• The KillerFrogs

About handling the sun in Stillwater.

Limp Lizard

Looked at the satellite image. The stadium is a horseshoe with the open end to the East (they have a big athletic center on the East end,though). It runs almost exactly E-W. The sun should be virtually straight overhead at kickoff, so most of the game will be played with the sun being to the West. At first I thought that the team heading West would have the disadvantage. But then I thought, it's not that big an effect on the running game and the QB, who will be looking field level. The kick return teams facing West means the receiver will be looking up into the sun, so that may be anywhere from a small factor to a huge factor, depending on if any turnovers are caused by the sun.
But when the offense is heading East, on deep throws the receivers will be looking into the sun. OSU is used to that. How our receivers, and our DB's handle facing the sun could be a factor.
Am I looking at this correctly?

InstaFrog

Better get on the horn to Nike, STAT!
700f4a214c05b1372c08f107dbc24e54--big-eyelashes-feather-eyelashes.jpg

You're talking about that big yellow thing in the sky, right?

I thought we got rid of that on August 21. I watched it die!

And now you're saying it's back. Spooky!

Pharm Frog

Looked at the satellite image. The stadium is a horseshoe with the open end to the East (they have a big athletic center on the East end,though). It runs almost exactly E-W. The sun should be virtually straight overhead at kickoff, so most of the game will be played with the sun being to the West. At first I thought that the team heading West would have the disadvantage. But then I thought, it's not that big an effect on the running game and the QB, who will be looking field level. The kick return teams facing West means the receiver will be looking up into the sun, so that may be anywhere from a small factor to a huge factor, depending on if any turnovers are caused by the sun.
But when the offense is heading East, on deep throws the receivers will be looking into the sun. OSU is used to that. How our receivers, and our DB's handle facing the sun could be a factor.
Am I looking at this correctly?

It's only E-W after Daylight Savings Time ends

Lone Frog

Science disagrees
ClutteredOddGalapagossealion-max-1mb.gif
No it does not. Unless you're saying the irises of OSU players expand and contract more efficiently because most of their games are played on this field.

Sure, it's possible for your retinas to build up a tolerance to the sun's glare by staring at it for a long time. But mostly we call that blindness.