• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Patterson: Receivers need to put TCU offense in better hands

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: Patterson: Receivers need to put TCU offense in better hands

BY CARLOS MENDEZ
cmendez@star-telegram.com

Last year at this time, TCU coach Gary Patterson saw something in practice he hasn’t forgotten.

“I told you guys out of spring we weren’t catching the ball,” he said. “And we didn’t catch the ball in the fall.”

TCU receivers last season cost quarterback Kenny Hill more dropped passes than any other quarterback in the country, according to a count by Pro Football Focus. Taj Williams, the Horned Frogs’ leading receiver, wound up with 39 catches — so few, it didn’t make the NCAA’s list of 203 receivers in catches per game.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports...niversity/article142013099.html#storylink=cpy

McFroggin

How many of those drops were thrown at their ankles or four feet above their head?
How many of those drops were thrown at their ankles or four feet above their head?

Dropped passes in this statistic is calculated to where the ball basically hit them dead in the chest - impossible to blame anyone but the WR. There were plenty more drops that I would argue were the WR fault that wouldn't be in this statistic , i.e. The ball hit their face mask or just below the belt.

Then even more drops where Hill got the ball to touch outstretched hands, knee level, etc that are still possible catches in 2015.

In other words, this statistic makes our WR core look like 2016 was the worst we've ever had.

BleedNPurple

Dropped passes in this statistic is calculated to where the ball basically hit them dead in the chest - impossible to blame anyone but the WR. There were plenty more drops that I would argue were the WR fault that wouldn't be in this statistic , i.e. The ball hit their face mask or just below the belt.

Then even more drops where Hill got the ball to touch outstretched hands, knee level, etc that are still possible catches in 2015.

In other words, this statistic makes our WR core look like 2016 was the worst we've ever had.

Think it might have been!

cdsfrog

Zero. If you include balls that could have been caught that weren't great throws, its 75 drops. If you include uncatchable balls it's about double, nearly the exact number of incompletions.

"So far, balls are being caught".....so there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel?

Those positive responses from Gary....scare the (censor) out of me.

cdsfrog

"So far, balls are being caught".....so there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel?

Those positive responses from Gary....scare the (censor) out of me.

Well if our receivers were just average last year, we catch at least 40 more passes. Screw that [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] drop number. Some of those would be dropped anyways, but others could have and should have been caught as well. Worst WR group since I have been watching in 17 years or so. Just nightmare bad. Wrong routes, dropped passes, quit on routes, terrible blocking etc.

finafrog

could the receivers issues be a major reason why meach left (or was encouraged to leave)? he was in charge of receivers, correct?

Frogcrates

Yup, that generated pretty much the exact response I was expecting. Lighten up folks, I wasn't being serious. Plenty of blame to go around for last year's offense.

cdsfrog

Yup, that generated pretty much the exact response I was expecting. Lighten up folks, I wasn't being serious. Plenty of blame to go around for last year's offense.

Again. Respective to performance for talent, that was the worst wide receiver group in 20 years for TCU. They dropped almost everything that wasnt perfectly catchable and then dropped a [ Finebaum ] load of those. They were so much worse than the #2 team in drops its not even funny.

The dropoff from wide receiver production in 2016 from 2015 was bigger than the drop in QB production. They were horrible at everything and other than a few games they sucked at everything. I love the team but the Kenny Hill bashing is infuriating.

Tom Brady would have sucked last year. The wide receivers rarely got open, when they did they ran the wrong route or dropped so many passes. They never blocked for screens and quit on dozens of passes.

Oline against the run had a cliff like drop as well, running backs underachieved as well.

ifrog

Again. Respective to performance for talent, that was the worst wide receiver group in 20 years for TCU. They dropped almost everything that wasnt perfectly catchable and then dropped a [ Finebaum ] load of those. They were so much worse than the #2 team in drops its not even funny.

The dropoff from wide receiver production in 2016 from 2015 was bigger than the drop in QB production. They were horrible at everything and other than a few games they sucked at everything. I love the team but the Kenny Hill bashing is infuriating.

Tom Brady would have sucked last year. The wide receivers rarely got open, when they did they ran the wrong route or dropped so many passes. They never blocked for screens and quit on dozens of passes.

Oline against the run had a cliff like drop as well, running backs underachieved as well.

Thank you. Someone gets it

Limp Lizard

Maybe some of the drops were because the receivers were startled to see a ball on target!

Remember in baseball they say a team plays better defense with a pitcher works fast. Maybe the same thing last year, the receivers were bored/discouraged by poorly/late thrown balls. QB and receivers are a team effort.