• The KillerFrogs

ESPN?? "Great win for the Dallas Area"

Deep Purple

Living in Ft Worth the best years of my life by far. Just cracks me up how sensitive Ft. Worth folks get sometimes.

What's really annoying about this is that the distance between Fort Worth and Dallas is roughly equal to the distance between Baltimore and Washington DC. Yet when something happens in Baltimore, the media never reports that it happened in Washington.

Is it any wonder that the news media is the least trusted institution in America except for Big Business and Congress?

Big Frog II

We are the 16th largest city in the United States. We are not Dallas, and people do not need to say we are 30 miles from Dallas. If a person does not know the difference, then they should not be doing national broadcasts.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

purplePPO

I cannot understand why people use or type the F word just because they think they can. It reminds me of some Hollywood movies. The F word is spoken out almost every other word. It becomes less of a shock when the intent is to shock or get the audience attention. It's the immaturity of some people unable to communicate without cursing. If your offended by my post then consider yourself guilty. Go Frogs!

tcumaniac

I cannot understand why people use or type the F word just because they think they can. It reminds me of some Hollywood movies. The F word is spoken out almost every other word. It becomes less of a shock when the intent is to shock or get the audience attention. It's the immaturity of some people unable to communicate without cursing. If your offended by my post then consider yourself guilty. Go Frogs!

I'm darning offended by your improper spelling of you're.

Froginbedford

Well, they've done it before and they'll do it again, but doncha want to vomit when they do it? The ESPN "expert" commentator after the game wisely observed, "Great win for the Dallas area". Then he went on to say that TCU did it without their "best" player, Jaylen Fisher. Can't help but wonder if these are the best commentators ESPN can come up with for the NIT.

But when called out by another panelist, the first one said, "Well, is Metroplex OK?" Refused to correct himself....

Purp

Living in Ft Worth the best years of my life by far. Just cracks me up how sensitive Ft. Worth folks get sometimes.
I think the cultural distinction between the two cities is much greater than the distance would indicate. IMO, the "sensitivity" to this routine oversight is less about [John Holmes] measuring and more about that cultural aspect. I don't live in Fort Worth proper, but i also don't want to be associated with Dallas b/c that place sucks. I know b/c I work in Dallas.

I'll grant you that most of these broadcast simpletons who refer to Fort Worth as Dallas have no idea that there is even a minor cultural difference between the two cities and, if they did, most wouldn't care less about it b/c they don't live close enough for it to mean anything to them. In that sense, you really can't fault their ignorance, but their carelessness is symptomatic of other types of laziness in journalism about which we all complain.

But that doesn't make the cultural difference meaningless. Ask nwla about the difference between Shreveport and Bossier City. They're even closer than Fort Worth and Dallas, but the distinction is important. San Francisco and Oakland aren't amalgamated into one, though a physical geographic barrier may have something to do with that. Maybe froginmn can shed some light on how folks in Minneapolis and St. Paul deal with this.

I just don't see why you'd be surprised by the "sensitivity" since you've lived in both places and understand the clear contrast between them.

FrogCop19

I did say enjoy it but would kindly ask that we refrain from using them.

Remember that we do have mothers, grandmothers, daughters and sisters reading this board. That includes the relatives of recruits or potential TCU students.

This is a very polite way of saying:

"I'm just trying to prove a point, you don't have to celebrate it, Frank."