• The KillerFrogs

Frogs pursuing the NFL.....

LexiMax

And got rewarded with 1st Team All Big 12 coaches and AP - and SB Nation All American. So we are all dumb and you are the expert that saw something totally different from the coaches who had to game play against him. So maybe you should be the GM and lead us in the right direction.
Then why wasn’t he invited to any All Star games or the Combine? It wasn’t because of me. He is a great kid but not a NFL player. But I hope he gets a chance.

Moose Stuff

He was a stud!!!!

Absolutely. Ability overcame the size. If RT doesn’t make it it will because of the lack of ability, not the lack of size. Or perhaps it would be more realistic to say it would be due to some combination of both. Just saying size alone won’t be the reason.

Sockem

Look at the stats. What about West Va? That was embarrassing. Washington had 153 yards. Lazard had 103 yards.

Since we want to make this about Texada, I'll defend him. But my original point was for all these defensive guys. Those West Virginia TD's were not on Texada. Did you see something I didn't see. He broke up the final pass to end the game - got a big sack to give our defense momentum. Washington had one big play in the game, an 85 yard TD so take that away, and he has 68 yards for the rest of the game. His TD was right in the middle of the field on the safety on the 3rd play of the game. CB don't play the middle of the field unless they are in man cov, that was stack formation. Here's a fact, when OSU needed Washington the most in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarter - where was he and who was covering him? When ISU needed Lazard in the 2nd half to separate from TCU, where was he. In fact, he didn't score a TD in that game. Good numbers, but ISU didn't score a point in the 2nd half. Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and nearly all Big 12 teams didn't even look his way. You don't get All Big 12 Coaches because people like you, you get it because people who game plan against you respect what you bring to the game.

Chico Dusty

Moose, you are correct. JV left his last game around 172 and showed up at the combine 187. It kills me when we have guys who produce on a P5 level to the point where you make All American teams and All Conf teams because of your ability to rise and compete and then our own fan base doubts your ability to play on the next level. These guys don't eat good- always practice, run a lot - that's why you go to training after your last game of eligibility and train - you eat, you left weights. Let's see, he shutdown James Washington, Courtland Sutton, Bryon Pringle, Allen Lassaryd on an island - he was so good, you hardly heard his name mention and then we question his ability to play the next level. Same with Boesen - that guy did have a great game against Baylor, I agree, but he is big enough for the NFL and he was good enough to for next level Bowls and combines - he will train and get his weight up. Nothing is final on height and weight until you step on that scale at PRO Day or combine Ranthony Texada and Matt Boesen are good enough for an NFL combine. In fact all of the names I mention - Orr, Diarse - although I'm not sure Diarse production is there, Howard is small for a linebacker, but dang, was he not good enough to get 1 of 3 Bowl invites. Our fan base need to rally behind these kids who came to TCU and excelled - and stop doubting every little thing. So Kenny Hill and two O-line are the only worthy candidates of Bowl invitations - I think the defense played P5 comp and was elite.

All I said is that JV has a different build than Tex that I believe lends itself better to the next level. The reality of the situation is that a lot of elite college players don’t make it to the next level. The Frogs every year that are discussed here that don’t make it.

LexiMax

Since we want to make this about Texada, I'll defend him. But my original point was for all these defensive guys. Those West Virginia TD's were not on Texada. Did you see something I didn't see. He broke up the final pass to end the game - got a big sack to give our defense momentum. Washington had one big play in the game, an 85 yard TD so take that away, and he has 68 yards for the rest of the game. His TD was right in the middle of the field on the safety on the 3rd play of the game. CB don't play the middle of the field unless they are in man cov, that was stack formation. Here's a fact, when OSU needed Washington the most in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarter - where was he and who was covering him? When ISU needed Lazard in the 2nd half to separate from TCU, where was he. In fact, he didn't score a TD in that game. Good numbers, but ISU didn't score a point in the 2nd half. Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and nearly all Big 12 teams didn't even look his way. You don't get All Big 12 Coaches because people like you, you get it because people who game plan against you respect what you bring to the game.
“All” teams are political and beauty contests. If we go by your logic why have a draft? Listen, I like the kid but he isn’t a NFL player. Decent college player.

Chico Dusty

Moose, you are correct. JV left his last game around 172 and showed up at the combine 187. It kills me when we have guys who produce on a P5 level to the point where you make All American teams and All Conf teams because of your ability to rise and compete and then our own fan base doubts your ability to play on the next level. These guys don't eat good- always practice, run a lot - that's why you go to training after your last game of eligibility and train - you eat, you left weights. Let's see, he shutdown James Washington, Courtland Sutton, Bryon Pringle, Allen Lassaryd on an island - he was so good, you hardly heard his name mention and then we question his ability to play the next level. Same with Boesen - that guy did have a great game against Baylor, I agree, but he is big enough for the NFL and he was good enough to for next level Bowls and combines - he will train and get his weight up. Nothing is final on height and weight until you step on that scale at PRO Day or combine Ranthony Texada and Matt Boesen are good enough for an NFL combine. In fact all of the names I mention - Orr, Diarse - although I'm not sure Diarse production is there, Howard is small for a linebacker, but dang, was he not good enough to get 1 of 3 Bowl invites. Our fan base need to rally behind these kids who came to TCU and excelled - and stop doubting every little thing. So Kenny Hill and two O-line are the only worthy candidates of Bowl invitations - I think the defense played P5 comp and was elite.

And you really think Tex can put on 25 lbs of muscle by next season? No way...

Wexahu

Big V and Collins didn’t make any All teams and are now in the NFL. My point exactly.

And Paul Dawson was a 1st team AA and a 3rd round draft pick and has basically been a bust in the NFL. Were the draft held again today I doubt he gets picked. It works both ways.

If you’re good enough to play, they’ll find you and you’ll make it. If not, you won’t. The NFL couldn’t care less if a kid comes from Alabama or Northwest Alabama Tech. But if you don’t fall somewhere near the NFL prototype in size/speed/athleticism, it’s very, very hard to make it.

LexiMax

Maybe it is Patterson’s scheme. Gets most out of his players. I think there are as many offensive TCU players in the NFL as defense.

Sockem

And you really think Tex can put on 25 lbs of muscle by next season? No way...

All Texada has to do is go to the combine and run a 4.3. He will be measured on speed, not his size. There is always room in the game for speed. And he is very capable of running a 4.3. The NFL want guys who can cover and he won that battle in college.

Sockem

And Paul Dawson was a 1st team AA and a 3rd round draft pick and has basically been a bust in the NFL. Were the draft held again today I doubt he gets picked. It works both ways.

If you’re good enough to play, they’ll find you and you’ll make it. If not, you won’t. The NFL couldn’t care less if a kid comes from Alabama or Northwest Alabama Tech. But if you don’t fall somewhere near the NFL prototype in size/speed/athleticism, it’s very, very hard to make it.

We finally agree. But the problem with Dawson at least I heard was attitude and discipline. I don't think it was his measurables or ability to play the game.

LexiMax

All Texada has to do is go to the combine and run a 4.3. He will be measured on speed, not his size. There is always room in the game for speed. And he is very capable of running a 4.3. The NFL want guys who can cover and he won that battle in college.
You need to be invited. He wasn’t.