• The KillerFrogs

ESPN Hemorrhaging

FBallFan123

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/11/29/espn-employee-layoffs-john-skipper

ESPN Lays Off Over 100 Staffers in Latest Round of Employee Cuts

Richard Deitsch said:
ESPN began the process Wednesday morning of laying off more than 100 staffers. The layoffs will hit positions across the company including producers, executives and digital and technology staffers.

John Skipper said:
The majority of the jobs eliminated are in studio production, digital content, and technology and they generally reflect decisions to do less in certain instances and re-direct resources.

Richard Deitsch said:
Earlier in the month sources within ESPN said they expected some front-facing television talent to be part of this round of layoffs—including on the SportsCenterside. But ESPN management is now likely not to re-sign anchors with contracts coming up in the next 12 months as part of cost savings. What is likely to happen is some SportsCenter shows will be cut from airing on ESPNews, according to multiple ESPN staffers.

Some writers and editors, an ESPN source said, were expected to be part of today's layoffs.

W

Way of the Frog

John Skipper's inspiration:

7-things-you-might-not-have-known-about-scrooged-7.jpg

FBallFan123

https://www.espnfrontrow.com/2017/11/evolving-sportscenter/

Evolving SportsCenter

-Two weeks ago, we debuted SportsCenter on Snapchat, with daily editions of the show running between three and five minutes and hosted by a dynamic roster of ESPN talent.

-We have also launched SportsCenter Right Now on both linear and digital platforms as a way to provide up-to-the-minute news updates within First Take and on the ESPN App.

-With these initiatives we will shift existing resources and the current editions of SportsCenter airing on ESPNEWS between 7-11 p.m. will end on November 30.

Chico Dusty

Actually, the Snapchat play is quite smart and so far successful.

Have you seen it? It’s awful. And they can’t even show NFL highlights, as they don’t have the rights. So it was a guy talking about the highlights of a NFL game without showing any clips. It’s 2 weeks in, so I guess we’ll see - but I don’t see it moving the needle much. How are you categorizing it successful? I haven’t seen any numbers released.

Sebastian S

They keep chugging along...

Formula 1, a sport that is held mostly around the globe with start times in the wee hours of the morning.

How was that a smart move?

cheese83

Have you seen it? It’s awful. And they can’t even show NFL highlights, as they don’t have the rights. So it was a guy talking about the highlights of a NFL game without showing any clips. It’s 2 weeks in, so I guess we’ll see - but I don’t see it moving the needle much. How are you categorizing it successful? I haven’t seen any numbers released.
Plus you can just watch the highlights you want on the app. No need to sit through shows anymore.

FBallFan123

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/dec...es.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

December cable coverage estimates suggest ESPN and FS1 have lost almost a million homes this year
Awful Announcing said:
ESPN dropped an estimated 100,000 subscribers from November to December, 274,000 from August to December, and 916,000 since February. FS1 has lost an estimated 775,000 since February.

Awful Announcing said:
As for FS1, their November to December trend (-199,000 subscribers) is worrying, but they’re still up by 93,000 versus August. They’re down big on the year, though, thanks to a loss of 565,000 subscribers from February to March. FS1 had an estimated 85,269,000 subscribers in February, so they’re down 775,000 since then. That’s not quite as much as ESPN, but it’s not far behind, and it’s notable that there’s still a significant gap (2,429,000) between the total subscribers for ESPN and FS1, and that gap hasn’t narrowed much from the 2,590,000 it stood at in February.

August-December-Nielsen-estimates.png