• The KillerFrogs

Easy fix to the CFP committee

HeidelFrog

It's really, really, really funny that you, or anyone else, are on here complaining that Ohio State didn't get picked for the playoffs, and using that as a way to complain about the committee. That's almost unbelievable.

Clemson
Georgia
Oklahoma
Ohio State

It would've been interesting because OU would have had to climb a pretty good ways because after the Iowa State loss, and without the Ohio State win, they'd have been ranked pretty low. I think the two blowout wins over us would've been enough to get them in though in the end.
It’s all just to prove the system is bias and needs fixed.

Take away Ohio State’s game against Oklahoma and they have a better resume then Clemson.

Clemson losing to 4-8 Syracuse is worse then Ohio State losing to 7-5 Iowa (4 losses to top 25 teams).

Ohio State beat two top 10 teams vs Clemson beating 1, Ohio State beat three top 20 teams vs Clemson beating two.

Wexahu

It’s all just to prove the system is bias and needs fixed.

Take away Ohio State’s game against Oklahoma and they have a better resume then Clemson.

Clemson losing to 4-8 Syracuse is worse then Ohio State losing to 7-5 Iowa (4 losses to top 25 teams).

Ohio State beat two top 10 teams vs Clemson beating 1, Ohio State beat three top 20 teams vs Clemson beating two.

Clemson losing at Syracuse by 3 with their backup QB is not worse than Ohio State losing by 31 to Iowa.

And what the heck? Why are we "taking away" Ohio State's game against OU? Why can't we take away Clemson's game at Syracuse? Then Clemson is undefeated!

HeidelFrog

Clemson losing at Syracuse by 3 with their backup QB is not worse than Ohio State losing by 31 to Iowa.

And what the heck? Why are we "taking away" Ohio State's game against Clemson? Why can't we take away Clemson's game at Syracuse? Then Clemson is undefeated!
Iowa would spank Syracuse.

Clemson has the worst loss in the top 5. Clemson deserves to get in. They have 2 top 15 wins and a conference championship.

Ohio State should of got in. They have the 2nd worst loss in the top 5. They beat 2 top 15 teams and won their conference championship.

Bama has ZERO top 15 wins and they are not a conference champ. They did not deserve to get in.

They pick who they want, not who earned it.

Wexahu

Iowa would spank Syracuse.

Clemson has the worst loss in the top 5. Clemson deserves to get in. They have 2 top 15 wins and a conference championship.

Ohio State should of got in. They have the 2nd worst loss in the top 5. They beat 2 top 15 teams and won their conference championship.

Bama has ZERO top 15 wins and they are not a conference champ. They did not deserve to get in.

They pick who they want, not who earned it.

What part of Ohio are you from? Asking for Hoosierfrog.

SnoSki

Of course I want 8 teams.

But in the mean time, assuming they are genuine in their intentions (spoiler: they are not), why don't they just televise the deliberations?

That way we can see what their logic actually is. If they are truly the best minds in college football and objective, there shouldn't be anything to hide, right?

So televise and we can all at least see the process to screw TCU.

I’d tune in. That would be crazy.

I think Joel Klatt is wrong, but fair enough. So I guess you thought Ohio State should have been the #4 team? I can tell you with absolute certainty, had OSU made the playoffs again there is virtually nobody on here who would have been ok with it. Nobody. It would have been a total [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]show on here.

From I can tell, most everyone thinks the committee got the right teams so I don't understand why people are so beside themselves over the committee. I mean, if they get the right teams, isn't that what their job is all about? It is just like an automatic knee-jerk reaction to complain no matter what? They don't make the rules.
No, what I'm telling you is that this committee, by virtue of this 4-team system, is an absolute mess. It appears they did get the right teams this year, but even Inspector Clouseau solved the case every time. But remember, you are the one who relies upon confirmation bias to back-up the committee's picks, so the jury is still out until the playoffs are over.

In all seriousness, I think they'd be better off not explaining things from here on out and just doing a reveal show if they aren't going to be totally transparent with their process. They literally twist themselves in knots trying to explain what they've done.

Wexahu

No, what I'm telling you is that this committee, by virtue of this 4-team system, is an absolute mess. It appears they did get the right teams this year, but even Inspector Clouseau solved the case every time. But remember, you are the one who relies upon confirmation bias to back-up the committee's picks, so the jury is still out until the playoffs are over.

In all seriousness, I think they'd be better off not explaining things from here on out and just doing a reveal show if they aren't going to be totally transparent with their process. They literally twist themselves in knots trying to explain what they've done.

I agree with that last part. There are too many variables every week that indirectly impact team’s resumes. For example, a team like Iowa getting dominated by Wisconsin made that OSU loss look even that much worse than it looked prior. How much does that matter? Impossible to quantify, but it does matter. When you have 60+ games every week impacting everyone’s resume to some degree it’s just impossible to try and coherently explain everything in a 5-minute interview or however long Hocutt talks. So they shouldn’t even attempt to.

Wexahu

Wexahu is the first person I've ever put on ignore and I've been on this site for over 10yrs. Only posts I see of his are to defend the CFP. Gets tiresome seeing the same thing over and over. Sorry, Wex, no hard feelings.

You made that sound like I accomplished something, thanks for that. No big deal, I don’t take it personal. At least nobody is accusing me of being an OSU fan anymore.

Bob Sugar

Here is my honest belief (quasi-in line with the OP). The committee picks who they theink are the 4-8 best teams and the rest of the rankings are biased to fit that thought. Then the CFP spokesman gives a 2 minute interview to diacuss 24 hours of deliberations and a Lot gets lost in translation. I think that's the biggest cause of the discrepancies in what matters.

Long Time Lurker

Wexahu is the first person I've ever put on ignore and I've been on this site for over 10yrs. Only posts I see of his are to defend the CFP. Gets tiresome seeing the same thing over and over. Sorry, Wex, no hard feelings.
How do I ignore? Been here 5 years and Wex will be the first person I put on ignore.

Edit—never mind I clicked on his profile saw the ignore. Life is good.

froghair

I don't understand the fixation on "conference champions". Back in the day when every conference was 10 or less teams and everyone played one another it was different. Once conferences split and these stupid championship games started being played (which usually DON'T match up the two best teams in the conference and whose participants are usually benefactors of the stupid HTH tie-breaker in which the home field got a huge advantage), the value of a championship dropped significantly in my opinion. And if TCU goes 9-0 in conference play and loses the championship game to a team that finished 7-2, you're going to consider the 7-2 team the "champion"? [ What the heck? ], that makes no sense. Conference championships these days are borne from money grabbing and TV right fees and little else.

Are you Jim Delaney? Do you work for Jim Delaney? Are you Jim Delaney's brother? 'Cause every time a read one of your posts on this subject, I see Jim Delaney's head spouting these arguments as to why we need a Committee to choose the participants in the "Playoffs". Or as others have called it, the Invitational"
The real reason is the NCAA wants to maintain control. Why? $$. Which gives rise to unnecessary or possibly unintended manipulation.

Stupid championship games? Divisions are essentially mini conferences and the winners go to a 1 game playoff to determine the conf champion. Seems fair to me. You win your division, you qualify for the championship game. HTH tie braker is directly related to competition so whats the beef? You say they're stupid? I think that determining the winner on the field is the essence of football. Or do you want to vote on them too? This is football, not ice skating.

If TCU loses in the conf championship game to a 7-2 team, the 7-2 team is the champ by current rules so yep they qualify. Sometimes, you'll get a surprise underdog champion who's on a hot streak. Great! They played the best football on that given day.

The best 4 team concept is entirely subjective and is not a valid way of determining a champion. If american football ever becomes an Olympic sport, maybe they will change the game scoring to judges votes on who played the best game. As of right now, we use the score.

Last edited:
Are you Jim Delaney? Do you work for Jim Delaney? Are you Jim Delaney's brother? 'Cause every time a read one of your posts on this subject, I see Jim Delaney's head spouting these arguments as to why we need a Committee to choose the participants in the "Playoffs". Or as others have called it, the Invitational"
The real reason is the NCAA wants to maintain control. Why? $$. Which gives rise to unnecessary or possibly unintended manipulation.

Stupid championship games? Divisions are essentially mini conferences and the winners go to a 1 game playoff to determine the conf champion. Seems fair to me. You win your division, you qualify for the championship game. HTH tie braker is directly related to competition so whats the beef? You say they're stupid? I think that determining the winner on the field is the essence of football. Or do you want to vote on them too? This is football, not ice skating.

If TCU loses in the conf championship game to a 7-2 team, the 7-2 team is the champ by current rules so yep they qualify. Sometimes, you'll get a surprise underdog champion who's on a hot streak. Great! They played the best football on that given day.

The best 4 team concept is entirely subjective and is not a valid way of determining a champion. If american football ever becomes an Olympic sport, maybe they will change the game scoring to judges votes on who played the best game. As of right now, we use the score.
Thirteen 80s-era East German gymnastics judges couldn’t do any worse than this committee.

BleedNPurple

Here is my honest belief (quasi-in line with the OP). The committee picks who they theink are the 4-8 best teams and the rest of the rankings are biased to fit that thought. Then the CFP spokesman gives a 2 minute interview to diacuss 24 hours of deliberations and a Lot gets lost in translation. I think that's the biggest cause of the discrepancies in what matters.

The committee apparently has TCU on ignore and always have. There’s only one way we can get in - we have to go undefeated and win the conference - period!

Wexahu

You sound like Art Briles circa 2014 in that 2nd paragraph. I guess you were of the opinion that Baylor “won” the Big 12 because they decided it on the field, right? I think that was total BS. HTH tiebreakers are weak because they completely ignore the outcome of the game the winner of the HTH lost.

OmniscienceFrog

Completely agree. They could make it a lot easier on themselves if they did it like the basketball selection committee does it and just have one announcement show after the CCG's, but my goodness, we couldn't possibly do without the three other shows that mean absolutely nothing. It just gives them the opportunity to publicly change their tune a few times before they pick the final four.

Of course, in the end they're getting what they really want, a lot of TV viewers and discussion of their meaningless first three shows. That's really more important than getting it right.

BoydAveFrogFan

Completely agree. They could make it a lot easier on themselves if they did it like the basketball selection committee does it and just have one announcement show after the CCG's, but my goodness, we couldn't possibly do without the three other shows that mean absolutely nothing. It just gives them the opportunity to publicly change their tune a few times before they pick the final four.

Of course, in the end they're getting what they really want, a lot of TV viewers and discussion of their meaningless first three shows. That's really more important than getting it right.

This is 1st year I didnt watch the selection show. Actually felt good not paying attention to their BS

froghair

You sound like Art Briles circa 2014 in that 2nd paragraph. I guess you were of the opinion that Baylor “won” the Big 12 because they decided it on the field, right? I think that was total BS. HTH tiebreakers are weak because they completely ignore the outcome of the game the winner of the HTH lost.
Your guess is correct. By virtue of their win, Baylor was the better team on that given day but conference rules dictated that TCU & Baylor were co-champs. If the championship game had existed at that time, Baylor would have gone on to play TCU again. Result? ... problem solved.