• The KillerFrogs

Coaches #4

Wexahu

Stop with the whoa is us comment. You'r still in 2014 with the OSU pick. Forget that, We are talking advertising $$ and when it comes down to that, we will need to be undefeated to get into the playoffs. We are not the only school not considered one of the chosen elite.
If we win a NC we probably become one. If you don't think that committee is pressured by the ESPN/Disney management when it comes to potential $$, you live in a dream world, An 8 team playoff would greatly ease this situation and a 16 team playoff would eliminate because it would become December madness and ESPN/Disney management would be ecstatic with the potential $$, And no I am not mike Leach.

A TCU-Penn State playoff game wouldn’t generate any less TV advertising income than a Clemson-Penn State playoff game. That’s a fantasy in your head.

A TCU-Penn State playoff game wouldn’t generate any less TV advertising income than a Clemson-Penn State playoff game. That’s a fantasy in your head.

You are dead wrong my friend. The only fantasy is your dream that all teams are considered equal based on their on field records and strength of schedule, Ohio state lost at home to a poor Vva Tech team whereas Baylor lost on the road to a pretty good WV team in 2014 (forget about us as that only means "whoa are us" to you.

Zubaz

You are dead wrong my friend. The only fantasy is your dream that all teams are considered equal based on their on field records and strength of schedule, Ohio state lost at home to a poor Vva Tech team whereas Baylor lost on the road to a pretty good WV team in 2014 (forget about us as that only means "whoa are us" to you.
The computer models, which don't have that bias, tended to put OSU's SOS ahead of Baylor's.

Wexahu

You’re just making stuff up as far as the TV ratings are concerned.

And Ohio State had both a better record and a better strength of schedule than Baylor, by almost any measure you can come up with. How much more cut and dried do you want it?

Ron Swanson

I don't agree completely but that's a good post. What gets lost in the shuffle is why Oregon got a free pass from not only our fan base, but just about everyone. (I think its because they aren't Big 10 or SEC so they don't fit the popular argument.) IMO Ohio State had a better resume than Oregon but it was just a given, and everyone was accepting of the fact that they were a playoff team. No controversy at all for some reason. Ohio State was clearly a better all-around team than Oregon, especially along the O and D-lines.

It's really, really hard to say the best of the four teams to make the playoffs shouldn't have even been there. That doesn't make a lot of sense.
Ohio St lost by 14 to a 6-loss team, at home.

TCU lost by 3 on the road to an 11-win team.

FSU getting in made it clear that your losses are what matter and that it didn’t matter how good the committee actually thinks you are. Our loss was way better than Ohio St’s loss. OSU shouldn’t have lost by 14 to a 6-loss team at home.

If they wanted the four best teams, we would have been in with OSU. If they wanted the 4 most deserving, we would’ve been in with FSU.

Instead, the committee got their cake and ate it too.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
RS554345_20170922_JF3_2552.jpg

NYSE1.jpg

Wexahu

Ohio St lost by 14 to a 6-loss team, at home.

TCU lost by 3 on the road to an 11-win team.

FSU getting in made it clear that your losses are what matter and that it didn’t matter how good the committee actually thinks you are. Our loss was way better than Ohio St’s loss. OSU shouldn’t have lost by 14 to a 6-loss team at home.

If they wanted the four best teams, we would have been in with OSU. If they wanted the 4 most deserving, we would’ve been in with FSU.

Instead, the committee got their cake and ate it too.

What was our best win? What was OSU’s? Why shouldn’t that be a factor? What about Oregon?

FSU played more P5 teams than anyone in the country, was the only undefeated team, and hadn’t lost in 25 games, excluding them from a 4-team playoff would have been asinine. Yeah, they struggled in some games, but they still won.

Zubaz

FSU getting in made it clear that your losses are what matter and that it didn’t matter how good the committee actually thinks you are.
Interesting. I think it's been clear that the NUMBER of losses matter, but who you actually lost to is secondary to how strong your WINS are. OSU got in with a bad loss to Virginia Tech, OU got in with a bad loss to Texas, Clemson got in with a bad loss to Pitt. None of that cost them too much because it was their only loss, and their schedule could make up for the rest.

Ron Swanson

Interesting. I think it's been clear that the NUMBER of losses matter, but who you actually lost to is secondary to how strong your WINS are. OSU got in with a bad loss to Virginia Tech, OU got in with a bad loss to Texas, Clemson got in with a bad loss to Pitt. None of that cost them too much because it was their only loss, and their schedule could make up for the rest.
Your loss should absolutely matter. If two teams each have one loss, the team who barely lost to an excellent team should absolutely get some credit over a team who got their arse kicked by a bad team.

Also, TCU was kicking team’s arses all season long, which should also be taken into account when assessing how good a team is. In fact, I believe TCU had the largest average margin of victory in the nation that year... 1 spot ahead of Ohio St. IIRC

Ron Swanson

What was our best win? What was OSU’s? Why shouldn’t that be a factor? What about Oregon?

FSU played more P5 teams than anyone in the country, was the only undefeated team, and hadn’t lost in 25 games, excluding them from a 4-team playoff would have been asinine. Yeah, they struggled in some games, but they still won.

Go look at what the Big Ten did in their out of conference schedule in 2014. It was embarrassing (including OSU losing by 14 to a 6-loss VaTech at home).

So pardon me if I don’t take their big wins all that seriously.

Wexahu

Your loss should absolutely matter. If two teams each have one loss, the team who barely lost to an excellent team should absolutely get some credit over a team who got their arse kicked by a bad team.

Also, TCU was kicking team’s arses all season long, which should also be taken into account when assessing how good a team is. In fact, I believe TCU had the largest average margin of victory in the nation that year... 1 spot ahead of Ohio St. IIRC

Did you see the Kansas game?

You make a decent point, but I’m 100% sure that if we had OSU’s resume and they had ours in 2014, the most vocal TCU fans complaining about blue blood favoritism would be making the exact opposite arguments. In other words, had we lost to Minnesota and then swept the Big 12 and beat Kansas State 59-0 in the CCG and got left out for an OSU team that went 11-1 and hadn’t beat anyone better than Michigan that year we’d have been even more livid.

A system that excludes teams because they are blue bloods is no more fair than one that includes them because they are blue bloods. Blue blood OSU had our exact resume in 2015 (with probably their best team) and didn’t make it. It happens. Different circumstances each year. We were very unlucky the last few weeks of 2014 with how everything played out.

Wexahu

Go look at what the Big Ten did in their out of conference schedule in 2014. It was embarrassing (including OSU losing by 14 to a 6-loss VaTech at home).

So pardon me if I don’t take their big wins all that seriously.

What did the Big 12 do that year? What big wins did our conference have in OOC play? Oklahoma beat a 7-6 Tennessee team at home and we beat Minnesota at home. I mean, that’s not exactly an impressive list either.

Wexahu

TCU was very clearly one of the 4 best teams in the country in 2014 and didn’t get a chance to be in the four team playoff.

So was Ohio State though. Why is it more fair if they don’t get a chance to be in the playoff? Why is Oregon not targeted by our fan base like OSU? Do you think Oregon was better than Ohio State?

Latest posts