• The KillerFrogs

Diehards: TCU among bottom tier of FBS programs in returning production for 2018

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Diehards: TCU among bottom tier of FBS programs in returning production for 2018

Matt Jennings
@MattAJennings

Advanced statistics project that TCU will probably take a step backward next season after finishing in the top 10 in 2017, thanks to some major personnel losses.

That’s the findings of a report Tuesday by SB Nation’s Bill Connelly, who ranked every FBS team heading into 2018 by their returning production from last season. The Horned Frogs return just 52 percent of their overall production from 2017, which ranks No. 114 out of 130 FBS teams according to Connelly. They bring back 61 percent of their defensive production, but only 44 percent of their production on offense.

According to Connelly, teams which fail to return more than half their production generally perform worse than the previous season:

Read more at https://www.diehards.com/tcu/tcu-football-2018-returning-production-starters

Limp Lizard

Beginning to see an irony here. Last year's team was downgraded preseason because we had Kenny Hill at QB. This year looks tough because Kenny Hill will not be at QB.

Outside of the OL, I think we are in great shape. If Robinson can play up to his potential and with Anderson and Sewo as our RB's, the offense can be a lot better. We lost Boesen, Texada and some secondary, but I still like the defense. We lose our #1 tackler, but replacing LB's has not been a problem to his point.

Can we quickly reload in the OL?

Wexahu

I just hate so much that our one chance at Ohio State is coming in a potential rebuilding year with a brand new QB and O line. Trading the Home and Home for a one and done at AT&T was a big mistake.

Well, our defense should be very solid and, according to ifrog, SR will have a much better supporting cast around him than KH did. So there's that.

Seriously, next year isn't a bad time to be catching OSU. They'll have a new QB and about 7-8 new starters on defense. They'll be loaded with talent but that's probably about as "down" as they'll be heading into a season as long as Meyer is there and they aren't on some kind of probation.

Bob

What a doofus. Here's the bio of this guy from Diehardons:

Bill Connelly grew up a fan of the Miami Dolphins (post-1970s glory), Pittsburgh Pirates (ditto), Portland Trailblazers (ditto again) and Missouri Tigers. He spends his evening playing with excel sheets and watching DVR'd football games from ESPN Classic.

Perhaps, with credos like that, I should become a sports writer and start a 900 service where half my calls get 1 team as a pick, and the other half get the other team.

Let's see, Bob grew up a fan of the Dallas Cowboys (back when they had a football team), the LA Dodgers (back when they had a minor league team in Ft. Worth, and the Harlem Globetrotters (before Meadowlark Lemon told me "get the scheiss out of my way white boy" when I approached him for an autograph at Daniel Meyer Coliseum.

Bob spends his evenings playing with himself, while watching Baywatch re-runs, and hoping the Cheeto stains will wash off.

Sign me up!

Austintxfrog94

What a doofus. Here's the bio of this guy from Diehardons:

Bill Connelly grew up a fan of the Miami Dolphins (post-1970s glory), Pittsburgh Pirates (ditto), Portland Trailblazers (ditto again) and Missouri Tigers. He spends his evening playing with excel sheets and watching DVR'd football games from ESPN Classic.
This explains it all right here. He's still bitter about that 1990 comeback win (20-19) TCU had at Missouri. That was a great day other than the plane almost exploding on takeoff coming home and I swore I broke my arse on that concrete turf that day.

Limp Lizard

This explains it all right here. He's still bitter about that 1990 comeback win (20-19) TCU had at Missouri. That was a great day other than the plane almost exploding on takeoff coming home and I swore I broke my arse on that concrete turf that day.
I always thought it was so sad that Leon Clay could not stay healthy in 90 and 91. At least one bowl opportunity missed there. What do you think?

BABYFACE

I heard Tech’s turf was brutally hard to until they went to the new stuff. Although, Tech was more known for that ridiculous crown on their field.

netty2424

How much you taking to Vegas to put on us?

Gotta admire the positive attitude, though. Sure hope the good vibes make it happen.

My guess we lose that one, but
GP does what he does and has a better year than most expect.
Tall task for sure. If we can get good line play and protect SR, he's going to put the country on notice.

GP will have to get 2 halves out of his defense. Something we struggled with this year.

Surfrog

Tall task for sure. If we can get good line play and protect SR, he's going to put the country on notice.

GP will have to get 2 halves out of his defense. Something we struggled with this year.

Playing defense is hard when the other team is getting 90+ snaps a game.

Austintxfrog94

I always thought it was so sad that Leon Clay could not stay healthy in 90 and 91. At least one bowl opportunity missed there. What do you think?
Agree related to 1990, or at least we might have had a shot at a winning record that year. Had some great performances out of Vogler in 1991 with a 7-4 record and didn't get us a bowl. Considering that team still was under scholarship reductions in 1991 that 7-4 season was pretty amazing (but I'm biased). I didn't blame Wacker for taking that season and moving on, TCU wasn't fully committed as an institution to football yet and needed their exile.

YA

Can you tell us more about the plane almost exploding?