• The KillerFrogs

Amid four-team uproar, CFP director Bill Hancock says eight-team playoff 'not in the cards'

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Its-Not-A-Playoff.gif

Pharm Frog

Except if everyone on this board was asked 5 years ago who the blue blood programs were, not one would have mentioned Clemson, and they’ve been in 3 of the 4.

Are you just determined to be wrong?

You mentioned 5 years ago so let's just go with that.

11-2
11-2
10-3
14-1
14-1
12-2 (current year)

Before that Clemson wasn't all that great in its overall record but every single person on here would have labeled Clemson football as a blue blood (which is why people on this very board were over-the-moon about beating them at their place in '09). Your insinuation would imply that none of us would think of Notre Dame as a blue blood, or Texas, or UCLA, or Penn State, or Michigan, or Georgia, or Tennessee, or Nebraska (all of which are most definitely blue bloods).

TooColdU

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rojans-lead-list-college-football-blue-bloods

According to this E$PN article, Clemson isn't a "blue blood" but they are ranked as the 17th most historic program (just below Auburn and right above Michigan State). This is from 2016, so I'm sure those 12 ESPN writers would move them up a bit since their 2017 championship.

Out of a possible 16 slots since the "playoffs" have begun, 8 of them have been filled with blue bloods. The lowest ranked school to make the playoffs, according to the article I posted, has been Washington at #23.

Pharm Frog

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rojans-lead-list-college-football-blue-bloods

According to this E$PN article, Clemson isn't a "blue blood" but they are ranked as the 17th most historic program (just below Auburn and right above Michigan State). This is from 2016, so I'm sure those 12 ESPN writers would move them up a bit since their 2017 championship.

Out of a possible 16 slots since the "playoffs" have begun, 8 of them have been filled with blue bloods. The lowest ranked school to make the playoffs, according to the article I posted, has been Washington at #23.

Noteworthy is that those authors allow for only 8 blue blood programs.

Casey T

Are you just determined to be wrong?

You mentioned 5 years ago so let's just go with that.

11-2
11-2
10-3
14-1
14-1
12-2 (current year)

Before that Clemson wasn't all that great in its overall record but every single person on here would have labeled Clemson football as a blue blood (which is why people on this very board were over-the-moon about beating them at their place in '09). Your insinuation would imply that none of us would think of Notre Dame as a blue blood, or Texas, or UCLA, or Penn State, or Michigan, or Georgia, or Tennessee, or Nebraska (all of which are most definitely blue bloods).

I don't think anyone would have considered Clemson a blue blood in 2014. I still don't think of them as a blue blood today and many others don't either

GoFrog Yourself

I don't think anyone would have considered Clemson a blue blood in 2014. I still don't think of them as a blue blood today and many others don't either
Until the last three seasons, only thing I remember about Clemson was that Bowden’s son (Tommy?) coached there for a bit and they called their game with Florida state the Bowden bowl

And I knew their uniform combos from playing as them on NCAA Football. Always thought orange and purple was strange

Pharm Frog

Well not if you subscribe to the theory that there's only a handful of blue bloods. But finishing in the Top 25 21 times since their national championship year of 1981 (and will finish there again this year) seems a bit blue bloodish to me. I grew up watching them play year after year after year in the Gator Bowl, the Peach Bowl, the Citrus Bowl, and others. Granted they were overshadowed by the emergence of Florida State once they found their way to the ACC but I think being rated the #17 program in college football history (prior to this year and last) says quite a bit. Hell...there's plenty of young-in's who don't even know that Nebraska and Arkansas even played good football.

The one thing that makes their blue blood status suspect in my eyes is that they were sanctioned and put on probation for recruiting violations during the 1980's.

Wexahu

Well not if you subscribe to the theory that there's only a handful of blue bloods. But finishing in the Top 25 21 times since their national championship year of 1981 (and will finish there again this year) seems a bit blue bloodish to me. I grew up watching them play year after year after year in the Gator Bowl, the Peach Bowl, the Citrus Bowl, and others. Granted they were overshadowed by the emergence of Florida State once they found their way to the ACC but I think being rated the #17 program in college football history (prior to this year and last) says quite a bit. Hell...there's plenty of young-in's who don't even know that Nebraska and Arkansas even played good football.

The one thing that makes their blue blood status suspect in my eyes is that they were sanctioned and put on probation for recruiting violations during the 1980's.

IMO the true without a doubt blue bloods are:
USC
Oklahoma
Texas
Ohio State
Michigan
Penn State
Nebraska (and soon to fall into the 2nd tier unless they start having some success)
Alabama
Notre Dame

with high honorable mention going to:
LSU
Florida State
Florida
Georgia
Tennessee

I think Clemson falls somewhere in the group below these. If you're going to cast the net so wide that programs like UCLA, Michigan State, Washington and Arkansas are considered college football blue bloods, the odds of there being 4 "blue bloods" in the playoffs is going to be extremely high each year, but that doesn't mean the playoffs are all about their inclusion.