• The KillerFrogs

4 team playoff was implemented to keep more teams out, not let more teams in

LVH

I firmly believe the BCS was scrapped in favor of the 4 team "playoff" because we got way too close to getting into the playoff in 2009/2010 and Boise State got way too close in 2011. We get in in 2009 if Alabama/Texas lose and we get in in 2010 if Auburn or Oregon lost.

But the 4 team playoff and committee surely would have blackballed us in 2009/2010 if it existed.

Playoff is meant to keep teams they don't want out with their supposed "unbiased committee" being the gatekeeper. Any team the powers that be don't want will be excluded.

I don't think UCF is a top 4 team, but it's [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] at the same time they don't get some kind of shot at it and they are proving it today. People say expanding to 8 would get them in, I still disagree, as long as their is an arbitrary committee giving out invitations with no qualifying criteria there would always be some justification for shutting out teams like UCF.

FCS does it right with autobids to conference champs.

Wexahu

I firmly believe the BCS was scrapped in favor of the 4 team "playoff" because we got way too close to getting into the playoff in 2009/2010 and Boise State got way too close in 2011. We get in in 2009 if Alabama/Texas lose and we get in in 2010 if Auburn or Oregon lost.

But the 4 team playoff and committee surely would have blackballed us in 2009/2010 if it existed.

Playoff is meant to keep teams they don't want out with their supposed "unbiased committee" being the gatekeeper. Any team the powers that be don't want will be excluded.

I don't think UCF is a top 4 team, but it's [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] at the same time they don't get some kind of shot at it and they are proving it today. People say expanding to 8 would get them in, I still disagree, as long as their is an arbitrary committee giving out invitations with no qualifying criteria there would always be some justification for shutting out teams like UCF.

FCS does it right with autobids to conference champs.

The first sentence of this was so dumb I stopped reading.

Wexahu

If you think that sentence was dumb, then you're as dumb and naïve as the board accuses you of being. I just didn't know why until now.

It was created because virtually everyone was begging for some kind of playoff, it became inevitable at some point, and they finally relented and came up with a compromise that would kind of protect the sacred bowl system (especially the Rose Bowl).

Zubaz

UCF didn't deserve a shot this year, but if they do it again next year and are again left out, it'll be a travesty.

82 Frog Fever

It was created because virtually everyone was begging for some kind of playoff, it became inevitable at some point, and they finally relented and came up with a compromise that would kind of protect the sacred bowl system (especially the Rose Bowl).

.......but the number 4, is such that it protects so called “Blue Blood” football schools. It allows for the dumbest excuses to be made in order to keep schools like TCU out.

Wexahu

.......but the number 4, is such that it protects so called “Blue Blood” football schools. It allows for the dumbest excuses to be made in order to keep schools like TCU out.

They haven’t come up with a dumb excuse to keep a school like TCU out yet, I’m not sure why you’d say that.

UCF didn’t deserve a playoff bid this year. If a school like that wants to get in, they are going to have to beat somebody (or maybe two somebodys) in OOC. And that’s the way it should be.

LVH

UCF didn't deserve a shot this year, but if they do it again next year and are again left out, it'll be a travesty.

I don't believe they were Top 4 either. While they went to overtime at home against the best teams on their schedule, our 2010 team went on the road and blew them out.

My issue is that 4 teams isn't enough.

Pharm Frog

Contender for the dumbest thing posted this year (admittedly early). If they didn’t deserve it this year, how on earth could they deserve it next year and what does next season have to do with this season? Four best two-season teams deserve the invite?