• The KillerFrogs

Colorado to the MWC

tetonfrog

QUOTE(Genbukan @ Jun 6 2010, 06:41 PM) [snapback]569531[/snapback]
http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_15236809

Good column. Great idea. We are the Mountain West. Why not add another team in the Rocky Mountains? But this is more of a dream than reality. THere is no way CU turns down the PAC 12.....er 16. The MWC 16 seems a bit of a stretch, but it would have markets from San Diego to SLC to Denver to Kansas City to D/FW to Houston.

On the flip side, wasn't that why the WAC folded?

Trelvis

QUOTE(tetonfrog @ Jun 6 2010, 06:49 PM) [snapback]569534[/snapback]
Good column.

Agreed, that was a good read.

Great column. I like how he points out that student athletes are being used as pieces of meat. That is my biggest problem with all this expansion talk. The student athletes are being used as pawns to grab up a bigger piece of a limited monetary pie. Schools would be getting all this money and I guarantee you that tuitions will not go down one dime.

I think it would be great to have them in MWC.

West:
UNLV
BYU
UTAH
BSU
Fresno St
UNM
SDSU

East:
TCU
CU
Kansas
KSU
CSU
AFA
WYO

Tell UH and BU to go play with themselves...

macaroni

If you're constantly chasing the Longhorns' tail, the view never changes. And it stinks.

Bwahaa, that's awesome.

berryfrog95

QUOTE(FriskyFrog @ Jun 6 2010, 02:04 PM) [snapback]569544[/snapback]
Bwahaa, that's awesome.

nice column....the voting slightly favors the MWC move and in all honesty I think be a nice fit for CU. Nice natural rivals, similar travel distances for away games, etc

macaroni

QUOTE(PhormerPhrog @ Jun 6 2010, 01:00 PM) [snapback]569541[/snapback]
West:
UNLV
BYU
UTAH
BSU
Fresno St
UNM
SDSU

East:
TCU
CU
Kansas
KSU
CSU
AFA
WYO

Tell UH and BU to go play with themselves...

That's a salty league that is at the least ahead of the Big East and ACC. It would take Colorado, Kansas and KSU being left out of other scenarios in order for them to agree. They would only go nonBCS if that is their only option.

Trelvis

QUOTE(PhormerPhrog @ Jun 6 2010, 07:00 PM) [snapback]569541[/snapback]
Tell UH to go play with themselves...

I think he has a good point about Houston. I am not big on them either, but money and TV markets seem to be the big talk in all of this and the Houston tv market could help out.

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(Trelvis @ Jun 6 2010, 02:09 PM) [snapback]569551[/snapback]
I think he has a good point about Houston. I am not big on them either, but money and TV markets seem to be the big talk in all of this and the Houston tv market could help out.

The Houston TV market is albeit HUGE but NOBODY is gonna be watching Coog High football games...end of story.

QUOTE(Trelvis @ Jun 6 2010, 02:09 PM) [snapback]569551[/snapback]

What is their real market share? A&M and TU dominate Houston. Ours isn't even that great in DFW.

I think having Kansas in basketball and FSU in football and baseball is enough to take them over what little Houston market the kittens bring.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ Jun 6 2010, 02:14 PM) [snapback]569553[/snapback]
The Houston TV market is albeit HUGE but NOBODY is gonna be watching Coog High football games...end of story.

Thank YOu. This can't be repeated enough. I live in Houston but I get chills every time I think about being in the same conference with UH again.

Nick Danger

Looks like it's going to be Colorado to the PAC-16 afterall. According to this tweet from Kirk Bohls, the PAC-10 has ZERO interest in inviting the Bears and their neato new President Kenny Starr! (I put in the Ken Starr part just because I don't like Ken Starr). :angry:
Baylor is SOL

@Smooth_Operatah Yes, the same Big 12 school official told me the Pac 10 has no interest in Baylor.

QUOTE(FriskyFrog @ Jun 6 2010, 02:08 PM) [snapback]569550[/snapback]
That's a salty league that is at the least ahead of the Big East and ACC. It would take Colorado, Kansas and KSU being left out of other scenarios in order for them to agree. They would only go nonBCS if that is their only option.

It would also give a 10-team baseball league and we could actually have a legit baseball tournament.

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Jun 6 2010, 02:20 PM) [snapback]569556[/snapback]
Thank YOu. This can't be repeated enough. I live in Houston but I get chills every time I think about being in the same conference with UH again.

Houston TV Market Audience / Fans -

1. LSU
2. Texas
3. eaTme

Not sure about numbers or rank here but I would think Coog High is waaaaaayyyy down the list.

ectofrog

QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ Jun 6 2010, 02:27 PM) [snapback]569565[/snapback]
Houston TV Market Audience / Fans -

1. LSU
2. Texas
3. eaTme

Not sure about numbers or rank here but I would think Coog High is waaaaaayyyy down the list.

Aggie is HUGE in Houston as College Station is only an hour from the outskirts of the city. I sincerely doubt that LSU is ahead of Aggie on this list.

Texas might be, but only because A&M's been down in recent years. In their football heyday during the 90's, I was growing up in Houston and A&M couldn't have been more popular with Houston kids.

QUOTE(ectofrog @ Jun 6 2010, 08:27 PM) [snapback]569620[/snapback]
Aggie is HUGE in Houston as College Station is only an hour from the outskirts of the city. I sincerely doubt that LSU is ahead of Aggie on this list.

Texas might be, but only because A&M's been down in recent years. In their football heyday during the 90's, I was growing up in Houston and A&M couldn't have been more popular with Houston kids.

Agreed. It's more like:

1. Texas
2. A&M
3. LSU

Just like DFW is:

1. Texas
2. OU
3. A&M
4. Tech
5. TCU

Sucks, but true. If Ft. Worth was another hour from Dallas and they didn't consider FW in the same market as Dallas, TCU would have more pull. But as a whole, saying TCU "carries the DFW market" is saying it with purple-shaded glasses.

Cougar/Frog

DFW is more TCU than it has been in decades. While UT and A&M are still top dogs, I find it hard to believe that casual DFW fans would support that piece of garbage school five hours away in the Panhandle rather than TCU.

Oh, what did the Fiesta Bowl draw locally? 22.8 rating, or similar to a Cowboys game? If TCU was on Saturday ABC broadcasts, I think we would draw a pretty good weekly rating...

jadailyTCU

QUOTE(Cougar/Frog @ Jun 6 2010, 05:54 PM) [snapback]569710[/snapback]
DFW is more TCU than it has been in decades. While UT and A&M are still top dogs, I find it hard to believe that casual DFW fans would support that piece of garbage school five hours away in the Panhandle rather than TCU.

One thing: D/FW is Tech's top alumni base. They probably have more living alumni in D/FW than we have living alumni total.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(jadailyTCU @ Jun 6 2010, 06:03 PM) [snapback]569721[/snapback]
One thing: D/FW is Tech's top alumni base. They probably have more living alumni in D/FW than we have living alumni total.

Correct. The roofing and restaurant industries are big Tech magnets.