• The KillerFrogs

FWST: How a TCU urban legend grew out of Oklahoma’s famous winning streak

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
How a TCU urban legend grew out of Oklahoma’s famous winning streak

BY JOHN HENRY
Special to the Star-Telegram

It is a trap of history, a chronicler of important events wrote long ago, to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through.

However, as it concerns the TCU urban legend that grew out of the Horned Frogs’ game at Oklahoma in 1954, it was all those who came after that gave the myth gazelle legs.

As No. 6 TCU goes to No. 5 Oklahoma on Saturday, it’s a good time to revisit one of college football’s greatest (non) stories.

In 1954, in an age in which the internet didn’t yet spread untruths as fast as a flip of a light switch, the Horned Frogs, with future All-America Jim Swink, indeed came within six points of ending what eventually became the Sooners’ national record 47-game streak.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article183658571.html

Frog DJ

I vaguely remember my dad talking about this story, but I was only 6 years old when it happened, so I have no direct memory of it.

Go Frogs!

Leap Frog

Those of us at the game thought it was a td, since the field judge had ruled that way. Frogs outplayed the Sooners and they were lucky the play was overturned-- legal catch or not. This game was a signal of things to come in '55 and '56, with chances at NC's.

Part of the story left out was that TCU had taken a train to Norman, and the thing was late. The conductor stopped the train and the players had to run across an open field to barely make the kickoff. Things are in a better shape now, in a lot of ways. Good memories anyway.

W

Way of the Frog

One point mentioned in that article that I could not tell you the last time it happened is the TCU player Hill had played at Poly High School.

Who was the last Poly player to play for the Frogs because they were terrible when I was at TCU in the 80's and I don't think they have gotten much better the past 3 decades.

Frog DJ

One point mentioned in that article that I could not tell you the last time it happened is the TCU player Hill had played at Poly High School.

Who was the last Poly player to play for the Frogs because they were terrible when I was at TCU in the 80's and I don't think they have gotten much better the past 3 decades.
I can’t say for sure, but didn’t Hunter Enis graduate from Poly?

Go Frogs!

Deep Purple

Say it ain't so, John Henry!

I've always loved that story, but always had my doubts about it too. Too sad to have your doubts confirmed. Like when you learn that Santa Claus isn't real, but you still wanna believe.