• The KillerFrogs

Coach Dixon, please stop our worst shooters from shooting 3's

Purp

I didn't read the game thread, so I'm assuming this has been covered, but our best shooters missed wide open looks. Bottom line, we just didn't make enough open shots to win the game and they were hotter than ship all night. This conference is brutal, and we just had our worst shooting night of the year.

We'll bounce back, and it was good to see that our FTs actually kept us in it.

I wanted to murder the refs, btw.
Yeah, our offensive rebounding kept us in the game bc they weren't missing on their attempts so we had to get multiple attempts on many possessions just to keep pace.

I'm stunned by how consistently terrible the officiating was for both sides all night. We had 4 guys with 2 fouls with over 5 minutes to go in the 1st half and they were all critical guys. That was a huge story in the game.

Adubuike also stayed in foul trouble, but realistically could/should have fouled out in the first half. His production along with Fish given their foul trouble were impressive.

I still think the loss comes down to our 3 point defense. We are consistently slow rotating on open jump shooters and when you play a team like Kansas who can fill it up from the perimeter (that's really how they have to win big games) you have to run them off the 3 point line and contest those looks. They were physical (beyond the rules IMO) and affected our FG%, but we didn't do enough to affect their FG%. Perhaps our foul trouble had something to do with that, though.

And you're right, the irony of them missing foul shots and us making them to stay close was rich. I haven't looked at the final stats, but I think we only missed 1 all night and it may have been the first one in the game taken by Hamdy. Great night from the line.

MadFrog

I think our real problem is on defense. But I must admit, we have a couple players who I would rather not see shoot the ball. It is like a turnover every time they shoot.

netty2424

I distinctly recall ARob's bucket. A dribble drive for a layup. That's the kind of stuff (along with some tight bounce passes) he does well and should continue to do well.

EDIT: And in 14 minutes, JF shoots 4-6 from 3 (6-8 overall) and gets 16 points. His foul-trouble minutes limit was critical.
Good post. AR is best at dribble/drive and kicking out or dumping off. He's a pretty decent shooter at 8-10 feet range. He's struggled outside of that this year. He's got more scoring options this year so a point drop off is fine with me.

Fish was on fire and had a green light. Have no problem with him shooting at distance. Especially last night.

I do wish Fish would start taking it inside more like AR. It's effective if they protect the ball.

MTfrog5

The thing that hurt really bad was going scoreless for almost 4 minutes after we cut the lead to 1 the first time. Then they extend it to 9 again. Can’t go that long without scoring against Kansas when you have all the momentum

Seemed like we didn’t take care of the ball. Lots of turn overs. Too many passes of the back foot. Other than they were en fuego and we went cold for long stretches I thought that was the be biggest factor.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
And the experts are at it again. Geez, 2 years into his rebuild, has the team ranked and competing with teams that have been recruiting the cream of the crop for years and the e-geniuses are giving hints to a proven winner. Simply amazing so many people are wasting their efforts here when they could be pulling down the big dinero at a big time school...

hiphopfroggy

Kansas didn't miss a shot until half way through the first half and they were attacking VB on the post, TCU seemed to make the adjustment but then there seemed to be too many uncontested 3 balls in the 2nd half. But yea AR should have passed one more time to an open Bane on the late 3 missed at the top of the arc; However I'm pretty sure everyone made at least one mistake, and not sure a single mistake in a game of 50 possessions for each team isn't good.
Just need to keep packing in the crowds and stay healthy, no need to get too down on a close loss to KU who has won the conference for a straight decade.

BleedNPurple

Can’t remeber his number but we let the same guy for Kansas set up on the right side and throw in 3 pointers uncontested at will.

BABYFACE

I didn't read the game thread, so I'm assuming this has been covered, but our best shooters missed wide open looks. Bottom line, we just didn't make enough open shots to win the game and they were hotter than ship all night. This conference is brutal, and we just had our worst shooting night of the year.

We'll bounce back, and it was good to see that our FTs actually kept us in it.

I wanted to murder the refs, btw.

Yep, KU shot unbelievably from the field and Lightfoot had a career game, offensively and defensively. TCU didn’t shoot the ball well most of the first half. In the past, that would have meant a blowout loss.

It is testament to how good this TCU team is, since they were in this game to the end.

helcap

More specifically, if we continue to allow someone shooting 15% (AR) to shoot threes, I cannot continue to follow the team. It makes no logical sense.

In a conference where you know every game is going to be a 1-3 point game. A guy who misses 4 threes our of 4 shots takes away 4-6 points from Vlad or KW. 4-26 on the year.

One can only hope

pgdaly84

It was a bummer to lose that game, but we have come a very long way in a very short time. We were among the very worst basketball programs in the country for basically two decades. Now we’re playing ultra close games with top 20 teams and are ranked. There is real talent for the first time since I’ve been around TCU. We have some serious problems to fix on defense, and we have stretches where we are incredibly careless with the ball. I think both will improve because Dixon is a hell of a coach. Gonna be a fun season!

PurpleBlood87

Sometimes you have to just shoot your way out of it. There where many times tonight I was saying don’t take the shot! There’s a lot of reasons why our poor shooters had open looks - like their #0 - we just made no effort to cover him and he produced only a point or two.

JD Miller could take 100 shots and not shoot his way out of it. That might have worked for Miller in high school but his game seems to in the paint and roaming the baseline inside the arc.

Purp

JD Miller could take 100 shots and not shoot his way out of it. That might have worked for Miller in high school but his game seems to in the paint and roaming the baseline inside the arc.
I disagree on JD. He's shot a good percentage from 3 in plenty of games at TCU. I'm okay with him shooting that shot when it's wide open and uncontested. If he shot it more often it would probably make his touches in the paint more productive too.

Bob

Yes, lets all give advice to the best coach in the country who has transformed TCU from a laughing stock to a championship caliber team.

Tom Brown

I disagree on JD. He's shot a good percentage from 3 in plenty of games at TCU. I'm okay with him shooting that shot when it's wide open and uncontested. If he shot it more often it would probably make his touches in the paint more productive too.

For a key stretch last season he was our best shooter until BP woke up.

TX_Krötenechse

Really hate the posters who think that people listing legitimate gripes is attacking the coach or the team. The team is good overall and Dixon is an amazing coach. But it is still crazy that we are not having some players play more to their strengths.