• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU linebacker shakes off Butkus snub

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: TCU linebacker shakes off Butkus snub

BY JIMMY BURCH
jburch@star-telegram.com

In a summer marked by recognition for TCU football players on 10 watch lists for national awards, it is puzzling that a preseason all-American failed to crack the top 33 candidates at his own position for one honor.

But that is the case for linebacker Travin Howard, who led the Big 12 in tackles last season (130) and was projected in June as a first-team all-American by Lindy’s College Football National 2017 Preview.

The senior from Longview was left off the list of top candidates for the Butkus Award, given to the nation’s top linebacker, yet surfaced on two other lists designed to honor the best overall defensive player: the Bednarik Award and Nagurski Award.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports...niversity/article163325323.html#storylink=cpy

Sockem

He will be fine, he has been on a few watchlist and has plenty of recognition. The biggest snub this preseason has been Texada - No Preseason All Big after being named AP All Big 12 and no watchlist after shutting down the top receivers in the big 12.

FrogLifeYo

If Howard was a bit bigger he'd be an NFL draft pick...If we get good play out of our interior defensive lineman, both Howard and Summers will have monster years. The def line play has been less than stellar over the last few seasons. Historically, we've had dominant defenses when our tackles have been dominant and been able to control others run game . All the talk last year about being undersized at LB while true, wasn't the real issue. Our defense line got manhandled and could keep opponents from getting to the second level. GP has always and will always value speed over size at the LB position

JugbandFrog

If Howard was a bit bigger he'd be an NFL draft pick...If we get good play out of our interior defensive lineman, both Howard and Summers will have monster years. The def line play has been less than stellar over the last few seasons. Historically, we've had dominant defenses when our tackles have been dominant and been able to control others run game . All the talk last year about being undersized at LB while true, wasn't the real issue. Our defense line got manhandled and could keep opponents from getting to the second level. GP has always and will always value speed over size at the LB position
Our D Line was playing a strange D Line technique. I argue piss poor coaching, but I think it was/is a shift in how LHCGP wants them to play.

Wexahu

Our D Line was playing a strange D Line technique. I argue piss poor coaching, but I think it was/is a shift in how LHCGP wants them to play.

Lots of containment, much less getting upfield and attacking. I'm sure there's a good reason, I'm just not sure what it is. It's frustrating watching defensive ends look like they are just trying to hold their position.

Mean Purple

Wasn't TH the player GP said had a surgery and was down in weight last year while trying to get back to full speed?

And he led the league in tackles???

I sense somebody going all beast mode this season.