• The KillerFrogs

DMN: TCU quotable: Shawn Robinson 'doesn't have to be Superman'

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: TCU quotable: Shawn Robinson 'doesn't have to be Superman'

By Reece Kelley Graham, Staff Writer
Contact Reece Kelley Grahamon Twitter:mad:ReeceKelleyG

TCU moved to 9-2 with a 27-3 win over Texas Tech on Saturday. Here's some things you might have missed postgame:

TCU head coach Gary Patterson
On the play of freshman QB Shawn Robinson...

"He's got to understand, the best pass, catchable pass, is the ones they can catch. Doesn't matter how pretty they look and he'll learn all that. Kenny throws the deep ball really well, he really threw it all week really well. The short game's a little bit different. You got to hold onto the football. Because that's what they were trying to do, they were trying to get the ball away, and so for us -- but it's hard to go on the road and win, even when you have a senior quarterback, let alone a guy that it's the first time he's started, so here we go.

Read more at https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...17/11/19/tcu-quotable-shawn-robinson-superman

Pharm Frog

His comments about not wanting to hurt Shawn’s confidence should explain the decision making to not press his luck at the end of the first half.

I don't think it had anything to do with SR but maybe it did. All I wanted was to give KT a chance and taking the timeout might have caused some pressure on the Tech punter and perhaps we get the benefit of a shank or something. I see absolutely no downside in calling a timeout, forcing them to punt, and then deciding whether to kneel it out, go for a play or two to get into FG position, or to go for two or one once KT took it to the house. If I recall correctly, Tech had no timeouts or only one left. The only person to trust or not in that situation was KT.

Moose Stuff

I don't think it had anything to do with SR but maybe it did. All I wanted was to give KT a chance and taking the timeout might have caused some pressure on the Tech punter and perhaps we get the benefit of a shank or something. I see absolutely no downside in calling a timeout, forcing them to punt, and then deciding whether to kneel it out, go for a play or two to get into FG position, or to go for two or one once KT took it to the house. If I recall correctly, Tech had no timeouts or only one left. The only person to trust or not in that situation was KT.

I have a hard time believing Tech would have actually kicked it to him. Also worth noting that Tech did punt the ball and we had nobody back to return it.

Pharm Frog

I have a hard time believing Tech would have actually kicked it to him. Also worth noting that Tech did punt the ball and we had nobody back to return it.

I do too but stranger things have happened. I did think he was back there though but ran away from the punt. It's vintage Gary ball for sure. It's quite a dichotomy -- double reverse pitch to start the game and full on conservatism at other times. I just don't understand why you don't deploy one of your best weapons when given the chance. If the other team wants to take that weapon away - fine. Don't do it for them.

sdfrog

I wish Fort Worth had a local paper that covered the team like this. We used to have a paper that gave fans more information (instead of useless opinions). Facts ma'am, just the facts please.

finafrog

Been waiting 17 years to see GP press his luck at the end of a half...I'll be waiting 17 more
it bit us in the butt vs baylor in 2014 (fumbled snap punting vs going for it at the end of the half). and last week vs ou (we punted, they scored anyway). but the punt from tech 29th was the epitome of coach P's philosophy.

PO Frog

it bit us in the butt vs baylor in 2014 (fumbled snap punting vs going for it at the end of the half). and last week vs ou (we punted, they scored anyway). but the punt from tech 29th was the epitome of coach P's philosophy.
Still his worst coaching decision in all of his 17 years as a HC. Absolutely zero reason to punt the ball in that situation. Literally zero upside to the play. Even if they fumbled the punt we would not have had time for an offensive play for a FG. Every single mathematical outcome of the punt in that situation was a negative.

Worse than deciding to score the TD against Arkansas even. At least that was an unorthodox situation.

W

Way of the Frog

I wish Fort Worth had a local paper that covered the team like this. We used to have a paper that gave fans more information (instead of useless opinions). Facts ma'am, just the facts please.

You think this kid does a good job?