• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Del Conte: ‘I understand angst’ on TCU-Ohio State football change

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
So I guess to the first part, you can't point to any evidence? As to the second, CDC is the one talking about the negativity associated with a huge loss. Maybe they only want it to happen once instead of twice?

I was being sarcastic...

Uncle_Frog

Father of Pharm said that two of his golfing buddies - both of them multi-sport TCU season ticket holders and fairly prominent from what I understand - got in an argument about this oSU game. One of them claims that there was never an intention of having home-and-home. That it was a marketing strategy from its announcement to get more fans eager to go ahead and buy up season tickets with an expectation of increasingly attractive home schedules. The other one said that this was not true and that it was done simply to increase the payout and that the Frogs were about to be bought-out and left-out.

Personally, I don't see why these both can't be true. He said that neither ever believed that oSU would be coming to ACS but that they were already season ticket holders so it really didn't matter. And I think that's what's galling some people on here - that this was imminently predictable (and predicted).
Uhhhh 2018 season tickets aren't even on sale for another year so that one guy seems like a dunce. If anyone actually thinks that someone bought 2017 season tickets because we were playing Ohio State at home in two years, then I've got some beachfront property in Midland I'd like to show them... 2018 season tickets will include Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Texas Tech, etc. That's a pretty sweet lineup still and for the price we pay, we get great value in today's current CFB market.

Dogfrog

Uhhhh 2018 season tickets aren't even on sale for another year so that one guy seems like a dunce. If anyone actually thinks that someone bought 2017 season tickets because we were playing Ohio State at home in two years, then I've got some beachfront property in Midland I'd like to show them... 2018 season tickets will include Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Texas Tech, etc. That's a pretty sweet lineup still and for the price we pay, we get great value in today's current CFB market.

Well yea but I think the point was if you don't renew in 2017 you are out for 2018?

Dogfrog

Frankly the only thing about this whole thing that bothers me is the public comments about not wanting to get our [Art Briles] kicked. Hope that didn't come from GP, doubt it did. If that came from CDC I'd send him home for a couple days.

Uncle_Frog

Well yea but I think the point was if you don't renew in 2017 you are out for 2018?
I was assuming the same thing and it sounds pretty dumb to be honest. If someone was buying season tickets for two years just to watch Ohio State then why wouldn't they just stubhub tickets for that game? In the next two season we will play Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Texas Tech, Baylor, and more at ACS. We sure have come a long way in our entitlement in 5 short years in the Big XII if that isn't good enough to buy season tickets anymore....

Uncle_Frog

Frankly the only thing about this whole thing that bothers me is the public comments about not wanting to get our asses kicked. Hope that didn't come from GP, doubt it did. If that came from CDC I'd send him home for a couple days.
I agree that those comments were alarming. Maybe when we scheduled this series several years ago we thought we would have recruited better in the Big XII or something? But that comment came off as we are not on their level. Mentioning possibly losing "by a large margin" just seems to sit wrong with me.

frognutz

Frankly the only thing about this whole thing that bothers me is the public comments about not wanting to get our asses kicked. Hope that didn't come from GP, doubt it did. If that came from CDC I'd send him home for a couple days.

I have no inside information, but wouldn't be surprised at all if GP's thoughts on moving from 2 games to 1 game weren't a meaningful factor in the decision. I say this because I remember some of his comments after the LSU game about being "glad that was over with" and additional things along those lines. I remember it being odd at the time. If the guy with his own statue outside the stadium is telling you this 2 to 1 switch is for the best, then what are you going to do.....

Last edited:

Boomhauer

I agree that those comments were alarming. Maybe when we scheduled this series several years ago we thought we would have recruited better in the Big XII or something? But that comment came off as we are not on their level. Mentioning possibly losing "by a large margin" just seems to sit wrong with me.

Anyone have a link to those comments?

stbrab

Where in Midland?:)