• The KillerFrogs

ESPN Hemorrhaging

Frog-in-law1995

Sad for all those former ESPN folks tweeting about losing their jobs today. Even sadder for those doing so with unverified accounts who think people know who they are.

ShreveFrog

I just disagree 100%

He's the best thing on ESPN. Smart, genuine, funny, and has great opinions.

Except when it comes to TCU or Baylor in 2014. After I very respectfully went back and forth with him, he sent a mean tweet in the middle of the night and his nerdy Baylor followers joined in. Really weird.

Haven't watched Sportscenter in years, and sure don't now with him having taken it over in weird sort of talk show looking format. Only watch live sports events on ESPN and catch whatever highlights/insight at halftime, midgame or postgame. Except for Gameday Final. Will watch that.

I do feel bad for everybody who's been let go this year there, especially insiders like Werder and Stark. The giant has fallen.

nwlafrog

It's being reported that ESPN has lost 3,244,897 twitter followers due to the layoffs. I feel especially terrible for Ed Werder who announced on Twitter that his dog was dying just 45 minutes before being let go by ESPN. That's cold as ice.....

ESPN makes $7.21 per cable box compared to CNN's $0.71. Pretty darnin' ridiculous, right? When you have 11 million viewers cut the cord this is what happens.

Taco10

Except when it comes to TCU or Baylor in 2014. After I very respectfully went back and forth with him, he sent a mean tweet in the middle of the night and his nerdy Baylor followers joined in. Really weird.

Haven't watched Sportscenter in years, and sure don't now with him having taken it over in weird sort of talk show looking format. Only watch live sports events on ESPN and catch whatever highlights/insight at halftime, midgame or postgame. Except for Gameday Final. Will watch that.

I do feel bad for everybody who's been let go this year there, especially insiders like Werder and Stark. The giant has fallen.
Ha. SVP went back and forth with me on Twitter during commercial breaks whn he was hosting the old sportscenter. It was really weird.

talor

Yeah, but getting laid off is an emotional experience and I was impressed with how everyone was able to contain that.
I think part of it is that the rumblings about this have been ongoing for some time, so while each individual may not have known their card would get pulled, it isn't like these announcements blindsided everyone.

And I'm with you SVP is the man, even if he did engage in some twitter war with Shreve Frog. Perhaps we should have just avoided the worst/most painful collapse in college football history, and then it would have been a non issue.

cdsfrog

Twitter is like a job interview. Classy comments helps them find new jobs and ESPN really does help fired people find work. They have a lot of terrible problems but supposedly before they fire you it's a great place to work hah

FBallFan123

It's being reported that ESPN has lost 3,244,897 twitter followers due to the layoffs. I feel especially terrible for Ed Werder who announced on Twitter that his dog was dying just 45 minutes before being let go by ESPN. That's cold as ice.....

ESPN makes $7.21 per cable box compared to CNN's $0.71. Pretty darnin' ridiculous, right? When you have 11 million viewers cut the cord this is what happens.

Almost everyone agrees ESPN continues to get worse....fewer sports, fewer quality reporters...more annoying "personalities".

Since it's getting worse, customers shouldn't be charged as much for it.

So when are cable companies going negotiate to lower that $7+ fee they're sticking customers with?

Frog DJ

Sadly, this goes way beyond simple budget cuts in the wake of reduced subscriptions.

There is an almost universal mindset in large media companies these days that rules nearly all personnel decisions.

This attitude dictates that the current price of that entity's stock is much more important the quality of the product.

Certainly, it's short sighted and devestating to the laid off employees, but the bean counters could care less.

They will do whatever is necessary to make the stock look good right now, and save their own jobs.

They operate one quarter at a time, and adopt the policy, "We'll worry about the next quarter when the time comes."

It's survival of the fittest at its worst, and not a question of "if," but "when." Just the current state of affairs in big communications.

Broadcasting is no longer run by broadcasters...

Go Frogs!