• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion Thread

flyfishingfrog

TX_Krötenechse said:
Honestly after today if we expand, UH is in. As much as I feel we shouldn't water down the conference with another Texas team, they probably played their way in today.
Why do people continue to think that how good a team currently plays is anywhere close to the top of the list of decision criteria?

CoogHigh has 8 NO VOTES.

Not getting in....

flyfishingfrog

Big12Frog said:
Tired of hearing the same lame arguments that tcu got when we wanted in.
Ok, here is reality

If OSU or KSU or any non-Texas school had left instead of A&M, then we would not have gotten in because no conference needs 5 Texas schools

So unless one of Texas schools leave, UH won't get the votes.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Horny4TCU said:

Why didn't TCU get an invite to the Big 12 in 2005? 
Cuz no one cared about us then either, especially after losing to SMU the next week. That was my point.

Oh, and the fact that there was no expansion talk then...

82 Frog Fever

It's geography, Houston will not get in unless a Texas school (#DumpBaylor) leaves.

Otherwise, Cincy and FL. schools bring footprint expansion, fertile recruiting grounds, and some new TV viewers. BYU brings footprint expansion and millions of new TV viewers.

Houston provides additional recruiting pressures, no footprint expansion, and dozens of new TV viewers.

Pharm Frog

My opinion -- the only reason TCU is in the B12 is because opportunity and desperation. Same thing for WVU. It mattered of course that TCU was prepared for the opportunity and in a preferred location but preparation/deserving was only a differentiator among expansion candidates. If UH, UCONN, BYU, Cincy, or anyone for that matter gets an invitation, it will almost nothing to do with "deserving" it regardless of who beats who this year or last. This conference really messed up by not retaining UN, Mizzou, CU, and Ag. I do not believe it will ever recover as long as "conferences" exist as associations in college athletics.

TX_Krötenechse

flyfishingfrog said:
Why do people continue to think that how good a team currently plays is anywhere close to the top of the list of decision criteria?

CoogHigh has 8 NO VOTES.

Not getting in....
According to one unconfirmed rumor, there were 8 no-votes. Nobody knows the truth.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Houston in the conference. I don't want them to do well this season and make a playoff argument. But like it or not, the focus is on B12 expansion and they performed big time when the spotlight was on them.

Pharm Frog

TX_Krötenechse said:
According to one unconfirmed rumor, there were 8 no-votes. Nobody knows the truth.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Houston in the conference. I don't want them to do well this season and make a playoff argument. But like it or not, the focus is on B12 expansion and they performed big time when the spotlight was on them.
The rumor out of OK is that they are "closer to 8 no votes than to 8 yes votes". Berry Tramel I think

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
During a Saturday news conference at Boone Pickens Stadium, Oklahoma State donor T. Boone Pickens identified Houston and SMU as his favorite candidates for Big 12 Conference expansion.

“If I had my choices, the two I would prefer would be Houston and SMU,” Pickens said. “I’d rather take a Texas team over BYU and Cincinnati. I’m an Oklahoma guy living in Texas. You know that. But I’ve lived in Texas longer than I have in Oklahoma. I do live in Dallas, and I have a granddaughter on the equestrian team at SMU. My daughter graduated from SMU.

“(SMU President) Gerald Turner called me and (asked) if I would support him (with Big 12 officials). I said, ‘Sure.’ SMU is going to have (quality) football again. They’re going to be like TCU. TCU got serious, and SMU is going to do the same thing. BYU – do you know what it costs to send our teams out there? It’s a long way. BYU is a great school, but I’d rather have SMU than BYU.”

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/bill-haisten-t-boone-pickens-picks-for-big-expansion-houston/article_445d5902-322c-53c2-a5b1-e0183b099343.html

Pharm Frog

geezer said:
During a Saturday news conference at Boone Pickens Stadium, Oklahoma State donor T. Boone Pickens identified Houston and SMU as his favorite candidates for Big 12 Conference expansion.

If I had my choices, the two I would prefer would be Houston and SMU, Pickens said. Id rather take a Texas team over BYU and Cincinnati. Im an Oklahoma guy living in Texas. You know that. But Ive lived in Texas longer than I have in Oklahoma. I do live in Dallas, and I have a granddaughter on the equestrian team at SMU. My daughter graduated from SMU.

(SMU President) Gerald Turner called me and (asked) if I would support him (with Big 12 officials). I said, Sure. SMU is going to have (quality) football again. Theyre going to be like TCU. TCU got serious, and SMU is going to do the same thing. BYU do you know what it costs to send our teams out there? Its a long way. BYU is a great school, but Id rather have SMU than BYU.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/bill-haisten-t-boone-pickens-picks-for-big-expansion-houston/article_445d5902-322c-53c2-a5b1-e0183b099343.html
Shouldn't he be out selling water? T Boone Culliigan

HoustonVeer

Houston-OU did a 12.8 TV rating locally, and a 4.0 nationally.

To put that in perspective:

1.  12.8 is the highest opening weekend rating for the Houston market.  Ever.

2.  12.8 is 50% higher than A&M-Bama in 2015 at 8.5.  That game was the top rated game all regular season in the Houston market.

3.  4.0 nationally is higher than any Big 12 regular season game in 2015.  Compare OU-Baylor at 3.8 and Texas-OU at 3.3

Anyone who says Houston doesn't care about UH, or that UH cannot help the Big 12 recapture the Houston market from the SEC, is just ignorant.

LVH

HoustonVeer said:

2.  12.8 is 50% higher than A&M-Bama in 2015 at 8.5.  That game was the top rated game all regular season in the Houston market.

3.  4.0 nationally is higher than any Big 12 regular season game in 2015.  Compare OU-Baylor at 3.8 and Texas-OU at 3.3

Anyone who says Houston doesn't care about UH, or that UH cannot help the Big 12 recapture the Houston market from the SEC, is just ignorant.

Still not getting in

DeuceBoogieNights

HoustonVeer said:

Your team just had a solid win. Why are you on our board? We have nothing to do with this. TCU isn't in Houston. Go to your own board. Or an Oklahoma board. Go anywhere but go away.

P

purplePPO

DeuceBoogieNights said:
Your team just had a solid win. Why are you on our board? We have nothing to do with this. TCU isn't in Houston. Go to your own board. Or an Oklahoma board. Go anywhere but go away.

I agree! TCU has no bearing alone if Houston gets in the Big 12. Why keep trying to convince us? Go away!!