• The KillerFrogs

FWST: SMU tried to salvage rivalry game with TCU. But TCU says it wasn’t a ‘possibility’

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
SMU tried to salvage rivalry game with TCU. But TCU says it wasn’t a ‘possibility’

BY DREW DAVISON

SMU tried to salvage this year’s football game against TCU, SMU athletic director Rick Hart told The Dallas Morning News on Wednesday morning.

Hart said he spent a day and a half trying ensure the game would be played this season, going as far as offering to play it in Fort Worth for a second consecutive season, but those attempts were unsuccessful.

In an email to the Star-Telegram, Hart said there wasn’t much discussion beyond this year’s game. It’s unclear if the expectation would have been for TCU to play at SMU in 2021 because it became fairly evident the 2020 game would not be played even if SMU traveled to Fort Worth this year.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article244741902.html

Oh yeah, Smooo, play at TCU in front of a COVID-19 reduced crowd, and then switch to SMU in 2021 when the crowds will be back to normal.

Nice try. that crap.

ftwfrog

I thought this game would have made sense. Very little travel, chance to play a somewhat meaningful game, get revenge on the ponies. Instead we go play a team we all have zero interest in.

JugbandFrog

When we play some lousy SHSU type team, and we get players catching Covid because the other team can’t afford to keep their players as covid free as a team with our kind of resources, we are gonna be kicking ourselves.

asleep003

I thought this game would have made sense. Very little travel, chance to play a somewhat meaningful game, get revenge on the ponies. Instead we go play a team we all have zero interest in.
My thoughts too... but a UNLV/ Ten Tech / SMU before the season closes down... then pickup conference games in the spring... would have been OK.

McFroggin

Considering we lost to them last year, yeah. I have interest in playing them again.

SMU is a lose-lose team that we’ve played way too much. If we win, it’s expected as they generally suck, so we get 0 credit by the public. If we lose (rarely but it’s their rivalry game), it tanks our season. They travel very poorly, so they don’t improve revenue. I can’t give away the tickets to SMU alumni I know as they have no interest in attending. I wouldn’t be disappointed to never play them again.

HG73

I like playing smu every year, mainly because I live in the Dallas area and like going to their place, but this series does more for them than it does for us.

Froginbedford

When we play some lousy SHSU type team, and we get players catching Covid because the other team can’t afford to keep their players as covid free as a team with our kind of resources, we are gonna be kicking ourselves.

Well, even though SMU probably can keep its players as Corona free as we can, will it be more worth playing SMU than SHSU if any Frogs contract the virus? I don't get a gut feeling that this season will see a completed 10-game schedule....

netty2424

Silver lining here is, SMU would’ve buried our strength of schedule so in order to really build up the resume for that playoff run, we had to put a blue blood powerhouse in Tennessee Tech on the schedule.

One that also has a medical staff and testing measures in place that only rivals TCU’s. Clearly SMU can’t put those types of programs in place to meet our standards.

ECM

None of this matters because we won’t have a season. So I will just go around believing SMU would’ve whooped TCU again this year