• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Listenbee needs Dallas more than HBO

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Listenbee needs Dallas more than HBO

BY Big Steaming Pile
tengel@star-telegram.com

Former TCU wide receiver Kolby Listenbee had his moment on HBO Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel on Tuesday night and the net effect is two field goals when trailing by three touchdowns.

Listenbee is suing TCU head football coach Gary Patterson, TCU and the Big 12 Conference. His attorneys have been lining up interviews with whomever in an effort gain support in the public, and to pressure the school.

The first large national outlet to give Listenbee a platform was ESPN's Outside the Lines, and it was a miss for the player.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article209776999.html

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Even if this case gets tried in Dallas, have we seen anything at all from the KL camp that substantiates any of his claims?

Won’t make any difference if the jury pool has so many anti TCU or clueless people in it that our defense counsel runs out of strikes. That is why pltff counsel wants this in more liberal jurisdiction with the potential for more anti or neutral sentiment as to TCU. It is also why the Big12 was names, even they have no dog in the fight. This seems to be tenuous way of getting this in Dallas.

Frog-in-law1995

Won’t make any difference if the jury pool has so many anti TCU or clueless people in it that our defense counsel runs out of strikes. That is why pltff counsel wants this in more liberal jurisdiction with the potential for more anti or neutral sentiment as to TCU. It is also why the Big12 was names, even they have no dog in the fight. This seems to be tenuous way of getting this in Dallas.

That’s why Defendants filed a declaratory judgment action in Tarrant County first.

Frog DJ

I think my old coach was kind of relieved when I got hurt and couldn't play.

Just kidding - he was a great coach, who taught us as much about life as sports.

The whole "...or it will be your fault..." assertion is suspect because KL was never a centerpiece in the Frogs' game plan, to begin with.

TCU had Doctson, Boykin and Green in those days, and Listenbee was rarely more than the guy who could stretch the field with his speed.

Even if the proceedings are held in Dallas County instead of Tarrant County - there seem to be some major holes in KL's lawsuit.

Especially based on his performance at the NFL Combine.

But I'm not a lawyer, and I'll defer to the expertise of those who are...

Go Frogs!

Last edited:

H0RNEDFR0G

Is the claim that Patterson pressured him to play when the medical staff had not cleared him?

If so, I'm not sure that he could have played anyway.
If the pressure came after he was medically cleared to play, I don't see what the issue is. If I told my employer that I didn't feel good and didn't want to come into work, but couldn't provide a doctor's note I would be fired on the spot. Seems like a scholarship player, cleared to play, who chooses not to play should be in the same boat.

Leap Frog

Whatever happened to the paper that athletes had to sign before playing that cleared the school if injury occurred?
In part, it said they were entering into a sport that was dangerous to play voluntarily, and were aware of any outcome.
TCU has had many players who were injured, and had their careers cut short-- but, only one lawsuit that I recall.(Kent Waldrep).

Frog-in-law1995

Is the claim that Patterson pressured him to play when the medical staff had not cleared him?

If so, I'm not sure that he could have played anyway.
If the pressure came after he was medically cleared to play, I don't see what the issue is. If I told my employer that I didn't feel good and didn't want to come into work, but couldn't provide a doctor's note I would be fired on the spot. Seems like a scholarship player, cleared to play, who chooses not to play should be in the same boat.

I understand and agree with your larger point, but is the bolded part really true? You can’t call in sick without actually providing a doctor’s note?

H0RNEDFR0G

I understand and agree with your larger point, but is the bolded part really true? You can’t call in sick without actually providing a doctor’s note?

I was thinking about it in terms of when the office started to ask about why I had been out. You're exactly right that if this was a day or two I wouldn't need a note. But say I'm 2 weeks into "not feeling well" I think they'd want to see a doctors note. But I didn't write that; so good point.

Timing is important.

flyfishingfrog

I was thinking about it in terms of when the office started to ask about why I had been out. You're exactly right that if this was a day or two I wouldn't need a note. But say I'm 2 weeks into "not feeling well" I think they'd want to see a doctors note. But I didn't write that; so good point.

Timing is important.
exactly - most companies have a point where an extended absence becomes a Short Term Disability potential issue and will most likely require confirmation that you are ill and in need of extended time away. And then will want confirmation that you are able to return from a physician before you return.

Had to give both of those a lot during my days practicing.

And I can tell you that just like with a scholarship athlete - if a doctor says you are too sick to work, they won't let you work even if you want to and once you are confirmed healthy enough to return, a company is going to expect you to return to work if you want to keep your job.

H0RNEDFR0G

I'm sure that this has been done before; but I wanted to bring it up to anyone who wants to help TCU's case.

In the 2014 season KL's production of 41 catches for 753 was enough to earn him the honor of being #13 in the B12 at YPG that year. He was also #13 in the B12 at total receiving yards.

Although his 2015 season was indeed a step down; he still managed to snag 30 receptions for 597 yards, enough to make him #16 in B12 at YPG and #16 at total receiving yards that year.

Here's where it gets interesting. Had he sat out the entire 8 weeks that he claims to have needed to sit out for rest and recovery:

15 receptions (Not in the B12 top 50)
304 yards (39th in the B12)
50.6 ypg (17th in the B12)

This doesn't take into consideration that sitting out 8 weeks would've shown that he can't play through an injury (an unstated requirement in the NFL). It's worth noting that 142 of his 304 yards came from a 70 to 7 throttling of Stephen F. Austin. In the mind of an NFL scout this would have to be heavily discounted.

I wonder how many WR's have been drafted this millennium with 304 receiving yards in their final season, that never finished in the top 100 of total yards, ypg, or catches, in the nation?

Last edited:

Bob Sugar

Listenbee has moved to dismiss the Tarrant suit under Rule 91a, which is set for a hearing in Fort Worth on May 11 at 10:30. It is open to the public, should anyone care to go watch.

The defendants have filed a motion to transfer the Dallas case, due to the first-filed rule, which is set for hearing in the Dallas court on June 18, also open to the public.

Latest posts