• The KillerFrogs

All the media wants Texas to be good

One Frog Nation

All the media desperately wants Texas to be back. They played USC hard but how good is USC really. They struggled with Western Michigan and Texas and beat Stanford easily but Stanford lost to San Diego State last night. Texas is 1-2 and will lose to OSU, OU, TCU and probably KState. 6-6 is the best they can hope for. But it would not surprise me that they moved up to the top 25 after a great loss to mightly USC.

https://www.si.com/college-football...c-trojans-sam-darnold-sam-ehlinger-tom-herman

HeidelFrog

I love how in the post game interview the reporter asked the USC coach about the "legendary" two teams playing on this field today. Ugh, what? Legendary schools or programs, maybe? But teams, not even close. UT will probably finish outside of the top 25 and USC outside of the top 10. Also has been awhile since either of those programs have even been in the CFP discussion.

LSU Game Attendee

Mmmmm kolaches from Czech Stop.

---

OP, yes the media wants Texas to be one of the top teams in the country, but more so ESPN than the rest of the national media. Given the investment in the LHN ESPN will do everything it can to prop up the horns as a contender each and every week.
It's up to Sam Ehlinger to bail Disney out of its terrible investment decisions. That's a lot of pressure on a true freshman.

Bob Sugar

Welcome to Texas. Sorry about the heat. Try the kolaches in West.
Ha. Perfect response.
picard_clapping.gif.cf.gif

Paint It Purple

All the media desperately wants Texas to be back. They played USC hard but how good is USC really. They struggled with Western Michigan and Texas and beat Stanford easily but Stanford lost to San Diego State last night. Texas is 1-2 and will lose to OSU, OU, TCU and probably KState. 6-6 is the best they can hope for. But it would not surprise me that they moved up to the top 25 after a great loss to mightly USC.

https://www.si.com/college-football...c-trojans-sam-darnold-sam-ehlinger-tom-herman
The media is no more desperate for Texas to win than our own Kf.Com posters. (See separate thread proclaiming whorn triumph) Apparently we are all UT sycophants.

Nick Danger

I fully support a corollary to that, which is we all want the Horns to be perceived as good but not really! Beating a Texas team that everyone thinks is back is more beneficial than beating one that isn't!

netty2424

Curious to see how highly ranked they are today. Probably the biggest jump we'll see all season for any team. And it's a loss.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
Curious to see how highly ranked they are today. Probably the biggest jump we'll see all season for any team. And it's a loss.
Shouldn't they be like, #5 because they JUST BARELY lost to #4 on the road? Wait, they should rank above USC because the game was on the road, yeah! (Texas logic)

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
See Notre Dame.

UT and Notre Dame game get more press for being mediocre than anyone. Regardless what Wexosu says, the media has its darlings. Neither of which would have been dropped from 3 to 6 without a championship game (and no, I will never let that one go)...

Froglaw

Old story.

Family event in east Texas on Sunday. Conversation turns to college football.

Nice family that I like who made me feel welcomed.

Our host has Longhorn stuff all over his house and outside patio.

I figured he went there or had a family connection.

At lunch I ask the group of Longhorn fans when they all graduated from ut.

Answer: None - "We're just fans".

I'll never get it.

I just don't understand ut's attraction to Tshirt fans. Texas is not Arkansas or Nebraska.

Last edited:

Tshirt Fan

Old story.

Family event in east Texas on Sunday. Conversation turns to college football.

Nice family that I like who made me feel welcomed.

Our host has Longhorn stuff all over his house and outside patio.

I figured he went there or had a family connection.

At lunch I ask the group of Longhorn fans when they all graduated from ut.

Answer: None - "We're just fans".

I'll never get it.

I just don't understand ut's attraction to Tshirt fans. Texas is not Arkansas or Nebraska.

Thank you for the opportunity to share my profound knowledge and expertise on this topic.

School attendance is where it's at, not win-loss records.
Affordable t-shirt selection is a huge deal-maker.
Notice that t-shirt sales skyrocket when Texas is 5-7?
But at the end of the day,

Texas is the national team of Texas.

HeidelFrog

Schools need as many "t-shirt" fans as possible, brings them a lot of money and support. That's were the brand is important. I know a lot of fans of schools, they started rooting for that school since they were 2 years old (UT fans). Watching every game as a kid up until they die. I know a lot of other people, actually a lot of TCU alumni who never really started to cheer for TCU until they went to school there. I think it's hard for TCU alumni to understand t-shirt fans because TCU has never really had them until recent years. Because the programs are winning now, getting tv exposure and improving the overall brand, TCU is having lots of kids growing up fans. A lot of the little bleacher creatures at the games and events won't go to TCU. When the time comes they may choose another option in life. Maybe another school offers them a scholarship that TCU didn't, they go to the military academy or take over the family business. But no matter what they remain TCU fans for life.

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I used to love busting Notre Dame fans when they go to this "we" business. If I knew where they went to school I'd always mention I didn't realize Ball State or Eastern Transylvania Tech played USC or who ever. Same with UT and all their Tarleton State, HBU fans (Piedras Negras Jr Hi grads).

Had annoying friend at TCU whose father was a former UT track guy (who was also Redford or Newan's stunt double in Butch Cassidy- you know who you are!) that was always shoving a hook'em sign in your face.

Wexahu

The game exposed Sam Darnold as a true pretender in the Heisman race. Compared to Jackson, Mayfield and Rudolph, he is a total spare. Should no longer be in the discussion, but will because, USC.

I wouldn't go that far, saying he is a "total spare". Man, it's amazing the knee jerk reactions people make over ONE game. He didn't have his best game for sure, but he still made some plays down the stretch that probably very few QBs make. Is any team that isn't TCU or player that isn't associated with TCU entitled to a bad game every now and then?

P

purplePPO

The media is no more desperate for Texas to win than our own Kf.Com posters. (See separate thread proclaiming whorn triumph) Apparently we are all UT sycophants.

I agree that most of us are not Longhorn fans but the sad truth is that in order for the B12 to be seen as relevant in the eyes of the U.S. college fan base, sports fans, coaches and newspaper columnist, UT and OU need to be good winning programs. That's just the cold, flat, blunt truth. The only exception of course is when they play TCU.