ready to replace Hughes' leadership[/SIZE]

By STEFAN STEVENSON
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

Jerry Hughes was not only a devastating force for opposing offenses to constantly deal with, but he was also the vocal leader on the TCU defense that topped the nation the last two years.

His leadership was especially important to the Horned Frogs' defensive line, a void likely to be filled next fall by seniors tackle Cory Grant, right end Wayne Daniels and nose tackle Kelly Griffin.

Redshirt freshman Stansly Maponga has taken the lead in the Hughes replacement sweepstakes at left end. Maponga was at end last fall but briefly had moved to tackle before coaches decided end was a better fit. At the same time, they felt D.J. Yendrey was more comfortable inside, coach Gary Patterson said. Junior Braylon Broughton, the initial No. 1 on the depth chart, is still giving Maponga a battle.

"Spring is a chance for your team to get better and see what you've got going," Grant said. "Right now, the competition is pretty nice, they're both playing pretty good."

As for their leadership roles, Grant and Daniels are both ready for the challenge. It's something Patterson expects out of experienced seniors, especially "if you want to have the team we want to have, they have to be the guys that do that."

"We're trying to be more vocal," Grant said. "Not necessarily individually, but as a unit and as seniors. We have quite a few seniors this year, so along with [linebacker] Tank [Carder], we're trying to motivate each other as a group."

Said Daniels: "I think all four of us, even the new guy, need to raise it a little bit. We need to compete like we did when Jerry was here."

Running back shuffle

Aundre Dean is back with the running backs after working exclusively with the safeties during the first half of spring and in December.

Freshman Dwight Smith continued to open eyes with several big hits and big runs this week during scrimmages.

"He works against the 3s, but he's learning and he's getting better every day," Gary Patterson said of Smith. "We're happier with where he is than nine practices ago."

Tank sidelined

Tank Carder didn't practice during the Frogs' scrimmage at Amon G. Carter Stadium on Tuesday. The junior sustained a minor shoulder injury last week and was held to limited action Friday and Monday and wore the protective red jersey to ward off contact.

"He dinged his shoulder a little bit last week," Gary Patterson said. "But he practiced all day. [Kris] Gardner has already been down with a knee injury, so we couldn't afford another linebacker injury. I already know what [Tank] can do."

Banquet seats available

A limited number of general-admission tickets remain for the Frogs' Saturday banquet at Daniel-Meyer Coliseum. Reserved seats, which include dinner at a table on the floor, are sold out.

General-admission tickets are available for $15 through the football office or online at www.gofrogs.com. Tickets must be purchased by 5 p.m. Friday. Those seats will open at 7:30 p.m. for the program, which honors the Frogs' senior class and begins at 8 p.m.

Highlights of the '09 season will be shown, plus Gary Patterson will be presented with the Bobby Dodd Foundation National Coach of the Year Award. Attendees will receive a commemorative gift from the Bobby Dodd Foundation.

Stefan Stevenson, 817-390-7760

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
rickserth on Saturday, who attended practices last week, told about moving Maponga inside and Yendrey to end, then switching them back.

Good to hear Maponga and Broughton are having a good battle.

It is interesting and curious about Dean going back to RB, with the depth there and I thought we needed depth at safety?

Burner1

Tier 1
QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 7 2010, 07:02 AM) [snapback]541562[/snapback]
It is interesting and curious about Dean going back to RB, with the depth there and I thought we needed depth at safety?

Yeah, that's disappointing. We need him at safety.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
QUOTE(Burner1 @ Apr 7 2010, 07:41 AM) [snapback]541569[/snapback]
Yeah, that's disappointing. We need him at safety.

It was a planned move from the start of spring, don't read a lot into it. Not a reflection on his progress at safety and who knows, maybe he'll be the next great two-way player.

Houston Frog

My guess is we are fine at safety and we are fine at RB, so Patterson just moved Dean back to his more natural position.

1.) Dean didn't want to move to safety, he wants to play RB.
2.) I think Patterson may have been reaching a little here and trying to live up to his "defensive guru/mad scientist/position switcher" moniker. Sometimes a big bada$$ RB is just that, a big bada$$ RB.

Mike Brooks

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 7 2010, 06:02 AM) [snapback]541562[/snapback]
<br />rickserth on Saturday, who attended practices last week, told about moving Maponga inside and Yendrey to end, then switching them back.<br /><br />Good to hear Maponga and Broughton are having a good battle.<br /><br />It is interesting and curious about Dean going back to RB, with the depth there and I thought we needed depth at safety?<br />

I wonder if Maponga is that good or if Broughton still isn't reaching his potential. I guess if you are going to have a problem there are worse ones than this. Both will get plenty of playing time regardless.

Houston Frog

Everything I've read is that Maponga is an absolute beast, and that the coaches really had to make an effort not to pull his redshirt last year.

Mike Brooks

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Apr 7 2010, 07:50 AM) [snapback]541591[/snapback]
<br />Everything I've read is that Maponga is an absolute beast, and that the coaches really had to make an effort not to pull his redshirt last year.<br />

If Maponga wins the battle hopefully it fills BB with rage when he gets on the field. I pity our opponents.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
QUOTE(froglicious @ Apr 7 2010, 08:44 AM) [snapback]541589[/snapback]
I wonder if Maponga is that good or if Broughton still isn't reaching his potential. I guess if you are going to have a problem there are worse ones than this. Both will get plenty of playing time regardless.

Maponga just brings a lot of energy to his play and kid just never quits.

West Coast Johnny

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Apr 7 2010, 05:40 AM) [snapback]541585[/snapback]
2.) I think Patterson may have been reaching a little here and trying to live up to his "defensive guru/mad scientist/position switcher" moniker. Sometimes a big bada$$ RB is just that, a big bada$$ RB.

Right, Patterson was thinking about his image when he made the switch. Maybe he'll move Dalton to linebacker for his image.

SnoSki

QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Apr 7 2010, 02:26 PM) [snapback]541620[/snapback]
Maponga just brings a lot of energy to his play and kid just never quits.

But surely CGP is putting the best player forward.. if Maponga is the one, then great. if not, then great. Both will be good players, but I still can't help but think that we would've heard more about BB dominating in practice by now..

talor

QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ Apr 7 2010, 09:29 AM) [snapback]541662[/snapback]
But surely CGP is putting the best player forward.. if Maponga is the one, then great. if not, then great. Both will be good players, but I still can't help but think that we would've heard more about BB dominating in practice by now..

I think it would be hard for someone to dominate against our OL.

SnoSki

QUOTE(TCUTalor @ Apr 7 2010, 03:33 PM) [snapback]541665[/snapback]

Excellent point. Maybe dominate was too strong a word. All I know is that Maponga seems to be getting more praise/write ups than BB... and Maponga is getting more attn from CGP. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Wayne showed some signs of dominance last year, I'm hoping that kicks into high gear this season. We've been spolied as of late with our DE play (the last 3-4 years really).

West Coast Johnny

QUOTE(froglicious @ Apr 7 2010, 05:44 AM) [snapback]541589[/snapback]
I wonder if Maponga is that good or if Broughton still isn't reaching his potential.

I don't understand why Broughton with his physical skills has so much trouble rising to the top of the depth chart. When he was on the field last year, he played very well. I remember some bone rattling hits on Max Hall for example. Does Braylon "bring-it" in practice like he does in the games?

Houston Frog

QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ Apr 7 2010, 10:23 AM) [snapback]541658[/snapback]
Right, Patterson was thinking about his image when he made the switch. Maybe he'll move Dalton to linebacker for his image.

Cause that's the point I was trying to make

I think Braylon is reading too much still learning assignments once he figures that out and just plays he will dominate. Just needs more time defense is complicated I mean sometimes our D-Ends drop in coverage remember Hughes covering a pass play 50 yards deep in BYU game. Everyone learnds at a different pace. Good news is we need a rotation of players so they are all fresh the whole game so starting isn't that big of a deal for our players. We play a lot and develop back ups with real game experience.

Limp Lizard

QUOTE(TCUTalor @ Apr 7 2010, 10:33 AM) [snapback]541665[/snapback]

Boise didn't have many problems at all.