• The KillerFrogs

ESPN Hemorrhaging

StigFrog

Let's say things get so bad for ESPN they file bankruptcy. Would that be a way to get rid of the Longhorn Network? No one is happy with it except UT and those of us that watch it for Texas Little League in the summer.

BABYFACE

StigFrog said:
Let's say things get so bad for ESPN they file bankruptcy. Would that be a way to get rid of the Longhorn Network? No one is happy with it except UT and those of us that watch it for Texas Little League in the summer.
Funny thing, LHN is good for TCU and the Big 12.

Wexahu

BABYFACE said:
Funny thing, LHN is good for TCU and the Big 12.

Yep.  I don't know why we'd want to get rid of the LHN, it keeps Texas tied to the Big 12, and I don't see how it hurts TCU.  Take the LHN away from them and I imagine the first thing they'd do is call the Big 10.

The Big 12 needs to stay exactly how it is right now, with LHN in place, and just ride out the next few years until the TV situation sorts itself out.  We MAY be the model everyone is chasing in 5 years.  i.e., smaller conferences, more geographically aligned, more natural rivalries, etc.  Plus, when the inevitable 8-team playoff starts, all the talk about being left out of the CFP because the conference structure will go away.

Casey T

Vue is awesome. Can also be used on a playstation, as it's technically called playstation vue and not sony vue. The cheapest package is only $30/month in most places, which has something like 50 channels and includes espn & espn2, fs1, and lots of other channels like tnt, a&e, etc. You can add on hbo and showtime for 10 or 15/month each. You can also get redzone for like 100 for the season or something like that.

It also has what's supposed to be an awesome cloud-based dvr that sling does not offer. I highly recommend it.

punter9

can the BIG12 please get it together and be the first conference to align with netflix/amazon/sling/etc and sell the Big 12 addon package with their services?  It lowers the cost of entry to get access to the games by 80% and aligns with the major trend in the market.  Sure they can't give you 25mil a team but hell neither can espn when our contract runs out with fs.  

Also, you could stream each and every game letting users pick which they want to watch instead of the archaic forced content and time model.  

cheese83

punter9 said:
can the BIG12 please get it together and be the first conference to align with netflix/amazon/sling/etc and sell the Big 12 addon package with their services?  It lowers the cost of entry to get access to the games by 80% and aligns with the major trend in the market.  Sure they can't give you 25mil a team but hell neither can espn when our contract runs out with fs.  

Also, you could stream each and every game letting users pick which they want to watch instead of the archaic forced content and time model.  

Don't think they can, aren't their TV rights technically owned already?

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
It confirms B12 decision to stay at 10 and drain ABCs wallet. Ultimately Texas has the brand, the money and their own conference. It will be a whole new world by 2025. Playing on the West Coast and sending womens basketball to Pullman Washington regularly seems so 2014.

SAT Frog

PhormerPhrog said:
Yeah, the top package comes with both for 75/mo. There's about 115 channels. I get all the sports I need. The HBO and Showtime only only have 2 channels but you can use the apps through your streaming stick. There's minimal rewind so that takes a bit to get used to but I have hopes that will eventually be remedied. It's not as good as far as the capabilities of Direct TV but it's worth saving $50/month.

Plus, whatever streaming device you use will have tons of crap for kids, music, on demand, etc. I have a Roku and there's a DVR app but I haven't figured it out yet. I figure I'll try a firestick or Apple TV on one of the other tvs in the house. I only know Roku but it's easy to switch between Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and Vue.

I've heard Sling has more functionality but it doesn't have near the channel lineup.

Fwiw, there's no lifetime or Hallmark on Vue. Wife is kinda mad about that but too bad, so sad.
Do you still get your local channels?

SAT Frog said:
Do you still get your local channels?

All but your ABC affiliate.  I think you're in OKC, right?  It may be different up there but in DFW, I get the local Fox, NBC, CBS, CW and Telemundo affiliate.  ABC is said to be in the works.  There's an on-demand channel that has everything, including local stuff, but it's not live.  I just use an HD antenna if I want to watch 8.

nwlafrog

Casey8Ball said:
Vue is awesome. Can also be used on a playstation, as it's technically called playstation vue and not sony vue. The cheapest package is only $30/month in most places, which has something like 50 channels and includes espn & espn2, fs1, and lots of other channels like tnt, a&e, etc. You can add on hbo and showtime for 10 or 15/month each. You can also get redzone for like 100 for the season or something like that.

It also has what's supposed to be an awesome cloud-based dvr that sling does not offer. I highly recommend it.
cdsfrog said:

Just need an eligible streaming device. All Rokus work with vue
PhormerPhrog said:

All but your ABC affiliate.  I think you're in OKC, right?  It may be different up there but in DFW, I get the local Fox, NBC, CBS, CW and Telemundo affiliate.  ABC is said to be in the works.  There's an on-demand channel that has everything, including local stuff, but it's not live.  I just use an HD antenna if I want to watch 8.
I've started to perk up and become interested in this as well after reading the posts about VUE. All that I really care about is the Fox Sports channels (FS1, FSSW), ESPN (1,2), and the local channels. Any idea how much that package would cost? Are there installation charges or is it a DIY setup? Does an X BOX One count as a streaming device? If not, which Roku would you recommend?

SAT Frog

PhormerPhrog said:

Not OKC, SAT - San Antonio. Do you know where I can look for the local channel listing? I just say where Vue is losing the Viacom channels as on 11/11. Not sure how much this changes things. I have Directv and since ATT bought them it has gone down the drain service wise and skyrocketed on cost. Just do not want to give up all my recorded games on the DVR.

Will it work through a Samsung Smart TV? Apple TV? Google Chrome?

Tcupurplefaith

If you're getting VUE I'd suggest picking up the amazon Fire TV (not the stick) much better viewing experience. I'm using VUE and it's great. Although today they announced that they are removing the Viacom network channels (MTV, vh1, Nick, comedy central) apparently its because Viacom wanted more money for their service

Tcupurplefaith

nwlafrog said:
I've started to perk up and become interested in this as well after reading the posts about VUE. All that I really care about is the Fox Sports channels (FS1, FSSW), ESPN (1,2), and the local channels. Any idea how much that package would cost? Are there installation charges or is it a DIY setup? Does an X BOX One count as a streaming device? If not, which Roku would you recommend?
I think you're looking at $54 a month.
It's just an app on one of the streaming devices.
Doubt Playstation Vue is available on xbox
I'd recommend the Fire TV but the roku would work, I'd suggest not getting the stick version though (performance)
It also works in a web browser

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/

Klaw

TAINTed frog said:
Pardon my ignorance, but do you have to have a PlayStation to use/buy Vue?
No, you dont have to have Playstation. 

You can use fire tv, roku, android devices and iphone/ ipad.

The fire tv and android are the best platforms because it has a full guide and graphics. Roku app is bare bones.

Cheapest package in DFW is $39 and include nbc, cbs and fox. No live abc