• The KillerFrogs

Cam Newton bribe recording

gdu

I would assume (and this is only an assumption) that if Newton was ruled ineligible, that would mean that Auburn's wins this season would be vacated and Auburn would be ineligible to play in a bowl game. At that point, the BCS Title Game would then take the 3rd ranked team.

At least, that's what makes sense to me
I hope that's the case, but that would make too much sense.

joefrog91

I saw this on another site I frequent. So many conflicting reports.

Today, 10:18 AM
wareagle
World Traveler Join Date: Feb 2001

email from inside the AU AD

Quote:
The NCAA met with the Newton’s yesterday (and their lawyer) and they met with Chizik and Jacobs last night. Apparently Cecil Newton is not going to come out of this looking like a pillar of the community, but we’ll see. My understanding is that he didn’t do anything wrong, but there is an appearance issue.

As far as Auburn is concerned, look for the NCAA to completely exonerate Auburn from any problems. Newton should be cleared as well and will be eligible to play. There was a report on ITAT today that after the NCAA meeting last night Chizik was all smiles.

MSU and the SEC have a serious problem however, and it may not go away. The NCAA was really ticked about all the leaks from the SEC office, and apparently MSU was not as forthcoming with their reporting as may have been indicated. The relationship between MSU, Bond and Rogers is going to be a serious problem for them going forward though. Plus there may be an issue with MSU coaches doing a little creative recruiting. I’m not so sure about that though.

jack the frog

It is strangely quiet from Auburn and the Newtons.

Yep, gone from vehement denial to chirping birds as more facts come to light.

Is the FBI investigating this as I have heard some say?
If so, you would think that would be the end of the lying and cover-up for anyone with any brains.

P

PurpleDaze

[quote name='angelo's frog' timestamp='1289579902' post='688255']
Anyone think Cam will play tomorrow? I think not, but who knows what Auburn will do. They may go Alamo on this one.
[/quote]
Similar to Pascal's Wager, what does Chizik have to lose by playing him?

No Newton = Loss

Play Newton = Win (with possible sanctions later)

Newton Plays!

TCUFrogs

Brent Musburger just said on Sportscenter that "the price of a top recruit has gone up" and that "it has always gone on". He said he is sad for Cam Newton.

Goo

Well if there is no Cam Newton recuting story.
And there is no MisstSt booster named Bill Bell
And he doesn't live in Destin, FL.
And the bribe amount isn't $180,00.
And there is no recodring of father, Cecil Newton
...... I guess FrogDaddy, ftwfrog, TopFrog, LeapFrog are right and the only smoke is the smoke coming out of Goo's [Deleted].

From ESPN, even has Goo's 3 payment shedule....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5818428

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2010/11/18/are-cam-newton-and-auburn-in-the-clear-not-so-fast-my-friend/?cxntfid=blogs_mark_bradley_blog

HFrog1999

Careful Goo, someone may want to know where you got your information.

fbi_raid.jpg

Goo

Just called and got details. Bill in Destin, Florida is MissSt donor and has phone recording of Cam Newtons dad saying Auburn agreed to pay $200k but he would go to Miss for only $180. Very detailed conversation about method of payment and 3 installments of $60, first before signing and second on signing. Said he gave tape to NCAA last week after story started breaking. Already had death threats from Auburn fans.

It will be interesting to see how/if this develops. The SEC is pretty good about hiding this kind of stuff q

9 days later, ESPN breaks story...

Bell: Texts set Cam Newton payments

Bill Bell, a Mississippi State booster and former player at the school, told the NCAA he received a text message from a man claiming to represent Cam Newton's father that outlined a payment plan designed to bring the quarterback to the Bulldogs.

Mark Schlabach, Chris Low and Pat Forde cover college football for ESPN.com.

Just for everyone's info never ever speak with a federal agent of any kind without an attorney present and take your fifth amendment rights. If you say anything that can't be proved or disproved they have you for a felony lying to federal agent which is most of the time worse than what you were accused of in the first place. They are not your friend they are not trying to help you ever keep your mouth shut.

bcsbuster

9 days later, ESPN breaks story...

Bell: Texts set Cam Newton payments

Bill Bell, a Mississippi State booster and former player at the school, told the NCAA he received a text message from a man claiming to represent Cam Newton's father that outlined a payment plan designed to bring the quarterback to the Bulldogs.

Mark Schlabach, Chris Low and Pat Forde cover college football for ESPN.com.

I am naming my first child after you. Is Goo a boys or girls name ?