• The KillerFrogs

Do you agree with Patterson on Ohio St

robbroyy

hes said this week that he didn’t want to play Ohio St twice. Because losing takes you out of playoff.

Very concerning look for recruiting. If Texas can schedule USC home and home and Oklahoma can go to Ohio St and win, why is he afraid of losing?

Shows there’s still 1% of his mentality for him that views us as a MWC program that can’t dominate year in year out.

Then he followed it up with saying we’re going to still play Purdue and Cal like they’re in same level.

I’m disappointed we won’t ever schedule real home and homes with iconic teams like Fla St, Alabama, USC, etc. would love for them to come to Amon Carter.

Wexahu

hes said this week that he didn’t want to play Ohio St twice. Because losing takes you out of playoff.

Very concerning look for recruiting. If Texas can schedule USC home and home and Oklahoma can go to Ohio St and win, why is he afraid of losing?

Shows there’s still 1% of his mentality for him that views us as a MWC program that can’t dominate year in year out.

Then he followed it up with saying we’re going to still play Purdue and Cal like they’re in same level.

I’m disappointed we won’t ever schedule real home and homes with iconic teams like Fla St, Alabama, USC, etc. would love for them to come to Amon Carter.

Only disappointed that he said it, I don’t disagree with the philosophy. File playing the big superpowers in the be careful what you wish for column because saying you can consistently beat those teams is a lot easier than actually doing it, and as long as beating a bad team by 3 is better for you than losing to a great team by 3, it just doesn’t make sense to play those games.

He’s wrong about one thing though....losing doesn’t take you out of a playoff. Losing twice probably takes you out.

ThisIsOurTime

GP has always been a coach that has tried to limit his risk. This makes sense considering his background as defensive minded coach. I think he would still have this opinion if he was the coach of Ohio State or another big state u. This is not a reflection of TCU but a reflection of him. He is not alone either, I believe Mack Brown had similar concerns about playing Ohio State when he was at UT and they moved away from such matchups after their home and home as a result.

With regard to scheduling, TCU is always going to be at a bit of a disadvantage in scheduling home and homes with traditional powers because our stadium size is smaller than other P5 teams. Even when we get one setup with like LSU, it later gets switched to a 1 game at a neutral site. They would probably be better served going with a 1:1:1 (home, away and neutral) games. We probably won't see the home and home situation change too much unless we see the school choose to expand to 20,000 students or so and thereby create the ability to fill say a 70,000+ seat stadium. And I don't see this being very likely any time soon either.

Last edited:

Froglaw

He said last night at the Dallas event that he wanted the home and home but you had to look at the OU home and home.

Different now that we're in the Big 12 because the injuries cost you during conference play.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
For most of my Frog fandom we were everyone’s homecoming game, so as long as we have to play SMU, a SWAC team and one P5, not an issue.

Limp Lizard

GP plays to win conference championships and for a chance at the playoffs. Not to build up bragging rights for fans. If tOSU had not played OU last year they would have lost one game and been in the playoffs. We play 9 conference games, not 8. Home and home will be difficult as mentioned tue to stadium size. I'll take what we have, thank you.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The term is 'Calculated Risk.' And yes, ESPN will lather the knob of their darling Ohio State no matter what, while knocking us for each and every possible thing that might promote their darling. Is this a "conspiracy"? No. ESPN simply plays favorites, and Ohio State is a Name Brand that, in their eyes, will guarantee a larger viewership than Joe Schmoe U. Hence, their preference for Name Brands.

As to GMFP's preference to playing such a game, I cannot imagine him being "afraid" of anyone. We have weapons, and a very, very good defense. Sadly, the focus of an entire season comes down to one game when you have an ESPN preferred Name Brand on the schedule.

Frog DJ

Not unexpectedly, I agree (again) with Brewing's analysis.

ESPN's financial struggles have been well-chonincled, so it's not a surprise they desire to see their name brands perform at the highest levels.

And recent history bears out the assertion that TCU must perform at an even higher level in order to measure up to the Ohio States of the world.

Go Frogs!

West Coast Johnny

I want to see how we do against the best and avoiding the best is just plain soft.

netty2424

Stadium size doesn't make any sense to me. When ND went to Austin, didn't ND get their standard 4K(or whatever the number is for OOC games) ticket allotment? Not like they got half the stadium seats. Think this premise is being used as an excuse, but really isn't truly a reason.

Isn't the TV contract where the money is coming from for the away team?

Big Frog II

If they will expand the playoffs to 8 teams giving the champs of the P5 conferences an automatic spot, then you can schedule better OCC without any repercussions from losing one of those games if you win your conference. Right now teams like us get penalized for losing a game.

Last edited: