• The KillerFrogs

Chris Peterson to Arkansas - Rumor

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
I hate it when I see so many people spell Kimbell with an "a" instead of an "e". Also when the spell Rubens without the "s" as if he were a sandwhich.

Gamecock in DFW

I'd love to see Petersen at Arky, don't think it'll happen, though.

On the other hand, I can assure you NO SEC team wants Patterson in the conference. He would excel at any school in the conference and his style is a great fit. That said, I truly hope and believe he stays at TCU. I think a Big 12 championship is sooner than later.

Why would he want to be a Hog head? I give Petersen way more credit than to jump into that cauldron. He could make more money but the pressure would be so great as to not make it worth the trouble.

Tsfardiim

Why would he want to be a Hog head? I give Petersen way more credit than to jump into that cauldron. He could make more money but the pressure would be so great as to not make it worth the trouble.

Exactly. They fired their best coach in decades (Nutt), second only to the legendary, if only in Arkansas, Frank Broyles, only a year removed from winning the SEC West, and after an 8-4 season. Granted, there were some controversies involved, but I don't think it was bad enough to fire him.

Why would anyone want to go there? Surely, Petersen had been offered more money in the past, and it wasn't enough to get him to leave. I don't know that Petersen will end his career at Boise, but I can't see him going to UA.

ARFrog

They fired their best coach in decades (Nutt)...

Nutt had some great teams but couldn't recruit and overall was a joke. Handled several matters very poorly. Notice how long he lasted at Ole Miss. Petrino was much better coach but didn't recruit defensive personnel well.

To all those who say why would Petersen go to that cauldron or whatever...every large school trying to be big time, especially state schools have variations of the same issues and many are much worse. That is a major reason why I think Gary would be nuts to leave TCU to go to virtually anyplace else. The media and fan scrutiny, [Rod Gilmore] and moaning at schools like that is unbelievable in comparison to TCU.

rifram09

Some of you guys are really down on Arkansas, and I don't know why... maybe blind hate?

While I don't think it is a job that would attract a coach from another successful school in the PAC, B1G, B12, or SEC, it is leaps and bounds better than Boise. If you think about there being 4 major conferences of 46 schools plus the ACC has about 5-6 good coaching spots, Arky is at least in the top half of those. It is at least a top-30 job in the country. Meanwhile, not a single coach would leave even the ACC for Boise.

I'm not an Arky fan or apologist; I'm just trying to be a voice or reason.

Some of you guys are really down on Arkansas, and I don't know why... maybe blind hate?

While I don't think it is a job that would attract a coach from another successful school in the PAC, B1G, B12, or SEC, it is leaps and bounds better than Boise. If you think about there being 4 major conferences of 46 schools plus the ACC has about 5-6 good coaching spots, Arky is at least in the top half of those. It is at least a top-30 job in the country. Meanwhile, not a single coach would leave even the ACC for Boise.

There's no doubt that it's a more attractive job than Boise for most people. But Chris Petersen isn't most people. There's a reason he's stayed at BSU so long (most likely the comfort level with the docs who treat his child). That one variable changes any conventional wisdom.

If he wanted to leave, he could probably go anywhere he wanted. The UCLA job was his last year for the taking, and that's a much, much more attractive job than Arky (with access to some of the best medicine in the world, too).

He may very well leave some day, but I wouldn't spend much time trying to guess when that will be. It will be on his terms/timeline.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
If Twitter is "blowing up" with this "news", none of the CFB guys a I follow is reporting anything on it yet. Maybe I need to check the Blue Turf board to see what they are saying.

rifram09

The UCLA job was his last year for the taking, and that's a much, much more attractive job than Arky (with access to some of the best medicine in the world, too).

This is the attitude I'm talking about. I couldn't disagree with you more. UCLA is a basketball school with a history of getting stomped by USC in football. The city of LA thinks of USC as the football power, and UCLA as the basketball power.

At Arky, you're the only show in town, and the entire state loves you. You're already in (arguably) the best conference in the country, and you already have respect there. Facilities, boosters, national and regional respect, fan base support, high salaries for assistants... It is simply a good job. Again, I don't think it is quite enough to take GP from TCU.

Also, Petersen may have been riding the storm out at Boise to see how conference realignment was going to shake out. As it stands, it looks like Boise is going to be out in the cold for the next 10-15 years. It's sad but true. The only reason he would stay at Boise is if he is less worried about advancing his career than he is about other factors in life (stress, family, etc.). I'll respect the heck out of him for staying in Boise, and I'll understand if he leaves. But comparing Petersen staying at Boise to Patterson staying at TCU is apples to oranges at this point.

Sup Frog

No question Arkie is a better job than Boise. Its just not a better job than several others he will most certainly have or has already had a shot at.

This is the attitude I'm talking about. I couldn't disagree with you more. UCLA is a basketball school with a history of getting stomped by USC in football. The city of LA thinks of USC as the football power, and UCLA as the basketball power.

At Arky, you're the only show in town, and the entire state loves you. You're already in (arguably) the best conference in the country, and you already have respect there. Facilities, boosters, national and regional respect, fan base support, high salaries for assistants... It is simply a good job. Again, I don't think it is quite enough to take GP from TCU.

Also, Petersen may have been riding the storm out at Boise to see how conference realignment was going to shake out. As it stands, it looks like Boise is going to be out in the cold for the next 10-15 years. It's sad but true. The only reason he would stay at Boise is if he is less worried about advancing his career than he is about other factors in life (stress, family, etc.). I'll respect the heck out of him for staying in Boise, and I'll understand if he leaves. But comparing Petersen staying at Boise to Patterson staying at TCU is apples to oranges at this point.

There's no "attitude" there. Me thinks you cherry-picked my post to fit your own narrative. Point was, as Sup Frog made more succinctly, he will have better offers than Arky. UCLA was better for him because of access to world-class medical facilities, which I doubt are very good in Fayetteville.

FrogSwagSurfin

Peterson was offered the Stanford job two years ago and turned it down. Although BSU's national championship path has turned south I do see him moving on for a west coast job in a couple of years. He's had better opportunities then Arky and I believe he grew up in the SF Bay area so I just don't see it happening

FrogSwagSurfin

Peterson was offered the Stanford job two years ago and turned it down. Although BSU's national championship path has turned south I do see him moving on for a west coast job in a couple of years. He's had better opportunities then Arky and I believe he grew up in the SF Bay area so I just don't see it happening

Sup Frog

If Kelly heads for the NFL as so many have predicted, Oregon would be a good spot for him. Cal looks to try to be turning things around.

rifram09

There's no "attitude" there. Me thinks you cherry-picked my post to fit your own narrative. Point was, as Sup Frog made more succinctly, he will have better offers than Arky. UCLA was better for him because of access to world-class medical facilities, which I doubt are very good in Fayetteville.

I'm not cherry-picking anything. That suggests I am taking your quotes out of context. I didn't. You said UCLA was a better football job than Arky. Now you're the one changing your own words to fit your own narrative.

Btw - I don't mean attitude like an unruly teenager. I mean attitude like a predisposition towards a certain viewpoint. In this case, the attitude is that Arky sucks. And I think that is a defense mechanism in reaction to the rumors about our beloved LHCGMFP being in commo with Arky.

BSUFAN9999

I think many of you under-estimate that he is happy where he is doing what he is doing....much like Patterson is.

Underestimate his ability to accomplish his goals at your own risk.

FrogSwagSurfin

I think
I think many of you under-estimate that he is happy where he is doing what he is doing....much like Patterson is.

Underestimate his ability to accomplish his goals at your own risk.

I think we all understand that, every school with an open position assumes GP would leave TCU if they ask and give a raise. But Boise's conference/BCS situation would sway any coach to reconsideration a different school. If the shoe was reversed we would understand if GP left for the chance to win a national title.

BSUFAN9999

I think

I think we all understand that, every school with an open position assumes GP would leave TCU if they ask and give a raise. But Boise's conference/BCS situation would sway any coach to reconsideration a different school. If the shoe was reversed we would understand if GP left for the chance to win a national title.

It may sway some, but not necessarily all. Being happy and staying that way is under appreciated by most in our culture -especially after you are earning more than you can spend.

During these times, Petersen's son is usually brought up because every school has a world class medical center that can take care of the 'special needs' son. Sam has been in remission from his cancer for many years and requires no special treatment. I imagine having a child that fights and beats cancer changes your perspective on what really matters in life.