• The KillerFrogs

Any live coverage of B12 media days?

CountryFrog

Infallible? No, not at all, but I also don't think they're a bunch of idiots who only want to see certain teams in the field. It's a impossible job they have keeping everyone happy so they're going to labeled idiots no matter what they do.
I mostly agree with this, but calling their job "impossible" is a stretch because keeping everyone happy is NOT their job in the first place. And when you drop a team from 3 to 6 in the very last ranking after they just won a game by 52 points then you are inviting the criticism.

It's a thankless job for sure though.

OmniscienceFrog

That's the point though. If OU was 11-1 in 2014, with a loss to 5-7 Texas, they almost assuredly would have been left out as well in favor of 12-1 Ohio State, for the same reason that we were left out.
I'm calling BS on that one. If OU had been 10-1 going into the last weekend of the season ranked #3 in the CFP poll, and won 55-3, they would not have been dropped out of the top 4, and certainly not dropped to #6.

Some of you people are so hung up on being "objective", so as not to be accused of not being in the majority, you will try to sell anything.

Wexahu

Why? Because you think they were one of the four best teams on the field that year, or because you are one of the sheep that were going simply by their record and what they had done the previous year, which had nothing to do with the current season?

Just like all that claim the committee was right in picking Ohio St based on what happened in the playoffs, I know they were wrong in picking Florida St. based on what happened in the playoffs. It was no surprise.

It's really not that complicated. Knowing that the best teams don't always win every game all the time, they probably aren't going to have the four "best teams" in the field all the time. I get that, because wins and losses have to matter. Do I think Washington was one of the four best teams this past year? No, but I still think they should've been in the playoffs. And there's no doubt in my mind that Ohio State was one of the best four teams in 2015 (that team was absolutely loaded with elite talent and it was probably the "best" team they've had in 10 years) but they didn't get in either despite going 11-1 because they happened to lose at the last second to Michigan State in a game they didn't play well in and their schedule was such that they didn't have enough opportunities for good wins, similar to TCU and Baylor in 2014.. That's ok because that's how the system works.

As for FSU, when you have a team that is the only undefeated team in the country from a P5 conference that played Florida and Notre Dame in OOC not make a 4-team playoff based on some reasoning that they weren't one of the four best, then the whole system breaks down. I can't believe any reasonable minded person doesn't understand that. If TCU happened to be Florida State that year and didn't get invited I am 100% sure every TCU fan would be absolutely livid, and rightly so.

SuperTFrog

2) B1G champion Penn State got left out in favor of Washington, yet we're supposed to believe that blue-blood bias trumps all.

Penn St had two losses and Washington had 1. You can't compare those. You know who else got left out last year? 3-9 Michigan St.

If you don't think there is a bias towards bigger college football programs, you have not been watching football for very long. Unfortunately, it is a necesaary evil. If Western Michigan and South Florida would have played in the title game it would have been a train wreck for the sport financially. We all need the blue bloods because it is their rabid fan bases that ink the massive TV deals.

CountryFrog

It's really not that complicated. Knowing that the best teams don't always win every game all the time, they probably aren't going to have the four "best teams" in the field all the time. I get that, because wins and losses have to matter. Do I think Washington was one of the four best teams this past year? No, but I still think they should've been in the playoffs. And there's no doubt in my mind that Ohio State was one of the best four teams in 2015 (that team was absolutely loaded with elite talent and it was probably the "best" team they've had in 10 years) but they didn't get in either despite going 11-1 because they happened to lose at the last second to Michigan State in a game they didn't play well in and their schedule was such that they didn't have enough opportunities for good wins, similar to TCU and Baylor in 2014.. That's ok because that's how the system works.

As for FSU, when you have a team that is the only undefeated team in the country from a P5 conference that played Florida and Notre Dame in OOC not make a 4-team playoff based on some reasoning that they weren't one of the four best, then the whole system breaks down. I can't believe any reasonable minded person doesn't understand that. If TCU happened to be Florida State that year and didn't get invited I am 100% sure every TCU fan would be absolutely livid, and rightly so.
If FSU happened to be TCU that year and was dropped from 3 to 6 in the very last ranking after a 52 point win and didn't get invited I am 100% sure every FSU fan would be absolutely livid, and rightfully so.

Wexahu

I mostly agree with this, but calling their job "impossible" is a stretch because keeping everyone happy is NOT their job in the first place. And when you drop a team from 3 to 6 in the very last ranking after they just won a game by 52 points then you are inviting the criticism.

It's a thankless job for sure though.

Would it have made you feel better if they had said FSU, Baylor, TCU, and Ohio State were all tied for 3rd going into that last weekend? Because that's basically what they had said, that the margin between those teams was very thin. But they had to rank them 3, 4, 5, and 6, that's just the way it works One beat a 2-9 Iowa State team by 52 points at home, one team (that was unbeaten) beat a 10-2 Georgia Tech team by 2 at a neutral site, one team beat a 9-2 Kansas State team at home by 11 points, and one team beat a 10-2 Wisconsin team by 59 points at a neutral site. I think it's pretty reasonable to think that those outcomes could cause a shakeup in the rankings.

I knew we were screwed the night of those games, not because of any bias, but because everything played out exactly how we couldn't afford it to. Much like Ohio State in 2015, we didn't have a chance to show anything the last week of the season and everyone else did, and they did.

CountryFrog

Would it have made you feel better if they had said FSU, Baylor, TCU, and Ohio State were all tied for 3rd going into that last weekend? Because that's basically what they had said, that the margin between those teams was very thin. But they had to rank them 3, 4, 5, and 6, that's just the way it works One beat a 2-9 Iowa State team by 52 points at home, one team (that was unbeaten) beat a 10-2 Georgia Tech team by 2 at a neutral site, one team beat a 9-2 Kansas State team at home by 11 points, and one team beat a 10-2 Wisconsin team by 59 points at a neutral site. I think it's pretty reasonable to think that those outcomes could cause a shakeup in the rankings.

I knew we were screwed the night of those games, not because of any bias, but because everything played out exactly how we couldn't afford it to. Much like Ohio State in 2015, we didn't have a chance to show anything the last week of the season and everyone else did, and they did.
I'm not going to argue with you about 2014. You're not bringing any new information and there is basically no one on here who agrees with you. I'm sure the Ohio St fan boards will embrace your views with open arms though if that's what you're looking for.

OmniscienceFrog

True, but realistically speaking any ranking prior to the final ranking is just a television show anyway.
Correct, because this committee that they purport watches all the games and is supposed to determine the best teams based on what they see on the field, just goes by the statistics they see on paper, like the BCS did. This committee is nothing more than a clown show.

Virginia Frog

"Last year that last spot came down to 3 Big 10 schools. When everything was factored in, who you play, where you play, margin of victory, etc....the one they picked was the one that clearly had the best resume of the three."

The playoff slots (for my money) need to go to Conference CHAMPIONS. The award of the '16 slot to tOSU was unfair to the other Big10ers.

The only decision that "the committee" should have is which of the 5 conferences to exclude (screw) that season. They have too much latitude to pick the "best four teams" which is a bit of a hoax. It'll never be really fair with the choice structure that exists currently. (The teams that did it ON THE FIELD should prevail, IMO)

Last edited:

f_399

Why? Because you think they were one of the four best teams on the field that year, or because you are one of the sheep that were going simply by their record and what they had done the previous year, which had nothing to do with the current season?

Just like all that claim the committee was right in picking Ohio St based on what happened in the playoffs, I know they were wrong in picking Florida St. based on what happened in the playoffs. It was no surprise.

I concur

Wexahu

"Last year that last spot came down to 3 Big 10 schools. When everything was factored in, who you play, where you play, margin of victory, etc....the one they picked was the one that clearly had the best resume of the three."

The playoff slots (for my money) need to go to Conference CHAMPIONS. The award of the '16 slot to tOSU was unfair to the other Big10ers.

The only decision that "the committee" should have is which of the 5 conferences to exclude (screw) that season. They have too much latitude to pick the "best four teams" which is a bit of a hoax. It'll never be really fair with the choice structure that exists currently. (The teams that did it ON THE FIELD should prevail, IMO)

As has been explained before, limiting it to conference champions in a 4 team field isn't an option. Would relegate all OOC to basically meaningless exhibition games. OSU beat Big 12 champ OU by 3 touchdowns in Norman last year, that game has to be factored in when comparing their resume to Penn State and Michigan.

LeagueCityFrog

A couple observations from Big XII media day....

1. Matt Rhule of Baylor shares how he knew the other two new coaches in the Big XII well. He said he looks forward to learning from Mike Gundy. He said he was awestruck when he met Bill Snyder in Scottsdale. Not one mention of Gary Patterson or TCU. Is he potentially scared what's about to happen this coming Black Friday and doesn't want to even mention the Purple Kings of the North? (Game of Thrones reference, which looks to be in the background of our football team advertising this coming season which looks awesome so far.)

2. A lot of focus, for obvious reasons, on OU and Okie State and some on KSU.

3. Both Gary and Kenny said the team is ready to go right now and more running plays earlier in games planned. Thank God. It also took Brett Favre one good hit to calm his pregame adrenaline down. Maybe Kenny Hill is similar. He sure played better in the back half of OU and Arky under those conditions.

4. I liked all the new commercials the Big XII ran. I hope the conference puts out the rules for being deamed the #2 team before the championship game. There was the Michael Crabtree Texas Tech year where 3 teams in the Big XII all had the same final record and I think Tech got the shaft that year. I may be wrong.

5. This seems like another season where we will kick people in the teeth again regardless home or away. We are nationally preseason #15 and not much hype within our own conference. Under the radar again. Just saying. We were small, young, and self inflicting at times last year and were in every game but K-State and Okie State.