• The KillerFrogs

Cable TV Alternatives

These options are great short term. I caution everyone here, as cfb fans, that our revenues are based on the cable model. This major shift way from cable endangers that revenue stream. IMO, this "pay only for what you want" model will create a huge advantage for the UT's, tOSU's of the world. TCU will not thrive in that model.

Zubaz

In my opinion, DVR today is where iPods were 5-10 years ago. It's a dead technology that doesn't know it's dead yet. Frankly, its already almost entirely useless outside of sports. The future isn't DVR, it's same-day streaming, and you don't need cable for that.

cdsfrog

In my opinion, DVR today is where iPods were 5-10 years ago. It's a dead technology that doesn't know it's dead yet. Frankly, its already almost entirely useless outside of sports. The future isn't DVR, it's same-day streaming, and you don't need cable for that.

Playstation vue type streaming can be very usual but yes traditional DVR seems almost useless

talor

I disagree. DVR allows me to watch shows I like without having to wait through commercials. Some of the streaming services still have commercials.

I'd pay more money for only channels I want with no commercials...

Zubaz

I disagree. DVR allows me to watch shows I like without having to wait through commercials. Some of the streaming services still have commercials.

There are streaming options available that are commercial free for just about every show out there. Not so much legal options right now, but that'll catch up just as iTunes did for Napster. I'd suggest that in the future you'll see legitimate commercial free streaming, with embedded ads (think banners down at the bottom) rather than commercial breaks.

f_399

A lot of these online streaming services require a subscription to cable/satellite to access.

When the sum of all these "a la carte" streaming services comes out cheaper then a cable/satellite bill, that's when I will switch over.

I use apple's router and had pretty good experience with it. Best router I have had. Wired is still better if that is an option. Our house is only wired to one room, where the wifi router is.

GSR - you make some valid points. The current quality and ease of use of Charter (my current provider) is great.

The problem is really in the bundling of what I consider useless channels in with the ones I'd prefer. the bundle price reflects those extra channels, which I never watch. Not bundling or type bundling would be a better idea. The alternate choices are PS Vue, etc., which seem to offer better bundles for my desires.

The traditional cable industry is losing customers , and therefore money, because of this bundling. The answer is out there, some "brave" cable company just needs to make it work.

Big cable will be offering bundles by type any minute now.

It'll look something like this:

Base service: $20
Local Channels: $15
Sports: $30
Reality: $15
H&G: $15
Entertainment: $15

You have to choose base, but then you add as needed... And, you will have the option for delivery of the product... Direct fiber (cable), internet stream, mobile, etc.

Most of the KF.c community probably know this but just in case you don't. You can write off the cost of your internet and computers, if you itemize your deductions and if you do any financial work on your computer and over your internet. Such as email your accountant, check your portfolio, check your bank account or any other financial activity. This also applies to doing your taxes, or sending information about your taxes to an advisor, or bank.

While I am on the topic of taxes. You know the giant safe you bought to keep all of your firearms locked away? Well if you have a safe and you keep important financial records in that safe it can be written off on your taxes. Like I said in the beginning of this post, most of you probably know this already, but ask your tax advisor.

Of course, everyone here also knows the difference between,

"You could take this deduction..."

and

"You should take this deduction..."

netty2424

You have to choose base, but then you add as needed... And, you will have the option for delivery of the product... Direct fiber (cable), internet stream, mobile, etc.
Sign me up. This is how it should be.

ifrog

Companies like SlingTV forced their hand. Why couldn't they offer these ala carte options before consumers started leaving? Because they are greedy.

PHSFROG09

Suggestions for wireless routers? Until I can get my connection better I cant cut the cord. Thinking of just running cable and hard wiring the tv.

I currently have the Netgear Orbi and it's awesome! If you have a whole house your trying to cover wirelessly I'd highly recommend it. I have 100 Mbps and I consistently get 80-100 wirelessly throughout my house. Also very easy to set up and has many useful features (setting up guest network, parental controls). Let me know if you have any questions about it.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/orbi/?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

f_399

I currently have the Netgear Orbi and it's awesome! If you have a whole house your trying to cover wirelessly I'd highly recommend it. I have 100 Mbps and I consistently get 80-100 wirelessly throughout my house. Also very easy to set up and has many useful features (setting up guest network, parental controls). Let me know if you have any questions about it.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/orbi/?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Quick question on super high speed internet, is it really worth it?

We get 15-20 mbps with no real issues, got about 4 users/devices + roku, apple tv, amazon tv, smart tv...

French Frog

Thanks a ton great information. Why doesn't a cable company or web t.v. company just offer a price for each channel separately? If you pick the one's you like then just pay for those? Offer a fee for converter, DVR, Storage, On Demand, etc. Let the marketplace decide which channels suck and no one wants. I hate paying for channels I don't need or want to watch. Hell I hate having to scroll through them all to find what I want to watch. Who is the problem forcing bundles down our throats?
I'm with you brother. That is why after having DirecTV since 1998, I changed everything.

PHSFROG09

We get 15-20 mbps with no real issues, got about 4 users/devices + roku, apple tv, amazon tv, smart tv...

Im honestly not the most educated person on this topic so others might be able to provide a better answer, but I feel like going from something like 5 Mbps to 15 Mbps would be much more noticeable then going from your 20 Mbps to 100 Mbps. You probably wouldnt notice much of a difference to be honest. I got 100 Mbps because its the only option for me on spectrum and its only like $45 per month.

ifrog

It depends. If you have a 100% fiber connection, you could easily double your download speed and your streaming would improve considerably. With that said, plans like the AT&T GigaPower (1Gbps) are overkill unless you are running a business from home. For one you will never see that speed on a speed test, and more importantly there aren't many services on the web that could push 1 Gbps of data back to the end user. In my opinion, 40-50 Mbps with 100% fiber is the sweet spot. If you have no real issues with 15-20 Mbps, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Last edited:

Vue with a Firestick or Fire TV is a game-changer. With 5 quick clicks of a button I'm 2.5 minutes ahead. Most breaks are 2.5 or 3. With DVR you're trying to time it right and my last DTV remotes kept getting stuck. With FTV I'm through commercials in 10 seconds.

Companies like SlingTV forced their hand. Why couldn't they offer these ala carte options before consumers started leaving? Because they are greedy.

Yep, they are greedy. Name 1 Fortune 500 company that isn't.

But, a more specific answer would be that their carriage contracts with content providers expressly prohibited them from selling a channel as part of a single channel plan, interest plan, or skinny plan. Only recently have cable operators started seeking freedom to place channels in different places, and only recently have content providers allowed for an "all-the-above" strategy when it comes to distributing their content.

Shrinkage in the industry shook everybody all at once. Change and innovation has come fast (by cable standards), and will make things better for everybody.

Latest posts