• The KillerFrogs

Bizarre NCAA basketball news

Eight

I wonder which Big 12 programs may be impacted by this. Assuming any ramifications come forth.

okie state had an assistant actually named who was terminated and if we are talking guilt by association you have this"

"Kansas coach Bill Self had come to know James Gatto well over the years, along with just about everyone else involved with the college basketball side of the athletic apparel giant Adidas.

It comes with the territory as one of the company’s flagship schools.

But when Self first heard that Gatto had been swept up in a wide-ranging FBI investigation, centered on Louisville but uncovering corruption elsewhere in college basketball, the Jayhawks’ coach admitted being “very disappointed and disheartened” and likened it to a “dark cloud for our profession.”"

if you do some digging you won't have to use too big a shovel to find some folks in lawrence a bit nervous about what may be found about some of their past recruiting classes. big key though is some of those sins might have taken place outside the ncaa's statute of limitations which means nothing more than a "tarnished" image for ku and self.

oh the horror

flyfishingfrog

if you do some digging you won't have to use too big a shovel to find some folks in lawrence a bit nervous about what may be found about some of their past recruiting classes. big key though is some of those sins might have taken place outside the ncaa's statute of limitations which means nothing more than a "tarnished" image for ku and self.

oh the horror

no idea what the end goal is - but the FBI is not investigating on behalf of or for the benefit of the NCAA - so if Self or anyone else gets named in the FBI charges - it will be for criminal activity, not NCAA sanctions

netty2424

For the lawyers here, the article reads "Sitting under protective order right now are the fruits of 330 days of monitoring activity by the feds,...."

What exactly does protective order mean? Is this similar to a gag order where no one can talk about it? If so, how would some of this specific information like half of the teams listed in the NCAA 16 may be vacating wins and it might reach 50 teams, be getting out to the public?

Peacefrog

Degenerate
For the lawyers here, the article reads "Sitting under protective order right now are the fruits of 330 days of monitoring activity by the feds,...."

What exactly does protective order mean? Is this similar to a gag order where no one can talk about it? If so, how would some of this specific information like half of the teams listed in the NCAA 16 may be vacating wins and it might reach 50 teams, be getting out to the public?
giphy.gif

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA

I assume it is like a gag order. I know it's not the same protective order our clients sometimes deal with. Which, btw, don't ever rely solely on one of those - it's just a piece of paper and won't stop an obsessed person from showing up at your house. The "just a piece of paper" may apply here too. Not all courthouses are leakproof.

Disclaimer - I am in legal field but not an attorney.

netty2424

I assume it is like a gag order. I know it's not the same protective order our clients sometimes deal with. Which, btw, don't ever rely solely on one of those - it's just a piece of paper and won't stop an obsessed person from showing up at your house. The "just a piece of paper" may apply here too. Not all courthouses are leakproof.

I kind of assumed this was the case regarding a leak. Just a little surprised given it being a federal case with FBI involved. Seems like they would have it locked down. They were seemingly able to investigate this for 330 days and no mention of it until indictments came down.

Maybe they're leaking info intentionally.

Thanks, was just curious if that order was similar to a gag order.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!

Protective orders are enforced by a court. Restraining orders can be enforced by law enforcement.