• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Once junk, Oklahoma-TCU now a thriving enterprise

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Once junk, Oklahoma-TCU now a thriving enterprise

BY Big Steaming Pile
tengel@star-telegram.com

The play was “Green 24-448,” and Jeff Dover didn’t see the end of it. He could only hear it.

“Green 24-448” was 21 years ago, when Jeff Dover was a redshirt freshman quarterback at TCU making his first collegiate start, against Oklahoma in Norman.

“The first play they called for me was this short little screen and I was so nervous I threw it right into the ground,” Dover said.

“Green 24-448” came later in the first quarter. It was a play-action pass that Dover turned into a 52-yard touchdown throw to receiver Jason Tucker to give TCU a 10-0 lead at Oklahoma on Sept. 7, 1996.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article183297801.html

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
I’ll never forget that game, after dodging pennies and empty bottles setting up for the halftime show we returned to our seats to find that several Sooner fans raided our section stealing items from the band.

About 5 mins into the 3rd we saw the guilty parties sitting in the end zone a couple sections over, they were holding up our belongings and laughing. I grabbed an Oklahoma cop and marched right over to get our things back and have more than one of their drunk asses thrown out.

As I was walking back down the stairs the maroon morons hurled unoriginal insults and spare change in my direction-keep in mind I still had a cop with me who did nothing. Finally having enough I simply turned, pointed to the scoreboard and yelled “take a look.” Most of the crowd seemed to sober up from the comment looking sheepishly, but more than a few laughed it off.

I had a great time, from that point forward, after each TCU score getting others to turn to that same end zone section and heckle the now morose fans who thought we were nothing but little old T-C-Who.

Great day.

Last edited:

TCU2002

Some nice history in that artice.

I was not there for 1996, but the 1998 contest against OU was the first home game of my freshman year.

I will forever remember a late 4th quarter play that transpired directly in front of the band. With OU trailing 9-7 and having recovered the onside kick Mac mentioned, they ran a pass play in TCU territory that the Frogs intercepted, seemingly sealing the win, but then fumbled during the return which allowed OU to retain possession. It was maybe 2 or 3 plays later that the Sooners kicked the winning field goal. OU fans and players celebrated like they had won the national championship. They had beaten TCU, a 1-10 team the previous year, by one point.

The Sooners promptly went on a 5 game losing streatk and finished 5-6. TCU went to the Sun Bowl and won.