• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Lance Brown laid the path for TCU baseball success

ectofrog

Guys, as someone who roomed with two TCU baseball players my whole time at school, during the Brown era in the late 90's/early 2000's, I can tell you that Eric Hyman's statement in that article...

'Not as long as you're here we won't.'

...is absolutely true.

Brown might have put together the funding to keep baseball at TCU and that deserves mention and credit. And he might have once been a really good college baseball coach. But by the time my buddies were playing for him, he wasn't.

They've looked at the current administration with Schloss, including going to practices and tons of games, and both easily and quickly point out that Jim is leaps and bounds ahead of Lance...and they're not just basing that on results on the field, cause obviously Schloss does have more to work with here with the facilities.

But LB, according to them, had turned into a guy who didn't work very hard coaching up the players, played favorites, often screamed obscenities at the whole team or at individual players, and just generally seemed to me like a man who had given up.

One of my buddies on the team was a kid who was drafted straight outta HS, decided to come to TCU anyway primarily because of the opportunity to work with Nolan, got to TCU and Nolan was gone (nobody told him of course), and the coaching he received at TCU (which should have been from Brown himself, as he was a pitcher) was simply not very involved or detailed. He never got drafted again, never played pro ball.....now he got a great education at TCU and is a success in life, but the man will always wonder what might have been if he'd just gone to the minors and gotten better coaching.

I may have already said too much here, and if so - mods please feel free to delete. I'm not naming any names, nor bagging on any player - past or present, and I figure this is all fairly ancient history and many already know these things. But if this is too much info for this board, I completely understand and won't mind at all if my post is removed.

Anyway, Hyman played this one just right, and we now have one of the best coaches in the country. Go Frogs...let's take this thing down TONIGHT!

QUOTE(ectofrog @ Jun 6 2010, 02:04 PM) [snapback]569545[/snapback]
Guys, as someone who roomed with two TCU baseball players my whole time at school, during the Brown era in the late 90's/early 2000's, I can tell you that Eric Hyman's statement in that article...

'Not as long as you're here we won't.'

...is absolutely true.

Brown might have put together the funding to keep baseball at TCU and that deserves mention and credit. And he might have once been a really good college baseball coach. But by the time my buddies were playing for him, he wasn't.

They've looked at the current administration with Schloss, including going to practices and tons of games, and both easily and quickly point out that Jim is leaps and bounds ahead of Lance...and they're not just basing that on results on the field, cause obviously Schloss does have more to work with here with the facilities.

But LB, according to them, had turned into a guy who didn't work very hard coaching up the players, played favorites, often screamed obscenities at the whole team or at individual players, and just generally seemed to me like a man who had given up.

One of my buddies on the team was a kid who was drafted straight outta HS, decided to come to TCU anyway primarily because of the opportunity to work with Nolan, got to TCU and Nolan was gone (nobody told him of course), and the coaching he received at TCU (which should have been from Brown himself, as he was a pitcher) was simply not very involved or detailed. He never got drafted again, never played pro ball.....now he got a great education at TCU and is a success in life, but the man will always wonder what might have been if he'd just gone to the minors and gotten better coaching.

I may have already said too much here, and if so - mods please feel free to delete. I'm not naming any names, nor bagging on any player - past or present, and I figure this is all fairly ancient history and many already know these things. But if this is too much info for this board, I completely understand and won't mind at all if my post is removed.

Anyway, Hyman played this one just right, and we now have one of the best coaches in the country. Go Frogs...let's take this thing down TONIGHT!

That was my experience too. He was not very hands-on. He left a lot of it on his assistants but it was way too much for a couple guys to handle. I learned a lot from Donnie Watson and really appreciated his coaching but I don't recall LB doing anything more than working on his fungo skills.