• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Remember ’13 weather delay? TCU’s Gary Patterson learned valuable lesson

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Remember ’13 weather delay? TCU’s Gary Patterson learned valuable lesson

BY STEFAN STEVENSON
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

MANHATTAN, KAN. – You’re all jacked up, ready to hit somebody before suddenly you have to go into relax mode.

That’s what TCU had to do when the start of its game against Kansas State was delayed almost three hours after a lightning strike near Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Saturday. The original 11 a.m. start was first pushed back to 11:45 a.m., then again to 2 p.m. Even after three quarters were in the books another lightning strike forced an additional hour-long delay.

What a beating.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article178969026.html

Limp Lizard

Stick to attendance pictures, Stefan.
Like I say to posters here: that squiggly red line under a word means something!

That 2013 game came to mind while I was waiting and I hoped GP had learned from it. He did. His ability to criticize himself is one of his strengths, IMO.

Last edited:

Purp

They were WAY better than us that night.
Indeed, but that was my point. I don't think they were 27 points better than us that year and I think the extreme delay had a lot to do with it. Texas handled it better than us in 2013 and we learned from it and didn't have a let-down this year.

BleedNPurple

I was thinking about that UT game. We should have won and weren't having any trouble with them until the delay. It seemed like our team checked out during the delay and must have gone over to a bar or something. Texas came back out and were suddenly a football team for the first time all year. I too was hoping coach had come up with a better way to handle this situation - glad he did. I was thinking that you really have to have a plan of how you handle your team in this rare situation. Whatever UT did that night it worked for them.
Keeping the players loose is the main thing - and I think feeding them probably helped. They had energy vs post breakfast / missing lunch crash.

LSU Game Attendee

I was so excited about Jordan Moore at RB back in those days. Later I was really pro-Trevorris. I have since ceased emotional investment in any particular name at RB, so that should help.

Froginbedford

To be fair, the 2013 of UT football sucked arse also. They were not any better than us and certainly not as much as the score would indicate.

And that was the year UT fired Mack Brown...not that there was anything wrong with that....

And Mack mentioned that in the Alamo Bowl...feeding the team during the delay...and then coming out and winning the game....

Is there any way to get around the Startlegram's pay wall? I only the meal during the break this time around from a poster's reply....Get redirected to some vague news story when I try to get on the sports pages....

Leap Frog

And that was the year UT fired Mack Brown...not that there was anything wrong with that....

And Mack mentioned that in the Alamo Bowl...feeding the team during the delay...and then coming out and winning the game....

Is there any way to get around the Startlegram's pay wall? I only the meal during the break this time around from a poster's reply....Get redirected to some vague news story when I try to get on the sports pages....

Right double click on the link. Then one left click back on link-- that does it for me., but remember, I didn't say a word.:rolleyes:.

Limp Lizard

Just delete the startlegram cookie. It will work for one article, then you have to do it again.

Ron Swanson

Indeed, but that was my point. I don't think they were 27 points better than us that year and I think the extreme delay had a lot to do with it. Texas handled it better than us in 2013 and we learned from it and didn't have a let-down this year.
Weren’t they beating us pretty good before the delay?

Purp

Weren’t they beating us pretty good before the delay?
I remembered it being reasonably close.

I looked it up and it was 17-7 when the delay hit. It was 10-7 after the 1st quarter and then they scored again before the break to make it 17-7 half way through the 2nd quarter.

Not exactly neck and neck, but they were within striking distance before the delay. We couldn't do anything after the delay, though. There was a noticeable difference in how we played before and after.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/article3836228.html
http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/332992628

YA

on the broadcast the crew mentioned that Snyder went to the 13' Gary route by having walk-throughs again and some unit breakout meetings. Intresting