• The KillerFrogs

Appreciating the Work of an Artist

W

Way of the Frog

man-on-fire-a-man-can-be-an-artist-in-anything-food-whatever-it-depe

We have known for quite a long time that Gary Patterson is an artist and his art is defense.

It has been debated as to where the 2017 Frogs defensive unit ranks in regards to the other 17 defenses he has overseen at TCU. I am not smart enough to come up with some eloquent argument making a case for one unit over another nor have the analytical skills to set up the formulas to accurately compare the numbers yielded for each season.

I am far too simple minded and fall back on the tired cliche' of appreciating the beauty each season brings in its unique way. Friday provides the last chance at home to enjoy the work of the maestro and the players that make up the 2017 TCU defense. When you near the top of a climb and you are starting to get tired it sometimes is helpful to look back at what you have already achieved on the way up.

TCU has face 5 offenses this year that are ranked in the Top 20 in the Nation in Total Offense and 4 offenses ranked in the Top 20 in Scoring Offense in the Nation (7 of the Nation's Top 50 Scoring Offenses). There have been some tough moments such as the OU game, but consider these numbers.

TCU is #14 in Total Defense
#3 in Rushing Defense
#7 in Scoring Defense
#2 in Red Zone Defense
#18 in Opponents 1st Downs
#10 in Opponents 3rd Down Conversion Percentage
T for #5 in Defensive TD's
#14 in Sacks
#35 in TFL's

What is even more amazing than those total season number are the Frogs defensive rankings for Big 12. I realize some will immediately talk about how bad the Kansas and Texas (actually not as bad as some believe) offenses are, but isn't the rep of the Big 12 the conference in which NO ONE PLAYS DEFENSE? If you compare the Frogs numbers yielded for the season and just Big 12 there is negligible differences.

Here are the Frogs' defensive rankings in Big 12 play:

TCU is #1 in Rushing Defense ( 2.7 ypc and 90.5 ypg are Big 12 lows)
#2 in Passing Defense
#1 in Pass Defense Efficiency ( 52.9% completion rate and 6.9 ypa are Big 12 lows)
#1 in Total Defense ( 4.8 ypp and 327.8 ypg are Big 12 lows)
#1 in Scoring Defense
#1 in Team Sack (Boesen is #1 in sacks by a player in B12 play)
#1 in Opponents 1st Downs
#1 in Opponents 3rd Down Conversion Percentage
#1 in Red Zone Defense (63% success rate and 19 red zone trips are Big 12 lows)
#4 in Team TFL's

What makes this even more remarkable is aside from the Texas staff every other team in the Big 12 has seen a Gary Patterson defense before and we all have read/heard the stories of certain coaches talking on a regular basis on how to beat the Frogs' defense.

The Frogs 2017 is coming to a close and there is still some big work to be down by this team and the coaches. A win against Baylor means facing OU again and a chance at redemption or possibly another black eye. A double digit win total means a difficult bowl opponents. All things that could take some of the luster off this season OR.........provide the perfect way to wrap a ribbon on a great year.

Either which way I am looking forward to Friday morning to watch the defensive artist that is Gary Patterson and this 2017 unit do a little more work on this year's masterpiece.

Tom Brown

man-on-fire-a-man-can-be-an-artist-in-anything-food-whatever-it-depe

We have known for quite a long time that Gary Patterson is an artist and his art is defense.

It has been debated as to where the 2017 Frogs defensive unit ranks in regards to the other 17 defenses he has overseen at TCU. I am not smart enough to come up with some eloquent argument making a case for one unit over another nor have the analytical skills to set up the formulas to accurately compare the numbers yielded for each season.

I am far too simple minded and fall back on the tired cliche' of appreciating the beauty each season brings in its unique way. Friday provides the last chance at home to enjoy the work of the maestro and the players that make up the 2017 TCU defense. When you near the top of a climb and you are starting to get tired it sometimes is helpful to look back at what you have already achieved on the way up.

TCU has face 5 offenses this year that are ranked in the Top 20 in the Nation in Total Offense and 4 offenses ranked in the Top 20 in Scoring Offense in the Nation (7 of the Nation's Top 50 Scoring Offenses). There have been some tough moments such as the OU game, but consider these numbers.

TCU is #14 in Total Defense
#3 in Rushing Defense
#7 in Scoring Defense
#2 in Red Zone Defense
#18 in Opponents 1st Downs
#10 in Opponents 3rd Down Conversion Percentage
T for #5 in Defensive TD's
#14 in Sacks
#35 in TFL's

What is even more amazing than those total season number are the Frogs defensive rankings for Big 12. I realize some will immediately talk about how bad the Kansas and Texas (actually not as bad as some believe) offenses are, but isn't the rep of the Big 12 the conference in which NO ONE PLAYS DEFENSE? If you compare the Frogs numbers yielded for the season and just Big 12 there is negligible differences.

Here are the Frogs' defensive rankings in Big 12 play:

TCU is #1 in Rushing Defense ( 2.7 ypc and 90.5 ypg are Big 12 lows)
#2 in Passing Defense
#1 in Pass Defense Efficiency ( 52.9% completion rate and 6.9 ypa are Big 12 lows)
#1 in Total Defense ( 4.8 ypp and 327.8 ypg are Big 12 lows)
#1 in Scoring Defense
#1 in Team Sack (Boesen is #1 in sacks by a player in B12 play)
#1 in Opponents 1st Downs
#1 in Opponents 3rd Down Conversion Percentage
#1 in Red Zone Defense (63% success rate and 19 red zone trips are Big 12 lows)
#4 in Team TFL's

What makes this even more remarkable is aside from the Texas staff every other team in the Big 12 has seen a Gary Patterson defense before and we all have read/heard the stories of certain coaches talking on a regular basis on how to beat the Frogs' defense.

The Frogs 2017 is coming to a close and there is still some big work to be down by this team and the coaches. A win against Baylor means facing OU again and a chance at redemption or possibly another black eye. A double digit win total means a difficult bowl opponents. All things that could take some of the luster off this season OR.........provide the perfect way to wrap a ribbon on a great year.

Either which way I am looking forward to Friday morning to watch the defensive artist that is Gary Patterson and this 2017 unit do a little more work on this year's masterpiece.

Send this to Rob Stone under the title, best house in the neighborhood.

Pharm Frog

Send this to Rob Stone under the title, best house in the neighborhood.
Yah pretty shippy comment by that [ Orgeron ].

Okay....Who is Rob Stone? I asked the same about this Max Kellerman fella and got a sarcastic reply that he was a rapper. So I look up Rob Stone and find out that he may actually be a rapper. I assume that he's a shill for ESPN or FOX or some other channel.

EDIT: And can we maybe get an edit in the title to "of"? When I think of work "on an artist" I get this:

Kat-Von-D-.jpg

netty2424

Okay....Who is Rob Stone? I asked the same about this Max Kellerman fella and got a sarcastic reply that he was a rapper. So I look up Rob Stone and find out that he may actually be a rapper. I assume that he's a shill for ESPN or FOX or some other channel.

EDIT: And can we maybe get an edit in the title to "of"? When I think of work "on an artist" I get this:

Kat-Von-D-.jpg
Fox commentator. Made the joke that TCUs defense is like buying the nicest house in a bad neighborhood followed by a good laugh from the panel.

EDIT https://g.co/kgs/W18VKC

Tom Brown

Ok Rob Stone is in the in studio host and sometimes play by play guy for football, but is most known for soccer.

Max Kellerman is a boxing expert turned studio analyst of all sports, and yes he was a rapper in his younger days.

Pharm Frog

Takeaway -- boxing and soccer analysts commenting on college football. Perhaps this explains one reason why I pretty much stick to watching the games (or listening to them on SXM). I actually have enjoyed listening to games on SXM radio and hearing the different styles of school's broadcast teams).I even thought about turning off the TV volume and catching the last 7m of that KSU v Okie Lite game on the radio. I'm sure that both booths would have been entertaining in their own rights.

Purp

Kat-Von-D-.jpg
Ok Rob Stone is in the in studio host and sometimes play by play guy for football, but is most known for soccer.

Max Kellerman is a boxing expert turned studio analyst of all sports, and yes he was a rapper in his younger days.
Tom Brown is right. I've always liked Rob Stone b/c I thought he did a great job covering soccer. Fox has decided that he should become their version of Chris Fowler who covers multiple sports. Honestly, I think it's well earned b/c I think he's just as good. IMO, he just made an ignorant joke this time.

Tom Brown

Tom Brown is right. I've always liked Rob Stone b/c I thought he did a great job covering soccer. Fox has decided that he should become their version of Chris Fowler who covers multiple sports. Honestly, I think it's well earned b/c I think he's just as good. IMO, he just made an ignorant joke this time.

This is correct

Pharm Frog

Chris Fowler is someone with whom I am familiar and if the inspiration/aspiration is to be like Chris Fowler, I suggest another benchmark. But I get what y'all are saying now.

PO Frog

Rob Stone will forever be a hero for his ghost chili segment he did for ESPN during a NM game.

Edit: link for your convenience

W

Way of the Frog

3t-with-stone-and-lalas-e1466458831377.jpg

Rob Stone grew up in Connecticut with Sean Pendergast whose claim to fame is he went from being a "legend" on the Jim Rome show to becoming a radio guy in Houston.

Stone and Pendergast proudly acknowledge when they were growing up they would pretend to be wrestlers and the name of their tag team was the "Panasonic Fart Boys".

Yes, once again life gives us something so much better than we could actually make up.

Pharm Frog

You don't like Fowler? He's great, and College Gameday is much worse without him.

Nope. Generally don't like sports round table hosts of any sort. Just cannot over the idea that they are there to set the stage for a produced script. And I cannot disagree that College Gameday is worse without him but I watch so rarely that it really doesn't matter. Basically I think its a tired format.