• The KillerFrogs

2018 Recruiting Thread

TCUWIN

Isn't he the first commit of the class? The one that walked in on his visit and said if you offer I'm committing on the spot? Could be confused but I think it's him. Wanted to be a frog.

I'm sure you are right. So that would explain the solid commitment. I'm just glad that an offer to play for TCU is not just a ploy to get "better" offer and means something to this young man.

nwlafrog

I talked with a friend at the gym today who is a local HS teacher and a yuuuuuge LSU fan. Good hombre and pretty trustworthy. anyway...... Bro said that Rogers is 100% TCU, but everything he has heard about Marshall is LSU. Says they aren't as much of a package deal as we think.

Personally, I think we land them both.

netty2424

I talked with a friend at the gym today who is a local HS teacher and a yuuuuuge LSU fan. Good hombre and pretty trustworthy. anyway...... Bro said that Rogers is 100% TCU, but everything he has heard about Marshall is LSU. Says they aren't as much of a package deal as we think.

Personally, I think we land them both.
Playing at LSU in front of that atmosphere would be incredible. But for a receiver as highly touted as Marshall, can't understand why he'd want to end up in that offense without a QB year after year. Assuming Rogers doesn't end up at LSU.

nwlafrog

Playing at LSU in front of that atmosphere would be incredible. But for a receiver as highly touted as Marshall, can't understand why he'd want to end up in that offense without a QB year after year. Assuming Rogers doesn't end up at LSU.

That was my comment as well. Apparently they've signed some QB talent from the last class from what I was told and Marshall would fit right in. Can't remember the names and other QB prospects, but it's looking a bit better for the Tigers apparently. But then again 99% of LSU fans are sunshine pumpers. I'll do some research on their draft class tomorrow to see if he was full of ship or being serious about their QB situation.

He is a big GMFP fan though. Asked if we were ready to run him off yet because LSU needs him.

netty2424

That was my comment as well. Apparently they've signed some QB talent from the last class from what I was told and Marshall would fit right in. Can't remember the names and other QB prospects, but it's looking a bit better for the Tigers apparently. But then again 99% of LSU fans are sunshine pumpers. I'll do some research on their draft class tomorrow to see if he was full of ship or being serious about their QB situation.

He is a big GMFP fan though. Asked if we were ready to run him off yet because LSU needs him.

Tell him they can't have him.

nwlafrog

Neil May (Parkway HS head coach) and I are pretty tight. I'll see what I can get out of him the next time we talk to find some more info on the croots. Bumped into him at the boardwalk the other day, but didn't think to ask about croot news.

Edit: Sorry for being a POS fan and not asking questions about the frogs. Dude was my coach back in the gap and I got caught up just bullshipping.

ScottPatrick

I often find interesting info from the Times-Picayune on Louisiana recruits and recently they finished updating their Nifty 50 for the class of 2018. Here are some of the recruits with TCU interest (Note TCU Commit Devin Phillips nickname is "The Butcher":

(Of interest in Number 21 through 50:)

xavier-lodge2jpg-c7645d5e19bb7a44.jpg

No. 44 Xavier Lodge, S, 5-10, 185, Woodlawn, PR: 36
The consensus around the recruiting circles about Lodge is that he is an athletic defensive back with a linebackers skillset. This has served him well in high school, but he needs to continue working on his ability to back pedal, transition and flip his hips as a defensive back, all areas in which he needs to still improve. The good thing for Lodge is that he is an extremely good football player who is explosive and possesses good instincts.

James Smith, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

Xavier Lodge's junior season highlights

derius-davis3jpg-f9b9d4e9ca372715.jpg

No. 34 Derius Davis
, ATH, 5-9, 160, West Feliciana, PR: 38
Davis has track speed, but is not a track guy. He is a football player first and foremost. He is dangerous with the ball in his hands, but has shown the ability to play the nickel cornerback position at a high level in 7-on-7 play this spring. He is extremely explosive and is capable of getting physical with much bigger receivers.

Derius Davis' junior season highlights

israel-mukuamujpg-ce5cc1064ca3b63a.jpg

No. 30 Israel Mukuamu, DB, 6-3, 190, Parkway, PR: NR
This South Carolina transplant is still a bit of an unknown around these parts, but a few things are evident: he has a rare blend of length and athleticism. Mukuamu has the fluidity of a cornerback in a safety's body. Parkway is grateful he relocated. Mukuamu has seen a large uptick in his recruitment this spring, and he may end up being ranked a lot higher than this in the next rankings release.

Israel Mukuamu's junior season highlights

No. 27 John Stephens Jr., ATH, 6-4, 220, Logansport, PR: NR
I am falling more in love with Stephens' game every time I watch his film. Yes, he's raw. Yes, he does not have a definitive position, yet, but the upside is evident and his versatility only helps him in these rankings. Stephens plays a lot of receiver, and does so at a high level, but I am more intrigued by his play on defense. He is long, quick and athletic, and could be a premier pass-rusher in a 3-4 scheme. Word out of Logansport is that he may prefer receiver, but it may be in his best interest to reconsider, given his upside at a premium position.

James Smith

John Stephens' junior season highlights

devin-phillipsjpg-b503a60b846116b5.jpg

No. 24 Devin Phillips, OG, 6-3, 300, Neville, PR: 18
Nicknamed "The Butcher," Devin Phillips plays with a nasty disposition and moves the pile in the trenches. He does a great job shooting his hands inside, winning leverage battles and driving defenders off the ball.

Devin Phillips' junior season highlights

joe-fouchajpg-fb42e2b46c299b33.jpg

No. 21 Joe Foucha, S, 5-11, 195, McDonogh 35, PR: 22
There is a ton to love about Foucha's game, but there are also some areas he needs to continue working on. Foucha is a high-energy, physical safety, but lacks discipline at times. He can be overaggressive in pursuit and his eyes are in the backfield a little more than they should be. Nevertheless, he is an absolute monster on the field, and is one of the state's more intimidating defenders. If he continues to iron out some issues in his game, Foucha could end up playing for a long time.

Follow
JSF7️⃣ @joe_foucha

Yesterday at Auburn University.....
1f4aa-1f3fe.png

Joe Foucha visited Auburn on May 7

Joe Foucha's highlights

ScottPatrick

Numbers 20 to 6 with TCU interest:

No. 20T Glenn Beal,
TE, 6-4, 250, John Curtis, PR: 21
Beal is a bit of a throwback tight end who does a good job run blocking, while showing a soft set of hands capable of making plays in the passing game. He is an inline tight end who is best suited for your more conventional offensive scheme and alignments.

Glenn Beal's junior season highlights

trae-shropshirejpg-8b5654300ecd7cf2.jpg

No. 20 T Trae Shropshire, WR, 6-3, 180, Zachary, PR: NR
Shropshire was going to blow up this spring, but sustained an unfortunate injury that stopped him from being able to show his talents to college coaches during the evaluation period. But he was able to pull in offers from Kansas and Arizona State, so there was some positive movement on that front. Shropshire has great speed and size for the position, and was starting to show signs that it was all coming together before his injury. He is expected to make a full recovery, which should lead to a monster senior season and more opportunities being made available.

Trae Shropshire's junior season highlights

slade-bolden2jpg-f71840f8557b2e03.jpg

No. 17 Slade Bolden, ATH, 5-11, 195, West Monroe, PR: 22
How can you not love Slade Bolden? There is nothing this guy can't or won't do for his West Monroe team. Not only that, he does it all at a high level. His best position at the next level may just be at running back, with the ability to move to the slot and help out tremendously in the passing game. Oh yeah, he's a high-level catcher in baseball, too.

Slade Bolden's junior season highlights

eddie-smith3jpg-0359f7ee4d446e99.jpg

No. 16 Eddie Smith, CB, 6-0, 170, Salmen, PR: 32
Although he climbed 16 spots from the previous update, there is still room and time for Smith to move up in future releases. He has everything you look for in a cornerback: he is fluid, fast, long, athletic, aggressive, tough and has good ball skills. The only thing he lacks is a lot of experience at the position.

lawrence-keys2jpg-cdb22bd1d67ef86a.jpg

No. 13 Lawrence Keys, WR, 5-10, 170, McDonogh 35, PR: 10
Keys always had speed, but he has improved his route running, hand usage at the line to beat press coverage and even catches the ball more consistently than he has in the past. Keys has proven to be a tough cover on Friday nights and at camps, and the speed in which he plays should allow him to contribute early at the next level.

Lawrence Keys' junior season highlights

cameron-wirejpg-de05863025445035.jpg

No. 10 Cameron Wire, OT, 6-6, 270, East Ascension, PR: 9
Wire has blown up this spring, with offers pouring in from a plethora of premier programs, including LSU and Alabama. He had a breakout season in 2016, outplaying left tackle Adrian Ealy at times, who has since moved on to continue his career at Oklahoma.

Julie Boudwin, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

Cameron Wire scouting report
Wire has tremendous length and bends well at the knee. He still lacks ideal upper-body development and does not show the explosiveness in his hips to give the knock-back effect needed to be dominant in the running game. He is light on his feet, though, getting good depth on his kick-step, while remaining under control. At times, he can be caught lunging and could improve his punch strength and hand placement.

There are still some technical aspects of his game that need work, and he needs to be a mainstay in the weight room, but this is normal for young offensive linemen. Wire'ss improvement from his sophomore to junior seasons is head-turning, giving confidence to the notion that he can continue his upward progression as a player. He has the demeanor to get dirty in the trenches and the leg drive to move defenders off their point, so there are a lot of good qualities to work with.

James Smith

Cameron Wire's junior season highlights

No. 7 Dare Rosenthal, ATH, 6-6, 310, Ferriday, PR: 2
Rosenthal's drop is solely due to his desire to play on the defensive line, whereas I see more potential at offensive tackle. He is a solid prospect regardless, worthy of a top 10 ranking. He is more explosive than Cameron Wire, and could be explosive enough to play on the defensive line, but has elite upside at offensive tackle.

Dare Rosenthal scouting report
You won't find many big men that move like Rosenthal does, hence the desire to play on the defensive line. He uncoils his hips and is explosive off the line. He can play high at times, although he does show the ability to bend. This is likely just an issue of not having to be technically sound, due to his ability to just dominant his current opponents.

He redirects well and shows the ability to be effective in pursuit, but can take plays off at times. His upper body strength will need to improve, regardless of the side of the ball he plays on at the next level, but he does show good lower body strength and ability to drive the opposition backwards on initial impact and with continued leg drive.

Rosenthal lacks ideal technical application on both sides of the ball at this stage of his development. He doesn't use his hands as well as he should on the defensive line, could do a better job staying square and disengaging. As an offensive lineman he has showed inadequate hand placement and is not comfortable in his kick step, often taking angles instead of dropping straight back.

Rosenthal has tremendous upside, but it may take a little time to tap into it. He is athletic enough to play on the defensive line, but could be elite at offensive tackle.

James Smith

Dare Rosenthal's junior season highlights