• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Channel

SuperTFrog

it pisses me off there is no big 12 channel. I am sitting here watching the MLS US Open Cup Final because there is nothing on. I would easily watch some random big 12 sporting event right now. I may be in the minority but I would support big 12 sports all the time if I had the chance to watch.

PurpleBlood87

As CDC has said would you rather your games be on the Big 12 Network which would be some 600-somehtug station on Directv or have your games on one of the ESPN Networks?

Chongo94

it pisses me off there is no big 12 channel. I am sitting here watching the MLS US Open Cup Final because there is nothing on. I would easily watch some random big 12 sporting event right now. I may be in the minority but I would support big 12 sports all the time if I had the chance to watch.

Good game tonight btw.

Why don't the teams not making huge tier 3 money join together and make a network backed by espn like sec.

HToady

As CDC has said would you rather your games be on the Big 12 Network which would be some 600-somehtug station on Directv or have your games on one of the ESPN Networks?
Right. None of our games are broadcast on Fox which is all up in 600.

As for me, I rather our games were broadcast at 2:30 or 7pm, without commercials dictating the flow of the game. 200 is right close to 600, if you can handle a remote.

Brog

It was really great, wasn't it, to have the SMU/TCU game on "one of the ESPN Networks,," ESPNu, Saturday afternoon, and have it blacked out for the entire DFW area.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Would lead to a lot more baseball on tv and a lot less FrogVision

If memory serves, FrogVision is dead at the end of this calendar year. Or, at least, the current spotty, miserable, worthless version of it produced by CBS with whom said contract expires in a few months. (I'm certain someone more knowledgeable will chime in on this...)

With current tech, TCU can produce in-house a far better product and is planning to look into a number of different options for broadcasting next year.

netty2424

If memory serves, FrogVision is dead at the end of this calendar year. Or, at least, the current spotty, miserable, worthless version of it produced by CBS with whom said contract expires in a few months. (I'm certain someone more knowledgeable will chime in on this...)

With current tech, TCU can produce in-house a far better product and is planning to look into a number of different options for broadcasting next year.
Frog Vision has been dead for years!

InstaFrog

I thought the FV production (number of cameras, replay, etc) and stream quality this year was greatly improved from the last couple years, but then again the bar was pretty low. In comparison to what ESPN does for B10, SEC, ACC, etc, its amateur hour.

Anyone know what the plan is for the future if CBS CSL is no longer involved?

MAcFroggy

One of the major issues is how the big 12 has structured its first and second tier rights. Each school only has one football game and 4-5 basketball games a year to include in a third tier rights package.

We make a lot of money from ESPN/Fox for our TV rights, but with the high payout we were forced to give up almost all of our content. With only ten teams and so few games available as third tier rights, it is almost impossible to envision a big 12 network. The larger conferences are almost forced to create conference networks because if they did not then a lot of their games would not end up on TV at all. 11 out of 12 games for every big 12 team is on network TV, ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, or FS2. Nearly every game is already on a national channel.

All of TCUs conference basketball games (except one) is on one of the ESPN channels. I think the same is true for almost every single Big 12 team. There really is no need for a conference network when all of those games are already being shown nationally on ESPN family of networks. Yes, there is non-conference season, but most schools have monetized those in some way.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to watch volleyball, softball, baseball, etc on a conference network, but that is not worth a lot of money in the long run. MBB, football, and WBB to an extent are the sports the networks are willing to pay for. The conference networks exist to have a place for remaining football, MBB, and WBB games to be shown on TV. The other sports are just filler content. The big 12 has already sold most of those games in tier 1 and tier 2 rights agreements.

Last edited:

Dogfrog

FV is cheap to subscribe but the quality is low and it is likely less than profitable. I have a hard time understanding why TCU doesn't understand that the real value of FV to TCU is in the community PR. Improve the quality and offer it for free. People who are currently not TCU fans are unlikely to subscribe at any price. Offer it for free to grow public awareness of our product in the community and increase ticket demand. Add FV to the contribution list for priority points to fund it. I know he's dead but ask yourself what would Tex Schramm do?