• The KillerFrogs

Dale Hanson tonight on Ch 8 is doing his "unplugged" segment

mrnicefrog

I used to bartend. Its hard for bartenders to know if a person is driving are not. You ask people and they lie to you. Or you asked the friends of the person that is drunk to drive them home, they agree, but then don't do it.

pcf

haterade1.jpg

HFrog1999

I used to bartend. Its hard for bartenders to know if a person is driving are not. You ask people and they lie to you. Or you asked the friends of the person that is drunk to drive them home, they agree, but then don't do it.
Sure, but doesn't Texas law forbid someone from serving alcohol to someone who is obviously intoxicated, whether or not they are driving?

0.17 is pretty drunk. That would probably take about 12 beers or 1/2 of a bottle of liquor for a man Pachall's size. Now, some people are better at hiding intoxication than others, and he could've been home for all we know. But if he was at a bar, at that level he probably shouldn't have been served.

I've been out with friends who were obviously Black Out drunk and bars were still serving them. Luckily for my friends, I was driving and I stepped in to keep it from getting worse.

I think Drunk Driving education does people a disservice because they focus on encouraging people to not drink at all and drive. That's unrealistic.

However, it is more realistic that if you're driving, to drink responsibly. When I'm driving, 3 is my limit. Some people can limit what they drink, some can't. Those that can't shouldn't drink and drive at all. Those that can should know their limit and stay well below it.

swimmerbabe11

It is illegal for bartenders to over serve people and they can be held partially liable for damages or deaths caused by drunk drivers.

I am well aware of the law. I worked at a TCU bar all throughout college.

Doesn't mean that the attitude some people take towards bartenders isn't silly. People will take everything to an extreme.
IF Casey Pachall was truly an alcoholic, it would be hard to tell if his BAC was .17. Bartenders aren't mindreaders.

HFrog1999

Doesn't mean that the attitude some people take towards bartenders isn't silly. People will take everything to an extreme.
IF Casey Pachall was truly an alcoholic, it would be hard to tell if his BAC was .17. Bartenders aren't mindreaders.
Oh sure. Some alcoholics are very good at hiding how drunk they are. Of course, if Pachall was good at that he might have been smart enough to refuse to blow and appear sober enough for the officer to let him stumble home.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
I stand by everything I said regarding Hansen. My opinion of him is not based on his opinion of TCU.

Same here. He's become a caricature of himself and a pot-stirrer who's emblematic of today's TV news. Last night's soliloquy doesn't change that. Actually, the idea that he presented it as 'something folks in FW will be mad about' confirms it.

fanatical frog

I joined in on the hatefest and don't regret it even a little bit. Dale may have been good with sports at some point but that must have been years and years ago......I don't care to hear about "Morality Hansen Style" and just don't tune him in anymore.

maximilian

I'm pretty sure we've had conversations there when I was borderline blackout, yet most around us probably couldn't tell.

Froglaw

Steel used to drink heavily as a teen and young adult.

Hasn't touched the stuff in years though,

BwaHaaHaaHaa! Couldn't seriously pull that oneoff. My bad...

Thanks Steel. You just brightened my day.

As the old Cajun once said, "In Louisiana, we drinks mostly alone or with somebody."

mrnicefrog

Sure, but doesn't Texas law forbid someone from serving alcohol to someone who is obviously intoxicated, whether or not they are driving?

0.17 is pretty drunk. That would probably take about 12 beers or 1/2 of a bottle of liquor for a man Pachall's size. Now, some people are better at hiding intoxication than others, and he could've been home for all we know. But if he was at a bar, at that level he probably shouldn't have been served.

I've been out with friends who were obviously Black Out drunk and bars were still serving them. Luckily for my friends, I was driving and I stepped in to keep it from getting worse.

I

Yes, it is illegal to serve someone who is obvisouly drunk. Not to mention nearly every bar would and should fire you for it. They don't want to be sued and shut down if a drunk drives and kills somebody leaving there bar.

Keep in mind though, when somebody is just sitting at bar, it's hard to tell if they are drunk. Police officers have tests to see if your drunk, bar-tenders don't.

The other problem is bar-hopping. When someonbody comes into the bar, I had no idea how many drinks they've already had. In CP's case, he could have had 6 beers at one bar, then walked next door and had 6 more. If he wasn't acting drunk,
then neither bartender over-served him.

Froglaw

I think Drunk Driving education does people a disservice because they focus on encouraging people to not drink at all and drive. That's unrealistic.

However, it is more realistic that if you're driving, to drink responsibly. When I'm driving, 3 is my limit. Some people can limit what they drink, some can't. Those that can't shouldn't drink and drive at all. Those that can should know their limit and stay well below it.

Here you go:

Sec. 2.02. CAUSES OF ACTION. (a) This chapter does not affect the right of any person to bring a common law cause of action against any individual whose consumption of an alcoholic beverage allegedly resulted in causing the person bringing the suit to suffer personal injury or property damage.
(b) Providing, selling, or serving an alcoholic beverage may be made the basis of a statutory cause of action under this chapter and may be made the basis of a revocation proceeding under Section 6.01(b) of this code upon proof that:
(1) at the time the provision occurred it was apparent to the provider that the individual being sold, served, or provided with an alcoholic beverage was obviously intoxicated to the extent that he presented a clear danger to himself and others; and
(2) the intoxication of the recipient of the alcoholic beverage was a proximate cause of the damages suffered.
(c) An adult 21 years of age or older is liable for damages proximately caused by the intoxication of a minor under the age of 18 if:
(1) the adult is not:
(A) the minor's parent, guardian, or spouse; or
(B) an adult in whose custody the minor has been committed by a court; and
(2) the adult knowingly:
(A) served or provided to the minor any of the alcoholic beverages that contributed to the minor's intoxication; or
(B) allowed the minor to be served or provided any of the alcoholic beverages that contributed to the minor's intoxication on the premises owned or leased by the adult.

Added by Acts 1987, 70th Leg., ch. 303, Sec. 3, eff. June 11, 1987.
Amended by:
Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 643, Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2005.

swimmerbabe11

It is a situation you really can't win.

If someone is acting respectable, more than likely, they will be served. If they are actually wasted and have a good game face, then go get in an accident, the bartender/bar can be liable.
If someone is acting like a moron, but isn't drunk and gets cut off, then the bartender is blamed for turning down money and making patrons leave.

Maxi, I have never ever seen you drunk ever. :tongue: