• The KillerFrogs

Boise State FB Equipment Truck Hits Cow

bcsbuster

I used to go to Idaho in the late 80's and it was an open range state. Driving the rural areas, there were cows everywhere. if you killed one , you were repsonsible. Crazy State, crazy law.

frogbyproxy

I honestly didn't know Boise had truck driving courses but they do! :biggrin: http://www.jobsintrucks.com/Driver-Schools/Idaho/

Yep i kin learn a degree in truck driven at Boise St. Yee haa! :tongue:

Frog DJ

Yeah on 6, between Bremond and Calvert. It was pitch dark besides my head lights, black cow that was just barely in the road (I think). I never even saw the sucker. Got a concussion (I think) because I had trouble stopping/figuring out what had just happened...was also sore all over for the next week. My car was destroyed on the passengers side.
I was going a little over 70 I think.

I was driving home to Fort Worth from Houston, and of course Calvert is just about the halfway point. The truck who pulled up (thankfully) immediately behind me, called the police and the tow truck. They were all asking where I was from and it took me a while to say anything besides "my dogs are fine, I'm 2 1/2 hours away"

Very scary.

Living in Houston and making frequent trips to Fort Worth for athletic events I've traveled that stretch of Highway Six hundreds of times.

Night driving can be very treacherous on that road, but the thought of hitting a head of cattle had never occurred to me until I read your story.

I'll be thinking about that when winging my way home tomorrow night, thanks to your experience. I'm very glad you're okay!

Go Frogs!

ShadowFrog

Moderators
It's better to hit a cow than a horse! Cow you will get a lot of damage and may survive but a horse is taller which goes through the windshield! See three wrecks with horses only one survived but had brain damage.

Here's a me too.

Winter '90. I'm 3 months into my first war. A very young, green Lieutenant @ King Fahd International Airport. Vehicle Operations Officer. Standing in line for chow. Radio goes off. We gotta report of a Security Forces truck hit a camel. Camel is down. 2 sky cops are medical evac'd. Both had their seat belts on. I respond out to the scene. Every blinkin' blue light in the eastern province is out there. Finally, local Saudi cop says (in broken English) - we are done. You! Remove camel now! Blocking road!! Now, NOW!!

Then I see it's not one but two camels our SP truck hit, #1 first, then #2 continuing in same direct path of the truck. Seems to have hit #1 camel, went over the hood then airborne, then hit #2 who did the same. Now I got 2 dead, leaky, stinkin camels on the road to be removed. Not exactly in the USAF Transporter Officers Handbook. I call for an AT forklift. Who's in dispatch right now? Wrangler, HamBone, Geezer...and Little Bit (real names weren't allowed over the net). I say get Little Bit on our fastest AT out to our position now. She arrives 20 minutes later. She's all of 21, 95 pounds drippin wet. We tell her to pick up that dead camel on the road & toss'm over on the side, maybe 15 feet - tops. She freaks. Refuses to do so. I have to order her. She drops the tines & is inching up to it 6 inches at a time while turning her head & saying EEeewwwww every 10 seconds. Fifteen minutes later she very gingerly drops the dead, leaky, steenkin camel gently on the side of the road. Then she drops down the ladder & refuses to do it again for camel #2. Instead, Red (my Tech Sergeant extraordinaire) jumps up the AT ladder, straps in, backs up, drops the tines, rev's the motor, drops the clutch & rams the tines home under dead camel #2, rev's the engine again, raises the tines, leans it back, guns the AT forward, slams the breaks on & camel #2 is airborne on top of camel #1 ... all in about 10 seconds. Took longer to write it then to see it done. Now THAT'S a Transporter.

NubomTurk

Tier 1
I've been ruminating over this incident for awhile, and I think people are milking the whole story. The idea of Boise not being able to find a better driver is tripe. I mean, couldn't the driver steer? Or just blow his horn? It looks like the truck just t-boned that poor cow.

This incident won't help BSU's brand. It cud hurt it a lot, and to make matters worse, the truck repairs could cost a lot of bred. I hope they tipped the cleanup crew.

Ah... time for another pain pill.

frogbyproxy

Here's a me too.

Winter '90. I'm 3 months into my first war. A very young, green Lieutenant @ King Fahd International Airport. Vehicle Operations Officer. Standing in line for chow. Radio goes off. We gotta report of a Security Forces truck hit a camel. Camel is down. 2 sky cops are medical evac'd. Both had their seat belts on. I respond out to the scene. Every blinkin' blue light in the eastern province is out there. Finally, local Saudi cop says (in broken English) - we are done. You! Remove camel now! Blocking road!! Now, NOW!!

Then I see it's not one but two camels our SP truck hit, #1 first, then #2 continuing in same direct path of the truck. Seems to have hit #1 camel, went over the hood then airborne, then hit #2 who did the same. Now I got 2 dead, leaky, stinkin camels on the road to be removed. Not exactly in the USAF Transporter Officers Handbook. I call for an AT forklift. Who's in dispatch right now? Wrangler, HamBone, Geezer...and Little Bit (real names weren't allowed over the net). I say get Little Bit on our fastest AT out to our position now. She arrives 20 minutes later. She's all of 21, 95 pounds drippin wet. We tell her to pick up that dead camel on the road & toss'm over on the side, maybe 15 feet - tops. She freaks. Refuses to do so. I have to order her. She drops the tines & is inching up to it 6 inches at a time while turning her head & saying EEeewwwww every 10 seconds. Fifteen minutes later she very gingerly drops the dead, leaky, steenkin camel gently on the side of the road. Then she drops down the ladder & refuses to do it again for camel #2. Instead, Red (my Tech Sergeant extraordinaire) jumps up the AT ladder, straps in, backs up, drops the tines, rev's the motor, drops the clutch & rams the tines home under dead camel #2, rev's the engine again, raises the tines, leans it back, guns the AT forward, slams the breaks on & camel #2 is airborne on top of camel #1 ... all in about 10 seconds. Took longer to write it then to see it done. Now THAT'S a Transporter.

Sorry I may not stop laughing until game time! :biggrin: Very good story and glad it ended as it did! I was afraid you were going to say on the second one "He lifted it quick and hit the gas and everything spilled out on him". I've helped drag, pull and lift a few animals and it has happened to me! Talk about a mess you will never forget! :tongue:

NubomTurk

Tier 1
Here's a me too.

Sounds like you had some turban-powered forklifts there...

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Sorry I may not stop laughing until game time! :biggrin: Very good story and glad it ended as it did! I was afraid you were going to say on the second one "He lifted it quick and hit the gas and everything spilled out on him". I've helped drag, pull and lift a few animals and it has happened to me! Talk about a mess you will never forget! :tongue:

...oh there was spillage, trust me.

frogbyproxy

I've been ruminating over this incident for awhile, and I think people are milking the whole story. The idea of Boise not being able to find a better driver is tripe. I mean, couldn't the driver steer? Or just blow his horn? It looks like the truck just t-boned that poor cow.

This incident won't help BSU's brand. It cud hurt it a lot, and to make matters worse, the truck repairs could cost a lot of bred. I hope they tipped the cleanup crew.

Newbomb are you Uterly out of it? Not sure if we are milking it because it looked bullish to me! :tongue:

As far as truck damage it all depends if it got the cab framing. I'm thinking around $5,000 just for the hood. Then radiator and fan at least. Let's just say the cost of his beef is probably going to hit $30 a pound. :biggrin:

Double V

There it is...finally! I am, however, very surprised you haven't jumped all over the post about hitting a horse being more deadly than hitting a cow. I mean, here we are with a Boise truck smeared with blood, guts, and [Craig James] and a reference to smashing horses and you just let that go?

Those pills must be good!

Double V

I've seen the damage on a lot of vehicles and i learned one thing! It's better to hit a cow than a horse! Cow you will get a lot of damage and may survive but a horse is taller which goes through the windshield! See three wrecks with horses only one survived but had brain damage.

Newbomb, what say ye about the prospect of a Boise equipment truck hitting a horse?....can you IMAGINE the carnage?!

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I hope you saw her dripping wet. Share photos please. It has been a tough two days.

Hmm, no pics but this is closest match - BYODW (Bring Your Own Dripping Wet). Sleep well, your US Air Force is protecting you tonight:

AF%20Ammo%20Troop.jpg