• The KillerFrogs

FWST: For years, TCU’s kicker spoiled Gary Patterson. Can somebody do it again?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: For years, TCU’s kicker spoiled Gary Patterson. Can somebody do it again?

BY CARLOS MENDEZ
cmendez@star-telegram.com

For years, Gary Patterson could call for a field goal and it would be just about his least stressful moment in a game.

He sure would like that feeling again.

“We’ve been very fortunate we had a guy like Jaden the last couple of years,” the TCU coach said at Big 12 Media Days last week. “Look at the Alamo Bowl. He came in for like a 46-yarder, and I didn’t even think about it.”

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article164027497.html

tcudoc

Oberkrom-High-Five.gif

Limp Lizard

Two thoughts:
  1. Would you rather have a kicker with incredible accuracy inside of 40 yards including 100% PAT but with limited range, or one with Oberkrom+ range but average accuracy? I know you want range and accuracy, but if you had to choose.
  2. That brought to mind Ross Evans who was excellent at field goals but amazingly bad at PAT's. In 2010, he was #20 in FG % and #89 in PAT%. In 2011 tied for #17 in FG% and #80 in PAT%. He reminded me of a basketball player who makes shots from all over the court but struggles with free throws.
BTW give me the guy who is a sure thing inside 40 and PAT's.

What is the probability that we will see any substantial improvement in this very critical area? David Andrews,

the Michigan transfer, ranked #10 nationally when recruited by the Wolverines, has yet to perform in a college game.

lowfrog

What I hope happened this past year is that GP and staff sent every one of the kickers to Oberkrom's Kicking Academy. And when each one came back to campus, they had to show GP and the staff their graduation certificates.

www.texaskicking.com

I can't believe Oberkrom missed 21 field goals in his career? I don't remember that many. Ask Florida State about how important a great kicker is? How many Wide Right and Wide Left championships did they miss out on to Miami? A bunch. Now Florida State is NFL kicker U. TCU needs to fix this huge part of the game who is going to be the man? I bet Song will emerge.