• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Lance Brown laid the path for TCU baseball success

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
[SIZE=12pt]FWST: Lance Brown laid the path for TCU baseball success[/SIZE]

By Big Steaming Pile
tengel@star-telegram.com

The glittering baseball stadium on Berry Drive in Fort Worth that has been full all weekend nearly never was.

There was even a time in the not-so-distant past when TCU baseball was debated as a sport that was going to be dropped in an effort to come closer to NCAA gender equity requirements.

And although the name Lance Brown is not plastered all over TCU's new Lupton Baseball Stadium, it was the efforts of the Horned Frogs alum and longtime baseball coach that made the existence of the program and this facility possible. ...

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Brown is one of many longtime TCU coaches and athletic department members who were slowly pushed out as the department modernized itself at the turn of the century.

Mac, don't forget to zip him up and wipe your mouth ...

Thanks to his efforts, as well as former players such as Roger Williams, the money was raised in less than two months. The stadium opened in 2003, and TCU finished 35-22 and in second place in Conference USA.

And this is why Williams and not Brown has their name on the stadium.

Thanks for not being mad Lance.

HG73

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jun 6 2010, 09:11 AM) [snapback]569400[/snapback]

Always liked Lance Brown. Never liked Hyman. Always thought Hyman probably told Brown something like that. Jerk. Really like Schloss, obviously, would be great if he could bring Lance back in some capacity.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(HG73 @ Jun 6 2010, 09:15 AM) [snapback]569402[/snapback]
Always liked Lance Brown. Never liked Hyman. Always thought Hyman probably told Brown something like that. Jerk. Really like Schloss, obviously, would be great if he could bring Lance back in some capacity.

Glad you liked the previous three decades of ineptness and incompetence by TCU and not so much the change, improvements and turnaround ...

Ohiofrog

Great article. I think we all have a special place in our memories for Brown, Killer, Wacker... Those were all special men.

Phil Snider

Lance Brown played favorites worse than any coach I have ever seen. I think he was more concerned about getting good tee times instead of being out recruiting towards the latter part of his career.

I have no doubt he loves TCU. I just think he got complacent and Hyman had the balls to basically tell him the program was moving in a new direction without him.

tetonfrog

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jun 6 2010, 02:22 PM) [snapback]569414[/snapback]
Glad you liked the previous three decades of ineptness and incompetence by TCU and not so much the change, improvements and turnaround ...

I always liked and respected coach Brown. I was at TCU in the early '90s and we we had a good team every year. He was a really nice guy to me, probably the best of all the TCU coaches. I'm not arguing with you Top about his overall performance, but your comments sound pretty nasty. He was a member of the TCU good ol' boy network with Windegger, but it's hard for me to think bad of him. I guess I don't have the insider info you do.

Nothing against coach Schloss, who is doing a great job, but I remember the old stadium as very junior high. The cement riser in the center field? Our American Legion stadium in Bartlesville was nicer than the old TCU Stadium. Curious timing about the story, however, and I hope coach Brown gets to watch the Frogs in th CWS this year. Go Frogs!

Wiley

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jun 6 2010, 02:22 PM) [snapback]569414[/snapback]

Would you blame Patterson if the football team played in a sub par high school stadium with 1 paid assistant?

Get a grip. Everyone is happy about the current state of TCU baseball and the head man. LB deserves much more respect than you show. He's 100% more Frog than you. Keep in mind there are many killerfrog readers/posters that were part of your so called "three decades of ineptness..."

Dogfrog

I hate revisionist history. While we're at it, let's bring back Frank Windegger. :wacko:

Thanks to Hyman, we progressed out of our good old boy network.

HToady

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Jun 6 2010, 10:17 AM) [snapback]569433[/snapback]
I hate revisionist history. While we're at it, let's bring back Frank Windegger. :wacko:

+1

Wiley

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Jun 6 2010, 03:17 PM) [snapback]569433[/snapback]
Thanks to Hyman

Puke. Hyman wanted to flush baseball like mens soccer.

geno

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jun 6 2010, 08:11 AM) [snapback]569400[/snapback]

Top, are you this nasty with everyone who disagrees with you? You are?

Dogfrog

QUOTE(Wiley @ Jun 6 2010, 11:48 AM) [snapback]569471[/snapback]

All I care about is TCU and all I know is Hyman didn't flush baseball, he hired Schlossnagle instead of retreading some TCU ex. Get over your little personal issues and see the big picture.

QUOTE(Phil Snider @ Jun 6 2010, 09:35 AM) [snapback]569421[/snapback]
Lance Brown played favorites worse than any coach I have ever seen. I think he was more concerned about getting good tee times instead of being out recruiting towards the latter part of his career.

I have no doubt he loves TCU. I just think he got complacent and Hyman had the balls to basically tell him the program was moving in a new direction without him.

Couldn't agree more. I tried to walk on in '97 and was kind of shocked at the low level of overall talent considering three years before they won a conference title. It got me wondering how many favors had been done. Most of the guys were royal awholes too (which is somewhat expected in baseball but I felt like I was in high school again...guess I just expected college ballplayers to be a little more mature) with the exception of a few. Terrance White, Matt Howe, and Sam Lunsford were some of the few that I enjoyed being around. My uncle knows the family of another player on that team and they never had anything good to say about Brown despite the fact that their son did get quite a bit of PT.

Brown also coached at Irving MacArthur in the 70s with similar complaints. He's now coaching at All Saints. We were eating at a Mediterrannean place over off 7th a couple months ago and our waiter said he played ball there. According to him, the players love Brown and what he described was nothing like the Brown that I experienced. Maybe he mellowed out in his years.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Lots of respect here for Coach Brown and what he was able to accomplish at TCU. Never played for the man, but he helped my son a lot. Remember many long hours at the old batting cages with Chris Connelly working with the kid and both would come out looking like they had been in the showers. Chris would often shake his head and on numerous occasions just would say how the program at TCU would just explode if they had better facilities.

Brown did a tremendous job with what he had to work with. Paschal had better facilities than TCU at the time. He was able to bring in some very good talent despite the odds against him and both he & Chris were just great to work with (there was also a pitching coach who was part asian that was tremendous but forgot his name, great guy though.)

Anyway, the comments made previously are definitely uncalled for and seen a lot less get removed, but then again I am not a moderator but the selective enforcement here is absurd.

Frog79

All I know is that we have one of the best coaches in the nation now and I follow TCU baseball rabidly whereas before the Schloss/Lupton upheaval I could never get interested in it. Brown seemed to be a reasonably competent coach but Schloss is much hungrier and has taken it to the next level.

One Horned Frog

Is running off nolan Ryan laying the path for a program. I can't believe someone wrote this article? His negative attitude was a cancer to this program. Even with our old stadium any coach worth a flip could put together a winning program at tcu. Nice guy off the field though.

Frogs1983

QUOTE(Wiley @ Jun 6 2010, 11:48 AM) [snapback]569471[/snapback]

Didn't he run Tubbs off too?Men's BB program has been in the toilet ever since! :wacko:

Shooter

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Jun 6 2010, 10:17 AM) [snapback]569433[/snapback]

Well said and right on the mark.