• The KillerFrogs

Capital Campaign Update

gdu

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Jun 22 2010, 03:25 PM) [snapback]585939[/snapback]
If we're talking about contributions based on contingencies out of our control, shame on us if we have counted and reported those toward our progress.

I am talking about things in some degree of our control (conference affiliation, ooc games, etc...)

halfwaytoheaven

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Jun 22 2010, 11:02 AM) [snapback]585804[/snapback]
right now, I am worried about the stadium

I'm not too concerned. If we can get this much money for academics, which while critical isn't always the most titillating of causes, we shouldn't have too much of a struggle getting a few individuals to open their checkbooks for something as alluring as a football stadium. Hopefully they are simply waiting for baseball season to end to say anything; it's not like much about this has been publicized, and there isn't any reason to change that now.

But way to go on the capital campaign, TCU. Our endowment may be above where it was before everything went South a couple of years ago.

steelfrog

Tier 1
QUOTE(halfwaytoheaven @ Jun 22 2010, 08:37 PM) [snapback]585947[/snapback]
I'm not too concerned. If we can get this much money for academics, which while critical isn't always the most titillating of causes, we shouldn't have too much of a struggle getting a few individuals to open their checkbooks for something as alluring as a football stadium. Hopefully they are simply waiting for baseball season to end to say anything; it's not like much about this has been publicized, and there isn't any reason to change that now.

But way to go on the capital campaign, TCU. Our endowment may be above where it was before everything went South a couple of years ago.

You can't overlook the fact that this $267mm was raised 2 YEARS ahead of schedule, in a asscrap of an economy. Kind of amazing really, and where in the damn hell is all thgis money coming from, and why can't Steel get some?

HG73

QUOTE(steelfrog @ Jun 22 2010, 04:28 PM) [snapback]585981[/snapback]
You can't overlook the fact that this $267mm was raised 2 YEARS ahead of schedule, in a asscrap of an economy. Kind of amazing really, and where in the damn hell is all thgis money coming from, and why can't Steel get some?

Absolutely, couldn't agree more. Amazing in this economy. Will have to impress bigger conferences.

Planks

QUOTE(toad horny @ Jun 22 2010, 10:58 AM) [snapback]585798[/snapback]
Dear Colleagues,

However, we cannot rest on these accomplishments. As the campaign has progressed, additional challenges and opportunities have arisen. For example, the need for new scholarship funds has grown significantly. The Campaign Scholarship Initiative has raised more than $60 million of its $100 million goal. Now, we must maintain our momentum to reach or exceed this goal, as well as raise additional funds for academic programs, renovation of Amon G. Carter Stadium and other important initiatives.

Victor Boschini

I think we should have our scholarship goals a lot more than $100 million. Scholarships are absolutely the number one thing TCU has to due in order to gain higher achieving students and improve their academic profile. 100 million dollars is a lot of money, but we could be doing better. SMU's Scholarship initiative goal is set at 700 million dollars. Our scholarship goals should be more in that range.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(steelfrog @ Jun 22 2010, 04:26 PM) [snapback]585979[/snapback]
Kind of embarasshed for the Prez--isn't it "an historic", as opposed to "a historic"?

No.

A Hispanic male.

A historic moment.

He lives in a house.

The batter recorded a hit.

steelfrog

Tier 1
QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jun 22 2010, 09:46 PM) [snapback]585992[/snapback]
No.

A Hispanic male.

A historic moment.

He lives in a house.

The batter recorded a hit.

Shows how little you know, Son. I wouldn't expect much better, English being your third language.

Hispanic and historic have soft "h"s, there fore, "an." Hit and house have hard "h"s, there fore "a."

Here endeth the lesson.

QUOTE(steelfrog @ Jun 22 2010, 05:53 PM) [snapback]585994[/snapback]
Shows how little you know, Son. I wouldn't expect much better, English being your third language.

Hispanic and historic have soft "h"s, there fore, "an." Hit and house have hard "h"s, there fore "a."

Here endeth the lesson.

I hate it when pretentious asshats use "an" before "historic". Makes you sound like a jerk whose face I'd like to break. I suppose you're used to that.

QUOTE(steelfrog @ Jun 22 2010, 04:53 PM) [snapback]585994[/snapback]

Here endeth the lesson.

Unfortunately, the lesson is incorrect. The h in historic would have to be silent in order for an to be correct.

Your "soft" and "hard" h's are all pronounced the same.

An is used before words that begin with a vowel sound unless the vowel is pronounced with the sound of a consonant.

example: A once in a lifetime opportunity (w sound for once); A university of stud muffins (y sound for university)

There is no exception for the h in historic. H is a consonant with a consonant sound, so "A historic achievement" is correct.

Get Your Frogs Up

QUOTE(steelfrog @ Jun 22 2010, 04:28 PM) [snapback]585981[/snapback]

Isn't it "an asscrap"? [I would insert a smiley face emoticon here if I didn't hate them so much].

halfwaytoheaven

According to "The Elements of Grammar," the indefinite article a is used before a sounded h, all other consonants, and a long u; the indefinite article an is used before a silent h, a short u, and all other vowels. So, "a historic event," but "an honorary degree."

Filling

Recovered Workaholic
QUOTE(halfwaytoheaven @ Jun 22 2010, 05:36 PM) [snapback]586021[/snapback]
According to "The Elements of Grammar," the indefinite article a is used before a sounded h, all other consonants, and a long u; the indefinite article an is used before a silent h, a short u, and all other vowels. So, "a historic event," but "an honorary degree."

We're giving grammar lessons to a group of folks who don't know the difference between lose and loose?

:biggrin:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(steelfrog @ Jun 22 2010, 04:53 PM) [snapback]585994[/snapback]

Here endeth the lesson.

wow ... you graduated?

PH2006062501036.jpg

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(steelfrog @ Jun 22 2010, 06:18 PM) [snapback]586036[/snapback]
Graduated what?

Huh?

There endeth the lesson ...

ShadowFrog

Moderators
QUOTE(forgottenera @ Jun 22 2010, 02:37 PM) [snapback]585908[/snapback]
don't worry I'll bet they start construction right after the armed forces bowl..they've got money in hand...

Respectfully disagree - I think the wrecking ball swings @ Midnight 13 Nov after our last home game. They won't even bother to clean ACS that night. Then bring in the Extreme Home Makeover crew to haul it away.
:ph34r:

PurplePutt

Were Birkshire Hathaway and Warren Buffett among the donors? Seems like we might have a special place in his heart or (better yet) pocket book with BNSF and his other business interest in Fort Worth? Nice to hear he had a Frog shirt (or hat) on in Omaha the other night. Would be nice if he became our T Boone! Probably wishful thinking.

BABYFACE

QUOTE(PurplePutt @ Jun 22 2010, 08:52 PM) [snapback]586102[/snapback]
Were Birkshire Hathaway and Warren Buffett among the donors? Seems like we might have a special place in his heart or (better yet) pocket book with BNSF and his other business interest in Fort Worth? Nice to hear he had a Frog shirt (or hat) on in Omaha the other night. Would be nice if he became our T Boone! Probably wishful thinking.

If I had Warren Buffett's email address, we could all send him TCU updates and invite him down to the KFC luncheon at Pappa's Bugers. Come WB, you look good in purple. :biggrin: