• The KillerFrogs

ESPN Hemorrhaging

ESPN's subscriber losses appear to be slowing down

bi-graphics11132017sportscod.png

http://www.businessinsider.com/espn-losing-subscribers-not-viewers-2017-11

W

Way of the Frog

Yeah, but it’s twice the price. Plus it has ESPN. I don’t want ESPN.

What kind of functional things?

Limitations on how many televisions can watch the same family of channels and Sling doesn't give you local channels while Vue does give you the local channels.

Frog-in-law1995

Limitations on how many televisions can watch the same family of channels and Sling doesn't give you local channels while Vue does give you the local channels.

Honestly, I don’t think any of that will bother me. I already have a good 30-mile HD antenna and we’ll never have more than 2 TVs on at any time, so the limitations shouldn’t affect us. Does Vue have local channel programming on the on-screen guide? That might be an issue.

W

Way of the Frog

Honestly, I don’t think any of that will bother me. I already have a good 30-mile HD antenna and we’ll never have more than 2 TVs on at any time, so the limitations shouldn’t affect us. Does Vue have local channel programming on the on-screen guide? That might be an issue.

Yes they do and I didn't like how you "recorded" shows on Sling. Remember that with both you have a trial period so dump cable/satellite and you realistically can try each without any cost.

FBallFan123

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-s...loyd-mike-greenberg/ssug7uo3f6gi1co2iabhcqxe0

ESPN layoffs will slash $80 million in salaries and other costs, sources say

Sporting News said:
ESPN lost a whopping $1 billion in affiliate revenue after dropping 13 million subscribers in just six years, according to the SportsBusiness Journal. Sports insiders agree ESPN overpaid for the NFL's "Monday Night Football" ($1.9 billion annually) and the NBA ($1.4 billion a year). During 2016, ESPN's prime-time viewership fell 19 percent, according to the SBJ. Rather than driving Disney's profits, ESPN has been dragging them down, spooking Wall Street analysts.

Sporting News said:
"ESPN is dealing with three simple math problems. They have fewer subscribers than they planned for. They have higher costs than they planned for. They lower ratings than they hoped for," said one source.

Sporting News said:
The current "SportsCenter Coast to Coast" with Cari Champion and David Lloyd is expected to go away this spring, according to The Big Lead. It will replaced by a new show fronted by Bomani Jones and Pablo Torre. Champion is expected to succeed Michelle Beadle on the Los Angeles-based "SportsNation," according to TBL's Ryan Glasspiegel, as Beadle moves east to join Mike Greenberg's New York City-based morning show.

Sporting News said:
Still, the word inside ESPN is that nobody's happy about "The Six," including the two stars. Some sources speculate that Hill may leave on her own to talk politics on a news channel such as MSNBC or CNN. There's a culture war raging and Hill has admitted that it's hard to stick to sports when there are vital national issues at stake.

Last edited:

FBallFan123

Richard Deitsch: said:
1. ESPN management is requiring all of its editorial talent, from people who appear on-air to those who write for the company’s many outlets, to attend a two-hour presentation at the company’s Bristol headquarters on Dec. 13.

The topics at the presentation will include the company’s current priorities, the recent changes to the social media policy, how political and social issues should be handled by editorial staffers and upcoming initiatives. Clearly, the timing is intentional with layoffs coming to ESPN this week as well as an endless cycle of negative news. The company told staffers that all employees are required to attend the presentation in-person (not an insignificant expense given ESPN has people based all over the country) and if talent cannot attend the meeting due to a work conflict, they must work with their supervisor to confirm the legitimacy of the excuse. Said one ESPN staffer: “I imagine it will be like Dorothy walking outside after the twister to see what’s still standing.”

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/11/26/female-sports-reporters-sexual-harassment-media-circus

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
ESPN is officially in a death spiral. Cutting that much in lower level salaries will lead to significantly reduced program presentation. Rights fees are bloated and fixed for a while. Let's do a quick analysis of the ROI they got on the Longhorn Network. That deal makes bringing out New Coca Cola to replace Coca Cola look like genius!

W

Way of the Frog

ESPN is officially in a death spiral. Cutting that much in lower level salaries will lead to significantly reduced program presentation. Rights fees are bloated and fixed for a while. Let's do a quick analysis of the ROI they got on the Longhorn Network. That deal makes bringing out New Coca Cola to replace Coca Cola look like genius!

The LHN in my opinion was a trial balloon by ESPN to see if there was a big enough market to have a channel based on content targeted solely at one fan base.

They found the perfect lab rat in UT who had the desired large fan base that was matched by an even bigger ego and greater greed.

For all the bad things that can be said about the LHN I truly don't believe the Frogs would be in the Big 12 if a conference network had been developed instead of the LHN.