• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Jim Schlossnagle’s lateral move from TCU to Texas A&M is all about timing | Opinion

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Jim Schlossnagle’s lateral move from TCU to Texas A&M is all about timing | Opinion

BY BIG STEAMING PILE

Everyone at TCU who knew Jim Schlossnagle accepted that this was not his final job.

Schloss’, 50, likes TCU and Fort Worth, but after 18 years here he was interested in something else. He just wasn’t sure what that was.

Another school. Possibly a position on an MLB bench.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article252015628.html

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Call me old school, but no way I'd counter. If someone wants to leave, I wish them the best. If they are chasing money, they always will.
Seems more like ego. We could have matched the money. He wants more people looking at him. Bigger crowds.

lowfrog

Looks like this confirms the whole sneaking out the back door of the locker room and players finding out on social media story. Not that I doubted, really. Not a good look. Also out of character for the man, and I think a man in a lot of pain. For his sake I hope it passes soon. As for Aggy, they can KMA
"out of character... a man in a lot of pain." Makes me wonder. Maybe the man left because he believes he can't make the changes to himself he needs to make at TCU and needs a change of location in an effort to make it all work again for him. Maybe he has lost himself and needs to find himself. Maybe he doesn't want to drag TCU and TCU Baseball through his journey. What if he is unsuccessful in his journey? Maybe he is concerned about what happens to TCU Baseball if he fails in his journey at TCU and implodes. What if he is actually doing TCU and TCU Baseball a favor? We won't know for a while. Human beings are complex and a lot involved in this situation.

flyfishingfrog

And yes, he confirmed that Donatelli was authorized to make a huge counter offer.

Boy did Donati royally screw this up!

Signed,

flyfishingfrog
They called a special meeting of the BoT over the weekend to get the offer approved - so not really a secret anymore

it was just way too late - that was the only “timing” that was right for A&M - we just didn’t get our crap together in time (like during the previous 3 weeks after Tadlock came off the table for example) and Schloss had made up mind already by the time the offer got approved

So why did we have to call a Saturday night emergency meeting of the BoT to try and cobble an offer together when we had known for weeks he was a target for Aggy and potentially others?

and why were some of the requests made to the BoT in the emergency session the first time a few had ever heard about them when we knew they had to approve anything?

So yeah - he did majorly screw it up and frankly his lack of getting to resolved in the weeks ahead and Schloss bull headedness about the fact that he wasn’t getting a response is what led to it all being too late. Lots of ego involved on both sides

which is somewhat the concern with the current search that seems to actually not have been started at any level before this and we got caught flat
Footed - even having to find a search firm to help from scratch

Article wasn’t bad although mucks explanation on Miss St situation is a bit fantasy
[

flyfishingfrog

He wasn't going to stay. It didn't matter what we did. Quit making excuse for him and for the way he left. He is now persona non grata.
You have an opinion

I know what he told me directly

but you are correct - he is gone and it no longer matters

Other than we were really unprepared for it obviously based on what has happened since

hopefully things pick up now that we have got a team focused on the search

East Coast

Tier 1
"out of character... a man in a lot of pain." Makes me wonder. Maybe the man left because he believes he can't make the changes to himself he needs to make at TCU and needs a change of location in an effort to make it all work again for him. Maybe he has lost himself and needs to find himself. Maybe he doesn't want to drag TCU and TCU Baseball through his journey. What if he is unsuccessful in his journey? Maybe he is concerned about what happens to TCU Baseball if he fails in his journey at TCU and implodes. What if he is actually doing TCU and TCU Baseball a favor? We won't know for a while. Human beings are complex and a lot involved in this situation.
People don't leave for big time jobs (even if you consider this a lateral move) out of concern or consideration of their old employer. JS left because he wanted to.

East Coast

Tier 1
You have an opinion

Other than we were really unprepared for it obviously based on what has happened since

If we were unprepared for this we have a big time problem in the AD's office. You always have a plan for when/if any of your key employees leave.

TXTXFrog

You are giving him a lot of credit.

LisaLT

JS was “gone” long before he left. This isn’t about money. This was about wanting a bigger stage and one in the SEC. I don’t think Donati could have done anything to change his mind.

As far as the SEC goes, A+M is a bottom tier program IMO. This move is not a lateral move, it’s a downgrade. LSU, Florida, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Miss State - all better programs. Jim has his work cut out for him.

All I’d like to know is when are we going to complete our hiring search whatever and move on? Who cares about an ex coach and what they are doing.

PurpleBlood87

You have an opinion

From what he told me in an email he was still weighing his options Monday. Now that could have been all BS. But he sounded pretty sincere.

From what he told me in an email he was still weighing his options Monday. Now that could have been all BS. But he sounded pretty sincere.

PurpleBlood! Long time my friend... By the way, I've recently been involved in an exciting property opportunity in Florida, we are going to get an exclusive license to develop some swampland into what will be the PREMIER entertainment complex outside the hottest Florida town, Ocala. Would you be interested in learning more? By the way, we are getting ready to close our first fundraising round, $10,000 per investor with a guaranteed return of 10x, if you want me to sneak you in just wire me the money today and I'll work some magic!