• The KillerFrogs

Daily Oklahoman: Big 12 football can be saved by Big 12 teams

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Daily Oklahoman: Big 12 football can be saved by Big 12 teams

by Berry Tramel

On New Year's Day 2013, Florida State was about to play Northern Illinois in the Orange Bowl, and many thought Florida State would lose. After all, ACC teams had lost 12 of its previous 13 Bowl Championship Series games.

You know what happened next.

Florida State not only beat Northern Illinois but Auburn the next season for the national title. Clemson stormed to the 2016 championship. Now the ACC is mentioned as the greatest challenger to SEC supremacy.

Read more at http://newsok.com/article/5557331

Atomic Frawg

“Is it my job to take care of the Big 12? No,” Herman said. “It's none of our jobs to take care of the Big 12. Our job is to win games, graduate players, represent the University of Texas really, really well, at a very, very high, elite level, and in turn that takes care of the Big 12.”

Yep...he drank the Kool Aid. That's the problem with the conference. Every other member is about the conference, and the people in Austin are about themselves.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
“Is it my job to take care of the Big 12? No,” Herman said. “It's none of our jobs to take care of the Big 12. Our job is to win games, graduate players, represent the University of Texas really, really well, at a very, very high, elite level, and in turn that takes care of the Big 12.”

Yep...he drank the Kool Aid. That's the problem with the conference. Every other member is about the conference, and the people in Austin are about themselves.

In all fairness, if every team accomplishes what he says, then the problem goes away...

GoFrog Yourself

Think it's fair for a first year coach to be focused on his program. If Gary came out and said the same things none of us would have a problem with it

Atomic Frawg

In all fairness, if every team accomplishes what he says, then the problem goes away...
Think it's fair for a first year coach to be focused on his program. If Gary came out and said the same things none of us would have a problem with it
What he said goes without saying. That's like saying each Congressperson's job is to look out for his/her district, but you don't do it to the detriment of the Nation as a whole. Every coach's job at this level is to win games, graduate players, grow the next generation into better citizens, and represent your university in a positive manner. Not all coaches adhere to those principles, and some put more focus on some aspects while ignoring others. Every other coach stated we all have to worry about the conference and take actions to put it in a better light. At this point, that meant getting in an extra game. When coaches don't look at the big picture, is shows within the conference. That's why Texas is willing to allow the rest of the conference to suffer, as long as it makes its cheese with TV rights and a Big 12 network. That type of mentality is a cancer.

Thw SWC broke up because of Texas. The B12 had defections and almoat broke up because of Texas. And as long as Texas keeps thinking "what's in it for me" instead of "what's in it for us," the B12 will stay in trouble

Last edited:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Gary Patterson's job is not being paid to take care of the Big 12. If he does what he is paid to do then he takes care of his primary responsibilities to his school, players snd fans and as a result does his part for the conference.

CountryFrog

What he said goes without saying. That's like saying each Congressperson's job is to look out for his/her district, but you don't do it to the detriment of the Nation as a whole. Every coach's job at this level is to win games, graduate players, grow the next generation into better citizens, and represent your university in a positive manner. Not all coaches adhere to those principles, and some put more focus on some aspects while ignoring others. Every other coach stated we all have to worry about the conference and take actions to put it in a better light. At this point, that meant getting in an extra game. When coaches don't look at the big picture, is shows within the conference. That's why Texas is willing to allow the rest of the conference to suffer, as long as it makes its cheese with TV rights and a Big 12 network. That type of mentality is a cancer.

Thw SWC broke up because of Texas. The B12 had defections and almoat broke up because of Texas. And as long as Texas keeps thinking "what's in it for me" instead of "what's in it for us," the B12 will stay in trouble
I think you're over thinking what was a very benign statement.

Wexahu

Gary Patterson's job is not being paid to take care of the Big 12. If he does what he is paid to do then he takes care of his primary responsibilities to his school, players snd fans and as a result does his part for the conference.

Exactly. It's not Tom Hermans job to worry about the conference, he's paid to win games for Texas. The Presidents and ADs can promote the conference.

Every coach wants to and tries to win every game. Lose one and you are out of playoffs. All this crap is just noise. No one plays for the conference. Fans can cheer for teams in their conference to do well, but if a team needs conference motivation to play well then they are not going to win much. The Big 12's biggest benefit is its biggest drawback. Parity. Our teams are all very good and we all play each other and knock each other off. For the first time ever OU swept our conference in a year they lose two out of conference games.

Alabama owns the SEC dominates it and they have no parity. When Bama wins championships the SEC gets credit. The other conferences have two divisions to protect their second and third place teams from beating each other. I really believe the Big 12 should go to two divisions so we can have two undefeated teams and two one loss teams like other conferences. More teams stay higher ranked so wins and losses count more if teams are ranked.

Wexahu

Every coach wants to and tries to win every game. Lose one and you are out of playoffs. All this crap is just noise. No one plays for the conference. Fans can cheer for teams in their conference to do well, but if a team needs conference motivation to play well then they are not going to win much. The Big 12's biggest benefit is its biggest drawback. Parity. Our teams are all very good and we all play each other and knock each other off. For the first time ever OU swept our conference in a year they lose two out of conference games.

Alabama owns the SEC dominates it and they have no parity. When Bama wins championships the SEC gets credit. The other conferences have two divisions to protect their second and third place teams from beating each other. I really believe the Big 12 should go to two divisions so we can have two undefeated teams and two one loss teams like other conferences. More teams stay higher ranked so wins and losses count more if teams are ranked.

If you think that all the Big 12's teams are "very good" and that the SEC is just Alabama and a bunch of average teams you are high on something very very strong.

If you think that all the Big 12's teams are "very good" and that the SEC is just Alabama and a bunch of average teams you are high on something very very strong.

My point is other conferences are top heavy one dominant team and one really good team. Bama and SEC West have great teams, but who has played for CFP besides Bama?

Big 10 Ohio State top Michigan, Penn State not as good.

ACC Clemson/Florida State nothing else

Pac 12 No dominant team a lot of parity as well as Big 12. USC, Oregon, Stanford.

If a top teams wins goes undefeated the conference gets the credit is my point. In conferences where every team doesn't have to play the top team, they have a huge advantage over our conference. I hope you get my point. It isn't this conference sucks or is better it is simply they are different with different formats that give them a huge advantage. They get more home games less road games and fewer games against the best teams in the conference. Big 12 play every team every year home or road. Some like this about the Big 12 some hate it I just see the benefits of each format and believe our format has the most negatives by far.

berryfrog95

One thing that could've been done is do two divisions. It would have provided a more transparent championship game like the other conferences.

Wexahu

My point is other conferences are top heavy one dominant team and one really good team. Bama and SEC West have great teams, but who has played for CFP besides Bama?

Big 10 Ohio State top Michigan, Penn State not as good.

ACC Clemson/Florida State nothing else

Pac 12 No dominant team a lot of parity as well as Big 12. USC, Oregon, Stanford.

If a top teams wins goes undefeated the conference gets the credit is my point. In conferences where every team doesn't have to play the top team, they have a huge advantage over our conference. I hope you get my point. It isn't this conference sucks or is better it is simply they are different with different formats that give them a huge advantage. They get more home games less road games and fewer games against the best teams in the conference. Big 12 play every team every year home or road. Some like this about the Big 12 some hate it I just see the benefits of each format and believe our format has the most negatives by far.

I think the Big 12 just needs to have better teams, I don't think our format hurts as much as you think. When your undefeated-in-conference champion from a year ago gets beat by three TDs at home against a Big 10 team, that's a problem. When supposedly one of your best teams loses at home to a below average SEC west team, that's a problem. When your flagship school loses to a below average Pac12 team, that's a problem.

I think the Big 12 just needs to have better teams, I don't think our format hurts as much as you think. When your undefeated-in-conference champion from a year ago gets beat by three TDs at home against a Big 10 team, that's a problem. When supposedly one of your best teams loses at home to a below average SEC west team, that's a problem. When your flagship school loses to a below average Pac12 team, that's a problem.

Can't argue that logic even agree with it. Ohio State had a horrible loss to Va Tech in a down year for Va Tech. Then we got the Baylor-Shiiitee eye test crap and Ohio State was the only team that improved as the season went on LOL u know the rest. Better teams performing better out of conference and in bowls would be a huge help.

DFWTanman

Agree that other conferences have their divisions structured to protect their top two best teams won/loss records, as well as to insulate their 2nd through 4th best teams. I commend them for having had the foresight to structure them this way. No doubt the Big 12 should have 2 divisions of 6 teams each, not 5 teams or especially a division of 10 teams with the top 2 playing each other for the championship like we do this year. However because of what I contend was/is financial greed, our conference opted to stay at 10 teams after the defection of Nebraska, Colorado, A&M and Missouri. Unfortunately the Big 12 never forecast or believed that a playoff committee would eventually select the top 4 playoff teams. Bottom line the Big 12 should have invited Louisville when it had the opportunity to do so and one other quality university to stay at 12 teams; not 10! But it's way to late because if the conference expanded now, the national media would ridicule the Big 12 for going after college football's "bottom feeders". No doubt that the conference chose not to expand this past year because of still not wanting to share their profits with two potential "bottom feeders". I am amused when I read articles that talk about saving the Big 12, when everybody knows that within 10 years there will only be 4 super conferences, no Big 12 and a whole lot of "bottom feeders". This season's feeble Big 12 playoff system still won't do any good unless the conference champ is undefeated. To bad UH's program is not located in say Iowa, BYU's program is not so dysfunctional; not to mention that the Big 12 has a bad reputation for scheduling to many Jackson States.

frognutz

Texas has been the problem for the Big 12 since the playoff era began. Since 2013, Texas is 1-9 against non-conference P5 teams with that one win coming against a 4-8 Notre Dame team. When one of your 2 flagship schools is that bad, the conference reputation suffers mightily.

In my opinion, the negativity towards the Big 12 starts and ends with UT sharting all over themselves the last 4 years.

tcumaniac

"In 2014, Baylor probably would have made the playoff had it played a representative non-conference schedule; instead, the Bears played SMU, Northwestern State of Louisiana and Buffalo, and the playoff committee elevated Ohio State past Baylor."

Darn this stupid darning article. I'm even going to waste any more of my life explaining how mother darning stupid the above quote is. Darn you Berry Tramel.

Big Frog II

Can't argue that logic even agree with it. Ohio State had a horrible loss to Va Tech in a down year for Va Tech. Then we got the Baylor-Shiiitee eye test crap and Ohio State was the only team that improved as the season went on LOL u know the rest. Better teams performing better out of conference and in bowls would be a huge help.
I believe will also improved as the season went along.