• The KillerFrogs

[big steaming pile] favors moving Rangers to Dallas!

Klaw said:
Arlington is honestly the worst place to put a stadium. No mass transit and it sucks driving there.

I think it should be moved to the former reunion arena property. Easy access by Dart and TRE and the majority of the metro area lives on the Dallas side.

The AA has done well because of this.

Tarrant county just doesn't deserve it

What have they done to not deserve it?  

I've never used TRE or Dart to get to the AAC.  I realize there are some who use it but what are the specific numbers?  

The population figures are changing.  Fort Worth and Tarrant County are growing by leaps and bounds.  Parker County is one of the fast grown counties in America.  360 expansion has already begun.  Ellis County is growing as is Johnson.  Both have tons of room.  In 10-15 years Arlington will be smack in the middle of the population density, the same as it was when the Rangers came to town in '72.

Frozen Frog said:
There are several problems with building the new stadium in Arlington.  It is a pain to get to Arlington.  There is no mass transit, and the traffic is horrible.  There are also not large groups of people directly around the stadium from which to draw.  The business community in Arlington isn't able to properly support the stadium.  These issues lead to a lack of a walk up crowd.  With stadium being an hour away from many fans it forces many fans to take nearly a full day off from work to attend day games.

Building it in one of the two downtown areas allows for the stadium to take advantage of those areas.  There is already a large group of people in the area that can walk up to games.  The mass transit system allows those who are not in the immediate are to find alternate ways to get to games.  People who choose to drive to games can take advantage of the hub and spoke freeway systems.  Afternoon games become less of an issue as people are already in the area for work.  It allows people to take half days or even return to work after the game.

First off, who in the hell returns to work after a day game???

Traffic isn't that bad in Arlington.  Getting out is a pain but getting there usually isn't bad.  You should see how they're able to funnel people out after a Cowboys game.  Again, once 360 is fixed it won't be nearly as bad.

Business community???  It's a simple fact, if you're winning, people will come.  It's not like the Mavs and the Stars who desperately rely on corporations to buy their high-dollar seats and suites.  The Rangers are doing fine in attendance.  What hurts them more than anything is the heat.  

Frozen Frog said:

Dallas traffic can be horrid, but I will take it over Arlington.  The biggest traffic issues in Dallas are largely a result of some of the newer suburbs fighting mass transit.  They are afraid of becoming low income commuter suburbs.  Frisco and Allen are the biggest ones fighting it.

For one, a trip on the Dart rail from Plano to Dallas is about an hour.  You add a handful of stops all the way to Allen and it turns into an hour and a half.  Then how many more minutes to get to their house?  I'm sorry, but people aren't going to sit on a train for 3-3.5 hours to get to downtown.  

Of course they're fighting it.  How can they grow and attract the kind of demographics they want if all their residents are fighting Dallas traffic or sitting on trains for 3 hours a day?  Have you been up there lately?  There's corporations left and right.  Work, live, play.

Big Frog II

Downtown Fort Worth would be great perhaps in the new Trinity River/Panther Island development.  Regardless, Arlington has the tax money available.  It is centrally located, and it is safe.  What they do need is commuter rail taking advantage of the tracks running down Division.

ScottPatrick

Klaw said:
Arlington is honestly the worst place to put a stadium. No mass transit and it sucks driving there.

I think it should be moved to the former reunion arena property. Easy access by Dart and TRE and the majority of the metro area lives on the Dallas side.

The AA has done well because of this.

Tarrant county just doesn't deserve it
Okay Mr Hunt

JugbandFrog

Frozen Frog said:
There are several problems with building the new stadium in Arlington.  It is a pain to get to Arlington.  There is no mass transit, and the traffic is horrible.  There are also not large groups of people directly around the stadium from which to draw.  The business community in Arlington isn't able to properly support the stadium.  These issues lead to a lack of a walk up crowd.  With stadium being an hour away from many fans it forces many fans to take nearly a full day off from work to attend day games.

Building it in one of the two downtown areas allows for the stadium to take advantage of those areas.  There is already a large group of people in the area that can walk up to games.  The mass transit system allows those who are not in the immediate are to find alternate ways to get to games.  People who choose to drive to games can take advantage of the hub and spoke freeway systems.  Afternoon games become less of an issue as people are already in the area for work.  It allows people to take half days or even return to work after the game.
When I worked in San Francisco, my favorite days we're Wednesdays as the big wigs would give up the tix for the day games fairly often. I'd go in early in Wednesday, get a bunch of work done and wait for the secretary to email me asking if I wanted the tix.

The stadium was a 5 minute bus ride from the office. Super easy.

Pharm Frog

jugbandfrog said:
When I worked in San Francisco, my favorite days we're Wednesdays as the big wigs would give up the tix for the day games fairly often. I'd go in early in Wednesday, get a bunch of work done and wait for the secretary to email me asking if I wanted the tix.

Nothing better than get-away-day IMO. Did you devour the garlic fries?

Pharm Frog

jugbandfrog said:
I was in love with this one nacho stand on the third base side. Best stadium nachos ever.

One of my favorite ballparks to take in a game (or were you referring to Candlestick)? FWIW-I kinda liked Candlestick as well but mainly because I felt superior to MLB players trying to catch "routine" pop-ups.

Pharm Frog

Maybe they should think about taking the Rangers to Calgary or Montreal (I hear that there's a stadium in Montreal ready and willing).

JugbandFrog

Pharm Frog said:

One of my favorite ballparks to take in a game (or were you referring to Candlestick)? FWIW-I kinda liked Candlestick as well but mainly because I felt superior to MLB players trying to catch "routine" pop-ups.
Too young for Candlestick.

It does get insanely cold at night. I remember one time they gave me the club seats for the night Bonds was chasing Hank Aron's HR record. I spent most of the game inside The club area's bar.