• The KillerFrogs

DMN: TCU RB Sewo Olonilua squats 705 lbs twice in front of teammates

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

DMN: TCU RB Sewo Olonilua squats 705 lbs twice in front of teammates

By Dean Straka , Sports Digital Editor
Contact Dean Straka on Twitter: @dwstraka49

TCU running back Sewo Olonilua hasn't been shy about showing off his strength this offseason.

A video posted by TCU football Friday afternoon showed the senior tailback from Houston, Texas squatting 705 pounds not once but twice in the team weight room, sending teammates into a frenzy as he accomplished the feat.

Read more at https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...olonilua-squats-705-lbs-twice-front-teammates

Limp Lizard

Do not try this at home!

Seriously, you need skilled professional assistance once you try something like this. Or maybe skilled professionals of the psychology type?

Anyway that is really awesome. Sewo obviously works hard, he just needs some polishing to become a really good power back.

Volare

Given how the TCU athletic student body is one big injury waiting to happen, does this annual lift-fest seem like not such a great idea to anyone else?

(I assume this is part of the annual tradition where most of the team competes to see how much they can lift.)

Last edited:

Raw Frog

Given how the TCU athletic student body is one big injury waiting to happen, does this annual lift-fest seem like not such a great idea to anyone else?

(I assume this is part of the annual tradition where most of the team competes to see how much they can lift.)

I do catch myself holding my breath on stuff like this....

Salfrog

Tier 1
Seeing the weights being lifted is great, but at this point after having several players lost for the season due to injury over the past few years. I would rather there be more emphasis on not blowing out knees.

Chico Dusty

Seeing the weights being lifted is great, but at this point after having several players lost for the season due to injury over the past few years. I would rather there be more emphasis on not blowing out knees.

And what would that emphasis be? A lot of this stuff (ligaments injury) is just genetics and freak occurrences. Not much you can do, other than the level these guys are training to prevent that stuff.

Wexahu

Lifting an insane amount of weight seemed to do wonders for Jaelen Austin.

I get that guys need to get stronger but absolutely maxing out to where you can only do one or two reps of a weight seems unnecessary to playing football. But I’m not a trainer so maybe it is useful.

Surfrog

Lots of armchair S&C coaches in here.

Lifting heavy (92%+ 1RM) with low numbers increases neurological firing leading to increased strength without adding mass. Lifting heavy is the only way to do this. The team most likely uses the conjugate system to develop speed/power and explosiveness, this requires lifting heavy. Tendons/ligaments grow 3x slower than muscles do. They need a [ Finebaum ] ton of stimulation to grow. How do you do that? Lift heavy.

How do you strengthen ligaments and tendons? Lift heavy.
How do you get stronger without adding unwanted mass? Lift heavy.
Padding on the bar only puts the back at a mechanical disadvantage and increases lower back injury risk due to moment arm extension. Use your natural padding (traps/delts) to protect the bone.
Literally no chance of "blowing a knee out" by lifting heavy. What happens is you lift light, don't stress the tendons/ligaments enough, then try and cut full speed and screw yourself. Or worse, you use a machine (leg press) to go heavy and be "safe" where you don't activate the stabilizers, go to cut, then rip half your [ Finebaum ].

FYI Don Sommer interned under Louie Simmons who consults for multiple NFL teams including the Patriots and pioneered the conjugate system. Leave the S&C work to the experts.

Last edited:

Wexahu

Lot's of armchair S&C coaches in here.

Lifting heavy (92%+ 1RM) with low numbers increases neurological firing leading to increased strength without adding mass. Lifting heavy is the only way to do this. The team most likely uses the conjugate system to develop speed/power and explosiveness, this requires lifting heavy. Tendons/ligaments grow 3x slower than muscles do. They need a [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] ton of stimulation to grow. How do you do that? Lift heavy.

How do you strengthen ligaments and tendons? Lift heavy.
How do you get stronger without adding unwanted mass? Lift heavy.
Padding on the bar only puts the back at a mechanical disadvantage and increases lower back injury risk due to moment arm extension. Use your natural padding (traps/delts) to protect the bone.
Literally no chance of "blowing a knee out" by lifting heavy. What happens is you lift light, don't stress the tendons/ligaments enough, then try and cut full speed and screw yourself. Or worse, you use a machine (leg press) to go heavy and be "safe" where you don't activate the stabilizers, go to cut, then rip half your [ steaming pile of Orgeron ].

FYI Don Sommer interned under Louie Simmons who consults for multiple NFL teams including the Patriots and pioneered the conjugate system. Leave the S&C work to the experts.

Learn something every day, thanks for the info. Makes sense.