• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Patterson not happy after TCU's 20-point win over rival SMU: 'Should have been 80'

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: Patterson not happy after TCU's 20-point win over rival SMU: 'Should have been 80'

By Kevin Sherrington, Staff Columnist
Contact Kevin Sherrington on Twitter:mad:KSherringtonDMN

FORT WORTH -- If Gary Patterson were picked up for shoplifting, he'd be his own worst witness. No need to play good cop/bad cop with the TCU coach, no sir. Just let him vent. By the time he finished, he'd be up for the Lindbergh kidnapping and the Lufthansa heist.

Consider, for example, the 20th-ranked Horned Frogs' 56-36 win Saturday over SMU before 44,489 at Amon Carter Stadium.

Before anyone could ask Gary if he'd like a glass of water, he pretty much pooh-poohed the merits of a 20-point win over an old rival.

Read more at https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...rson-happy-tcus-20-point-win-rival-smu-80?f=r

flyfishingfrog

3 turnovers, 2 trick plays and 1 garbage time TD to stay within 20 shows that SMU still sucks and they knew they couldn't win before the game started

The bad thing about our scheduling is after 3 games we are about to start the B12 and have little idea if we are really good or if our opponents have just been really bad

Wexahu

3 turnovers, 2 trick plays and 1 garbage time TD to stay within 20 shows that SMU still sucks and they knew they couldn't win before the game started

The bad thing about our scheduling is after 3 games we are about to start the B12 and have little idea if we are really good or if our opponents have just been really bad

There's probably a whole lot of teams in the same boat. I think we have a chance to be real good but it's going to be tough losing less than 3 games with this schedule. I don't think our offense, as it's currently structured, is sustainable. We've GOT to get some things going downfield or defenses are going to start smothering the short stuff.

FrogLifeYo

We had a good rush that made Hicks throw before ready. Shut down Sutton.

Smu's defense was tbe pathetic one.

They scored over 30. Had north of 450 yards of offense and we didn't have a single sack. Our two turnovers your going to reference were late in the game when the game was out of reach..it was a poor defensive performance any way you shake it and we will have to be significantly better this coming week.

Limp Lizard

They scored over 30. Had north of 450 yards of offense and we didn't have a single sack. Our two turnovers your going to reference were late in the game when the game was out of reach..it was a poor defensive performance any way you shake it and we will have to be significantly better this coming week.
If we played every game the way we play SMU we would not have been to a bowl in years. Actually I feel pretty good.

Tom Brown

Late or early stats is stats. We didnt get a sack but had plenty of hurries, hicks just threw it away or inaccurately from pressure. D had to defend some short fields and we still held them below their average.

...and then Sutton.

Sorry your glass was half empty.

Limey Frog

I like it. We played a rapidly improving rival with far more motivation on the day, and at a time when our guys could be forgiven for not having the emotion they carried into Arkansas and will likely show in Stillwater. We none the less overcame a slow start to win by multiple scores. The performance was flawed but more than sufficient with numerous positives, such as pass rush, Mr. Snell's emergence, J. Anderson's continued dominance, Jalen Reagor's insane Hail Mary catch, etc. The performance was also bad enough to make GP angry and get the team to practice with fire all week--it helped reaffirm the underdog "something to prove" narrative without which GP is, by his own admission, uncomfortable and less productive.

OSU, meanwhile, looks amazing. but they haven't played a top team yet. They aren't unbeatable and will almost certainly lose at some point. If our guys are focused and pissed off enough, why not us?

Go Frogs!

W

Way of the Frog

Last year the defense was plagued by mental mistakes and then some physical things where we were just over matched. For example how KState and OkState just lined up and pounded away in the run game and Frogs couldn't do a damn thing about it.

Yesterday the three big plays SMU had offensively were not a matter of a physical mismatch as much as mental mistakes. Small bit on the first touchdown and was out of position on the last one. Biggest disappoint there is Niko is a junior who has played in a multiple games and starting for the second season. Not sure if it was concentration of just mistakes, but not what is needed for upperclassmen who are multiple year starters on defense.

Montrel Wilson did not pick up the receiver on the double pass and he has struggled in each of the three games this year early in the games. Montrel is new at the position, but that has to get resolved.

The one area that I would same merit some concern about the defense physically is defensive ends. Sacks are nice, but consistent pressure is more important than a couple of sacks. Lack of depth is going to be an issue in the first half next week.

flyfishingfrog

SMU doesn't suck (I'll allow that their defense does) and I'm certain they thought they were capable of beating us.
We stood a good chance of beating ourselves yesterday and tried hard to do it for a half...they were not talented, physical or good enough to beat us on their own and they showed they knew it early.

Only thing left was the Statue of Liberty and the swinging gate.

Moose Stuff

We stood a good chance of beating ourselves yesterday and tried hard to do it for a half...they were not talented, physical or good enough to beat us on their own and they showed they knew it early.

This isn't the same thing as knowing you have no chance to win.

It isn't saying much but that SMU team would beat KU and Baylor and I'd give them a fighting chance against a few other Big 12 teams in Dallas.

flyfishingfrog

This isn't the same thing as knowing you have no chance to win.

It isn't saying much but that SMU team would beat KU and Baylor and I'd give them a fighting chance against a few other Big 12 teams in Dallas.
I coached for 15 years after I finished at TCU before going back to school ..when we got out the "alternative" playbook in the first few possessions it was always to try and disrupt a team that we knew would blow us off the line straight up in a big way and hope that threw them off enough to capitalize on the form of a big lead before they recovered.

It rarely ever has worked and works even less the world of "speed" we see today in football where a two touchdown lead can disappear in less than a minute.

My experience stands by the belief that their coaching staff knew they were outmanned and the clock was their enemy. If they truly thought they had a small shot before the game started - I think they would have held the trick plays for when it close later like the end of the first half or even early 4Q to get a lead in a close game and try to hold on

They shot their wad too early and gave us too much time to recover and take back the game

Moose Stuff

I coached for 15 years after I finished at TCU before going back to school ..when we got out the "alternative" playbook in the first few possessions it was always to try and disrupt a team that we knew would blow us off the line straight up in a big way and hope that threw them off enough to capitalize on the form of a big lead before they recovered.

It rarely ever has worked and works even less the world of "speed" we see today in football where a two touchdown lead can disappear in less than a minute.

My experience stands by the belief that their coaching staff knew they were outmanned and the clock was their enemy. If they truly thought they had a small shot before the game started - I think they would have held the trick plays for when it close later like the end of the first half or even early 4Q to get a lead in a close game and try to hold on

They shot their wad too early and gave us too much time to recover and take back the game

I don't think there was one person in that stadium yesterday that didn't think SMU was outmanned.