• The KillerFrogs

4 team playoff was implemented to keep more teams out, not let more teams in

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
1). Wisconsin did not lose their coach until after the game.

2). Arguing that a big win over a ranked team to win a conference title shouldn't count, but a win over one of the worst teams in college football that year to split a conference title should is a bit contradictory.

That’s true, but there was talk about it here in Indy before the game, so I’m guessing the team geard it too. Regardless, it is unprecedented to move someone down and promoting a team that lost to a mediocre VT. You and Wexosu can be contrarian all you want, but if we had been ND, Texas, OU, etc under the same circumstances, I am guessing they get in.

Zubaz

That’s true, but there was talk about it here in Indy before the game, so I’m guessing the team geard it too. Regardless, it is unprecedented to move someone down and promoting a team that lost to a mediocre VT.
Season isn't one game long, and we learned that bad losses can be overcome by good wins...which they've held to since.

You and Wexosu can be contrarian all you want, but if we had been ND, Texas, OU, etc under the same circumstances, I am guessing they get in.
Until that happens, there's no reason to believe it. We've seen Ohio State left out twice, Penn State left out as Big Ten Champion, USC left out as Pac12 champion, and OU left out as Big 12 Champion. Ohio State and Penn States exclusion in their respective years being particularly of note. Not indentical situations of course, but smaller brands have gotten in pretty regularly over big brands so that conspiracy theory doesn't really hold.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Ok, but I’ll just say there is no scenario, no matter what happens with any other teams or conferences, in which we go 12-1, undefeated in the Big 12, and win the B12 CCG in completely dominating fashion.....don’t make the playoffs, and we aren’t saying it wasn’t a total screw job and that everyone is out to get TCU. And that’s basically what we’re saying should have happened to OSU.

I’ll just put this scenario out. With your set of facts, Ohio State is 12-1 with CG, Alabama 12-1 with CG, Clemson 12-1 with a CG and USC is 12-1 with CG. I think there is an excellent chance the little guy gets it in the shirts again.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Season isn't one game long, and we learned that bad losses can be overcome by good wins...which they've held to since.

Until that happens, there's no reason to believe it. We've seen Ohio State left out twice, Penn State left out as Big Ten Champion, USC left out as Pac12 champion, and OU left out as Big 12 Champion. Ohio State and Penn States exclusion in their respective years being particularly of note. Not indentical situations of course, but smaller brands have gotten in pretty regularly over big brands so that conspiracy theory doesn't really hold.

No conspiracy, just a caste system that is very hard to break.

Zubaz

I’ll just put this scenario out. With your set of facts, Ohio State is 12-1 with CG, Alabama 12-1 with CG, Clemson 12-1 with a CG and USC is 12-1 with CG. I think there is an excellent chance the little guy gets it in the shirts again.
What's the respective schedules look like? OOC schedules? Who are the losses to? All of that matters.

Wexahu

Impossible to say. I would say if the little guy was also 12-1 with a CG and they had given one of those 4 teams their loss there’d be a VERY good chance we’d get in. As it stands, in most years we don’t schedule as well as those teams so it would normally be a uphill battle. USC, Clemson and Ohio State almost always schedule well and Bama usually plays one really good OOC opponent as well plus they get the SEC West which usually helps them as well. Note I said USUALLY. Next year when we get Ohio State that means 12-1 will for sure get it done but schedule Purdue, SMU and Southern and that makes it harder at 12-1 if being compared to other 12-1 Conference Champs.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Impossible to say. I would say if the little guy was also 12-1 with a CG and they had given one of those 4 teams their loss there’d be a VERY good chance we’d get in. As it stands, in most years we don’t schedule as well as those teams so it would normally be a uphill battle. USC, Clemson and Ohio State almost always schedule well and Bama usually plays one really good OOC opponent as well plus they get the SEC West which usually helps them as well. Note I said USUALLY. Next year when we get Ohio State that means 12-1 will for sure get it done but schedule Purdue, SMU and Southern and that makes it harder at 12-1 if being compared to other 12-1 Conference Champs.

I guess I should have added. “All things being equal”.

Wexahu

I guess I should have added. “All things being equal”.

But given the way we schedule, all things are rarely equal. Unless we change the way we look at scheduling, we’re gonna come up short in MOST cases when comparing schedules with USC, Florida State, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Clemson and some other heavyweights who quite honestly are more apt to beef up there OOC more than we are. So their 12-1 is USUALLY going to look better than our 12-1 on paper. Next year is the exception of course.

Case in point, in 2014 Ohio State played Va Tech as we all know but they also beat a 9-3 AAC champion Cincinnati by 22 points and a 7-5 Navy team by 17 points at a neutral site in OOC play. We played Minnesota at home, a 1-11 SMU team, and an FCS school.

tetonfrog

UCF's non conference schedule:

Georgia Tech cancelled due to weather
Maine cancelled due to weather
beat Maryland 38-10
beat Austen Peay 73-33

Only win vs a ranked team was over Memphis

They got a great win over Auburn today, but they should have played someone in he nonconference. Just terrible.

Big Frog II

Alabama and Clemson only play 8 conference games.

froginaustin

Why wouldn't you continue with bowls with an expanded playoff, just as they do today?

I suspect bowls would continue. Powerful groups like coaches will go to any bowl to get the extra practices. Big TV likes the programming. But if Big TV hypes the playoffs to the exclusion of the now “minor” bowls, all those bowls will be more like the Frisco Bowl than today’s Alamo or Liberty Bowl. I hope this scenario never happens, but I think it might if the 12 or 16 teams Big TV thinks are most commercial, are in a playoff.